Re: [NH] Browsers Don't Render HTML

  • Ray Shapp
    Message 1 of 7 , Nov 4, 2007
      Hi Dave,

      Thanks for your reply.

      My friend uses a basic text editor on the Mac called "TextEditor". It is
      similar to Notepad. He is using Firefox and MSIE.

      This is really not a HTML question. We all agree that the code he is using is
      flawless. The question is about the behavior of the browsers on the Mac. Why
      don't they render this HTML document as expected? Here again (below) is the
      document which he is saving as "test.html".

      Ray Shapp

      "http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/loose.dtd">
      <head>
      <title>My first HTML page</title>
      </head>
    • John Wallace
      Message 2 of 7 , Nov 4, 2007
        How is he opening the file?
        With the broswer's file open command or from the text editor?

        John Wallace
        Pontiac Power RULES !!!
        www.wallaceracing.com

        _____

        My friend uses a basic text editor on the Mac called "TextEditor"-. It is
        similar to Notepad. He is using Firefox and MSIE.

        This is really not a HTML question. We all agree that the code he is using is
        flawless. The question is about the behavior of the browsers on the Mac. Why
        don't they render this HTML document as expected? Here again (below) is the
        document which he is saving as "test.html".

        Ray Shapp

        <!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01 Transitional/-/EN"
        "HYPERLINK "http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/loose.dtd"http://www.w3.-org/TR/html4/-loose.dtd">
        <head>
        <title>My first HTML page</title>
        </head>

        Checked by AVG Free Edition.

      • Corl DeLuna
        Message 3 of 7 , Nov 4, 2007
          Hi Ray,

          The mark up validates http://validator.w3.org/#validate_by_input.

          In Firefox I can drag the test.html file into a window to open it, I can use
          the menu File > Open File and browse to select the test.html. Both should
          work about the same with MSIE. If neither of these work your friend isn't
          saving it as html, and I don't know if there are Mac tricks with TextEditor
          to do that. http://www.google.com/search?hl=en
          <http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&as_qdr=all&q=HTML+TextEditor+mac&btnG=Se
          arch> &as_qdr=all&q=HTML+TextEditor+mac&btnG=Search

          Best,
          Corl

          _____

          "http://www.w3 <http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/loose.dtd>
          org/TR/html4/loose.dtd">
          <head>
          <title>My first HTML page</title>
          </head>

        • sisterscape
          Message 4 of 7 , Nov 4, 2007
            --- Corl DeLuna <corl@...> wrote:
            > If neither of these work your friend isn't
            > saving it as html, and I don't know if there are Mac tricks with
            > TextEditor to do that.

            The Mac users that I know are completely clueless about things like
            this. I can explain and explain and they still don't 'get it'. Sigh .
            . .

            Does he have file extensions hidden by default? I think I remember it
            being that way in Windoze. If he makes them visible, he can see what
            the file is saved as.

            Good luck!

            http://mail.yahoo.com