RE: [NH] info pop up

  • Chris Dart
    Message 1 of 20 , Nov 21, 2007
      Hi,

      I am not sure where all this has got to so far but I use this scheme.
      You will notice there is a close window function. If there are several
      pop-ups then each can have the same name and use the same window which
      is closed when the main window closes (see call in body tag). The url to
      fill the window is passed by 'url' along with with all size, scrollbar
      etc by 'size'.

      In header of calling page:

      function infoWindow(infoURL,shortinfo,size)
      {
      if (typeof (popWindow) == "undefined" || popWindow.closed == true) //
      no pop window
      { // if you do not check state of pop window first you will get error
      if in wrong state
      popWindow = window.open(infoURL,"shortInfo",size); // make pop window
      popWindow.focus();
      return false;
      }
      else
      {
      popWindow.close();
      popWindow = window.open(infoURL,"shortInfo",size); // there is a pop
      window so close it
      popWindow.focus(); // and open new
      window with new url
      return false;
      }
      }

      function closeWindow()
      {
      if (typeof (popWindow) == "undefined" || popWindow.closed == true)
      {
      return false; // if window closed do nothing
      }

      else
      {
      popWindow.close(); // not closed so close it
      }
      }

      Body of calling page:

      In the link calling the pop-up:

      onclick="return
      infoWindow('Personnel/HolidaysATV/Pop_HolsATV.htm','popWindow','width=95
      0,height=550,left=20,top=20,resizable=yes,scrollbars=yes')"
      target="_blank"

      'Personnel/HolidaysATV/Pop_HolsATV.htm' = infoURL

      'popWindow' = shortInfo (window name)

      'width=950,height=550,left=20,top=20,resizable=yes,scrollbars=yes'
      Note that if you put anything in size then ONLY that is shown. If
      nothing in size then all is shown. If for example you leave
      'resizable=yes' out then it cannot be resized - often annoying!
      left and top are position and width and height are size.

      You need nothing special in the called page.

      Regards

      Chris Dart
      Mobile: +31 652 460 610

      ________________________________

      Message 2 of 20 , Nov 21, 2007
        Chris Dart wrote:
        > If there are several pop-ups then each can have the same name
        > and use the same window which
        > is closed when the main window closes (see call in body tag).

        I hope you will all remember that very many users will have scripts
        turned off in their browsers. Something similar goes for my suggestion,
        there may well be no CSS support, but in that case there is no
        diplay:none and all additional information is always shown - you need to
        make sure, it is not all a jumble though and meaningful when traversed
        linearly through a reader.

        Axel
      • GilaMountainDulcimers.com
        Message 3 of 20 , Nov 21, 2007
          This is PERFECT, John!!!! Thank you!!!
          It only has two options for positioning, however -- center or random. I can live with it though and the visitor can move it over to where they want it. But this is great! Thank you sooooooo much! I have bookmarked the site and will use it for other things.

          Message 4 of 20 , Nov 21, 2007
            I am a copy and paste kind of gal and now my problem is solved. Thank EVERYONE for their help in this. You guys are just too great!!!!!

            Message 5 of 20 , Nov 21, 2007

              > I hope you will all remember that very many users will have scripts
              > turned off in their browsers.

              Axel I agree that on a serious web site, which my personal site
              certainly isn't, one should never rely exclusively on scripted links.
              That's why in those situations I always provide standard html links
              in addition to the fancier scripted ones.

              That said, I also have to say that about 95% of the people I know
              personally (in face to face life) have no idea what a web browser even
              is. Let alone knowing which one they use or how they might go about
              configuring it. The same people couldn't tell you the program they
              use for email either, when I ask them they almost always say "The one
              with the blue and white icon".

              It boggles my mind sometimes.

              John
            • John Zeman
              Message 6 of 20 , Nov 21, 2007
                Glad to hear that does what you want Kerry.

                dynamicdrive.com has quite a few neat and free scripts there.

                Message 7 of 20 , Nov 21, 2007
                  If I can remember, I will direct you all to the website once I get it done. I expect it will take me a couple months yet. I have about 200 pages to re-build and I am taking out all the tables and going with css all the way. It is almost a total redesign, using a totally different template. I am REALLY learning a LOT!!! And it is a trial and error thing on a lot of stuff so it takes me a day just to get a couple pages done. It is harder, I think, to do a re-design than it is just to build the thing from scratch. It gets real confusing with all the copying and pasting of content -- making sure you don't miss anything or leave anything out. It is so nice that NoteTabPro has an "undo" button!!! LOL
                  Hope I can remember to send you all there when I am done because it is turning out pretty cool.