Re: ALT text: WAS=> Re: [NH] ID/Target # => will not work in FF2.0.9

    Message 1 of 2 , Nov 8, 2007
      WV-Mike wrote:
      > But, search engine optimization does seem to be reason enough to use ALT text.

      There is one exception, when I only write ALT="Bild" or ALT="Image" and
      that's when I make an image plus it's caption into a table (imho this
      makes it genuine tabular data belonging together, not just layout).
      Otherwise I make TITLE the same as ALT so anyone can get a short
      description of what exactly is depicted.
      I always write an ALT and never specify sizes, as this combination works
      best for viewers with graphics turned off.
      I use Netscape 4.8 without CSS and with graphics off to evaluate the
      accessibility of my code. It is not what a blind user gets, but it comes
      as near as is quickly and easily achievable.

      > p.s. Is the "N.B:" above an abbreviation for nota bene, a latin
      > expression meaning "note well"? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NB
      > I confess to being ignorant as to it's meaning.

      That's where it comes from, but the use in German is more a "by the way"
      or "speaking of which" and the English wiktionary says "used to add an
      aside or warning to a text".

      Message 2 of 2 , Nov 8, 2007
        >There is one exception, when I only write ALT="Bild" or ALT="Image" and
        >that's when I make an image plus it's caption into a table

        Why? Why not use an empty alt? If the alt text isn't needed, well, it
        isn't needed. Who benefits from being told an image is an image?

        >Otherwise I make TITLE the same as ALT so anyone can get a short
        >description of what exactly is depicted.

        Isn't title alone enough for that?

        >I always write an ALT and never specify sizes, as this combination works
        >best for viewers with graphics turned off.
        >I use Netscape 4.8 without CSS and with graphics off to evaluate the
        >accessibility of my code. It is not what a blind user gets, but it comes
        >as near as is quickly and easily achievable.

        Blind users would get a lot of "image" read out to them...