Loading ...
Sorry, an error occurred while loading the content.
 

Re: [NH] DOCTYPE and content-type, validation=> Pelase bear with me!

Expand Messages
  • WV-Mike
    ... I found this interesting thread: http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-validator/2007May/0020.html -Mike _________________________________ Check it out:
    Message 1 of 6 , Nov 11 9:48 AM
      At 10:44 AM 11/11/2007 , loro wrote:
      >Mike wrote:
      > >If I use this and do nothing on the server with the .htaccess file or
      > >anything else, will I be good to go?
      >
      >You can't htaccess it since you use PHP. The content-type for .php
      >can't be text/html. That will stop PHP scripts from working,
      >
      > ><meta http-equiv="content-type" content="text/html; charset=us-ascii">
      >
      >In practice, yes. I wouldn't use us-ascii though. A little limiting,
      >wouldn't you say? :-P Lott

      I found this interesting thread:
      http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-validator/2007May/0020.html

      -Mike

      _________________________________
      Check it out:
      www.EpicRoadTrips.us
      ~~~
      To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we
      are to stand by the President , right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and
      servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public.
      -Theodore Roosevelt ( 1859-1919) 2rth President of the United States and
      Winner of the 1906 Noble Peace Prize.
      ~~~
    • loro
      ... Something that covers the characters you may write. Ascii probably covers most of it since you speak English, but it s enough to write a British pound sign
      Message 2 of 6 , Nov 11 10:47 AM
        Mike wrote:
        >And you would use...?

        Something that covers the characters you may write. Ascii probably
        covers most of it since you speak English, but it's enough to write a
        British pound sign or a Swedish name with accented characters to
        break it. And wouldn't that be sad? I'd say some flavor of iso-latin
        or utf-8, as others have suggested..

        The important thing is to save the text in the format you declare on
        the server. That means that if you choose utf-8 you are still limited
        to ascii characters, as far as typing them goes, if you use Notetab.
        That's because those characters are the only ones that are encoded
        the same way in unicode and ansi (on the byte level). So if you
        wanted to write for example the beautiful letter "Ä", you would have
        to use some kind of character reference because Notetab would save it
        as Ansi and it would mean something else in utf-8. Now, you probably
        have to do that anyway because I suspect your keyboard doesn't have
        an Ä key, but if you copied some text with non ascii characters you
        would have to replace them with character references. If you use
        iso-latin you can type or paste most Western European characters in Notetab.

        Now I've managed to confuse even myself. I don't understand all this
        encoding mumbo jumbo, but I think the bottom line is what I said above.

        Lotta
      • WV-Mike
        ... Since I don t know any ferrin lingos I think charset=us-ascii will do for me. Anyway, everyone speaks English, right?
        Message 3 of 6 , Nov 12 3:30 AM
          At 01:47 PM 11/11/2007 , you wrote:
          >Mike wrote:
          > >And you would use...?
          >
          >Something that covers the characters you may write. Ascii probably
          >covers most of it since you speak English, but it's enough to write a
          >British pound sign or a Swedish name with accented characters to
          >break it.

          Since I don't know any ferrin' lingos I think charset=us-ascii will do for me.
          Anyway, everyone speaks English, right? <;)

          >The important thing is to save the text in the format you declare on
          >the server. That means that if you choose utf-8 you are still limited
          >to ascii characters, as far as typing them goes, if you use Notetab.
          >That's because those characters are the only ones that are encoded
          >the same way in unicode and ansi (on the byte level). So if you
          ><SNIP>
          >
          >Now I've managed to confuse even myself. I don't understand all this
          >encoding mumbo jumbo, but I think the bottom line is what I said above.

          As my dearly departed dad used to say to me: "You know just enough to be
          dangerous".

          Thanks! I think I am beginning to see some light at the end of the tunnel.
          -Mike
        Your message has been successfully submitted and would be delivered to recipients shortly.