Re: [NH] DOCTYPES and content-type

    Message 1 of 33 , Nov 8, 2007
      WV-Mike wrote:
      > Is there a relationship between the DOCTYPE and Content-type.

      No the two are completely independant of one another.

      As to your choices:

      This is fine but it tends to be a bit fundamentalist about separation of
      content and layout. I agree with the principle, but I also hold
      backwards compatibility and non-exclusion highly. Thus my own choice is
      4.01 Transitional with the odd ALIGN="RIGHT" or something thrown in. If
      you declare "strict" then don't forget to validate and make sure you
      abide by it.

      So I use
      "http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/loose.dtd">

      This is what the W3C themselves say:
      > Authors should use the Strict DTD unless they need the
      > presentation control for user agents that don't (adequately)
      > support style sheets.

      That's the one I use myself. Again the 127 characters of the basic
      standardized ASCII are the most compatible choice. As an American you
      have less trouble with than than we with our accents and umlauts, but be
      careful: You can directly type several extended characters right from
      your keyboard. Doing so will invalidate your page. I often get an ä or é
      or ² slipped in that I only find with validation. To make things easy
      for yourself, ands especially if there may be others editing your
      content, you should declare the native local character set of your
      computer. For a site I prepared not for myself alone I used:

      > <META HTTP-EQUIV="Content-Type"
      > CONTENT="text/html; charset=windows-1252">

      > Or is this preferrable:

      It would be if that is your native charset. In my own W98 it's not, but
      I don't know about XP. If you declare UTF-8 but use 1252 you're in real
      trouble.

      Hope this helps
      Axel
    • Corl DeLuna
      Message 33 of 33 , Nov 13, 2007
        Obrigado Marcelo, Thank you.

        This should help a lot in beginning to understand tidy.

        Too many options galore! http://tidy.sourceforge.net/docs/quickref.html

        But what I really need to do is pare it down to simply converting to UTF-8
        at the end of the publishing process.

        Best,
        Corl

        To the Marvelous NoteTab developers, BIG REQUEST - Native UTF-8 support in
        NTP. At least on Win 2000/XP/Vista which I believe are Unicode based
        already. Thanks!