[NH] Re: Links - underlining of

  • Nicole Simon
    Message 1 of 5 , Jul 2, 1999
      > links. The page that I am doing for a friend is an index of about 300
      > names, each of which is obviously an active link, that is why they are

      ok :o)

      > an issue. With a straight list of 300 names the underlining just looks
      > superfluous and distracting - and of course in table form takes longer to
      > download.

      ahm - because of the underlining?! sure you mean the table.

      > Is there a better way of lining up columns of text in an orderly fashion
      > than using a table format? I have never been successful at keeping columns

      Yes, using a clever table.
      You can have dozens of tablerows or you just make 'five row a table'

      <TABLE >
      <TR>
      <TD> </TD>
      [...]
      <TD> </TD>
      </TR>
      [tr repeated several times]
      </TABLE>

      but
      <TABLE >
      <TR>
      <TD> </TD>
      [...]
      <TD> </TD>
      </TR>
      </TABLE>
      <TABLE >
      <TR>
      <TD> </TD>
      [...]
      <TD> </TD>
      </TR>
      </TABLE>

      It depends on your table. Of course you shouldn't do this by hand, you
      should try to automate this. Yes, it is easier to do this by hand now, but
      this will be saved and changed and then you perhaps have to do this again.

      Perhaps you can give a link to look at? Then we could make better
      suggestions.

      > print, some not etc). Is it do-able with tabs - I have never used tabs
      > with my html, I usually use spacing instead.

      no, it isn't; there are no tabs and spaces (spaces are only relevant in
      <pre></pre>.

      --
      »So, you're searching for alien life forms? Don't you meet
      enough strange people in discussion lists like this one? ;o)«

      eGroups.com home: http://www.egroups.com/group/ntb-html
    • Bob Janes
      Message 2 of 5 , Jul 2, 1999
        >> and of course in table form takes longer to download.

        > ahm - because of the underlining?! sure you mean the table.

        As I understand it, it's not that the table takes a long time to download but
        that most browsers don't start to display the table until it has all downloaded.
        So using text or short chunks of table gives much quicker visual feed-back to
        the user and helps stop them getting impatient. (I believe that IE5 is the
        exception that now displays tables as they down-load.)

        Best regards

        Bob

        --

        Bob Janes
        Webster & Janes Ltd

        eGroups.com home: http://www.egroups.com/group/ntb-html
      • Glenn Dixon
        Message 3 of 5 , Jul 2, 1999
          Bob,

          I have IE5.0 and I recently gained the responsibility of updating a web page
          which contains one medium and one LARGE table. I can assure you that IE 5.0
          does NOT display a table until it is all loaded. On a 56K modem this page
          takes 35+ seconds to load up the 2nd table....maybe longer!