Re: [NH] Browsers Don't Render HTML

  • fw7oaks
    Message 1 of 7 , Nov 4, 2007
      The Mac 'notepad' is called TextEdit and if you cut and paste the text below
      into it will offer to save it either as RTF or Word format. Even if you force
      the issue by typing in the extension 'html' it will open with TextEdit if you
      click on it.

      He's probably running Safari which will if you use the command file open, to
      view the file (new.html) you have created will display 'Hello World'.

      To get the file to open in Safari using TextEdit you need to paste the text you
      have swiped from below, then use Format, Make plain text and then save, forcing
      the extension html. Then you get a clickable, viewable in a browser html file.

      fw

    • Ray Shapp
      Message 2 of 7 , Nov 4, 2007
        Hi Dave,

        Thanks for your reply.

        My friend uses a basic text editor on the Mac called "TextEditor". It is
        similar to Notepad. He is using Firefox and MSIE.

        This is really not a HTML question. We all agree that the code he is using is
        flawless. The question is about the behavior of the browsers on the Mac. Why
        don't they render this HTML document as expected? Here again (below) is the
        document which he is saving as "test.html".

        Ray Shapp

        "http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/loose.dtd">
        <head>
        <title>My first HTML page</title>
        </head>
      • John Wallace
        Message 3 of 7 , Nov 4, 2007
          How is he opening the file?
          With the broswer's file open command or from the text editor?

          John Wallace
          Pontiac Power RULES !!!
          www.wallaceracing.com

          _____

          "HYPERLINK "http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/loose.dtd"http://www.w3.-org/TR/html4/-loose.dtd">
          <head>
          <title>My first HTML page</title>
          </head>

          Checked by AVG Free Edition.

        • Corl DeLuna
          Message 4 of 7 , Nov 4, 2007
            Hi Ray,

            The mark up validates http://validator.w3.org/#validate_by_input.

            In Firefox I can drag the test.html file into a window to open it, I can use
            the menu File > Open File and browse to select the test.html. Both should
            work about the same with MSIE. If neither of these work your friend isn't
            saving it as html, and I don't know if there are Mac tricks with TextEditor
            to do that. http://www.google.com/search?hl=en
            <http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&as_qdr=all&q=HTML+TextEditor+mac&btnG=Se
            arch> &as_qdr=all&q=HTML+TextEditor+mac&btnG=Search

            Best,
            Corl

            _____

            "http://www.w3 <http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/loose.dtd>
            org/TR/html4/loose.dtd">
            <head>
            <title>My first HTML page</title>
            </head>

          • sisterscape
            Message 5 of 7 , Nov 4, 2007
              --- Corl DeLuna <corl@...> wrote:
              > If neither of these work your friend isn't
              > saving it as html, and I don't know if there are Mac tricks with
              > TextEditor to do that.

              The Mac users that I know are completely clueless about things like
              this. I can explain and explain and they still don't 'get it'. Sigh .
              . .

              Does he have file extensions hidden by default? I think I remember it
              being that way in Windoze. If he makes them visible, he can see what
              the file is saved as.

              Good luck!

              http://mail.yahoo.com