Re: [NH] DOCTYPES and content-type

  • Marcelo Listas
    Message 1 of 33 , Nov 8, 2007
      WV-Mike wrote:
      > The more I read about this ( again), the more confused I get.
      >
      > I have this for my DOCTYPE:

      This is fine, as long as your page DOES validate as HTML 4.01 strict.
      > And this for Content-type:
      >
      > Is that OK?
      >
      > Or is this preferrable:

      Both are correct. Which one to use depends on whether you are using
      UTF-8 to encode "high" characters (such as "smart quotes") in your page.
      There are other possible values, too -- although they might be less
      widely supported.

      But using <meta http-equiv> is a kinda fallback and a bit of a hack. The
      recommended way to indicate encoding is by means of the HTTP headers.
      Those are set up in your web server software.

      > Is there a relationship between the DOCTYPE and Content-type.

      Not really.

      Marcelo
    • Corl DeLuna
      Message 33 of 33 , Nov 13, 2007
        Obrigado Marcelo, Thank you.

        This should help a lot in beginning to understand tidy.

        Too many options galore! http://tidy.sourceforge.net/docs/quickref.html

        But what I really need to do is pare it down to simply converting to UTF-8
        at the end of the publishing process.

        Best,
        Corl

        To the Marvelous NoteTab developers, BIG REQUEST - Native UTF-8 support in
        NTP. At least on Win 2000/XP/Vista which I believe are Unicode based
        already. Thanks!