Browsers Don't Render HTML

  • Ray Shapp
    Message 1 of 7 , Nov 3, 2007
      Hello All,

      I am trying to help a friend get started with HTML. Two complications are
      that: a) I'm doing this long distance. He is over an hour away. b) He is using
      a Mac computer, and I have successfully avoided knowing anything about that
      breed.

      Our first obstacle is that the short bit of code below is rendered by Firefox
      and Internet Explorer as text on my friend's Mac. IOW, the browsers don't
      display "Hello world.". Instead, they display all the text shown below. My
      friend is certain that the code is stored in a file called "test.html". He
      assures me that the file name does not have any hidden extension such as
      ".txt".

      When I store the same text into a file called "test.htm" on my computer
      (running WinXP Home), it renders as expected in MSIE v6.0 and in Firefox
      v2.0.0.8.

      Can you tell me what troubleshooting I should do to cause my friend's browsers
      to correctly render this bit of code?

      Thanks for the help.

      Ray Shapp

      "http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/loose.dtd">
      <head>
      <title>My first HTML page</title>
      </head>
    • Dave
      Message 2 of 7 , Nov 3, 2007
        Hi
        It looks OK to me but do know what browser the Mac running ,I do not know
        what a Mac uses for text editor i.e. notepad in windows, you should be able
        to put the basic page in to text editor and rename it "new.html" and it
        should work try below.
        <head>
        <title>My first HTML page</title>
        </head>
        THANKYOU DAVE M

        > I am trying to help a friend get started with HTML. Two complications are
        > that: a) I'm doing this long distance. He is over an hour away. b) He is
        > using
        > a Mac computer, and I have successfully avoided knowing anything about
        > that
        > breed.
        >
        > Our first obstacle is that the short bit of code below is rendered by
        > Firefox
        > and Internet Explorer as text on my friend's Mac. IOW, the browsers don't
        > display "Hello world.". Instead, they display all the text shown below. My
        > friend is certain that the code is stored in a file called "test.html". He
        > assures me that the file name does not have any hidden extension such as
        > ".txt".
        >
        > When I store the same text into a file called "test.htm" on my computer
        > (running WinXP Home), it renders as expected in MSIE v6.0 and in Firefox
        > v2.0.0.8.
        >
        > Can you tell me what troubleshooting I should do to cause my friend's
        > browsers
        > to correctly render this bit of code?
        >
        > Thanks for the help.
        >
        > Ray Shapp

        > <head>
        > <title>My first HTML page</title>
        > </head>
        >

        > NoteTab site: http://www.notetab.com/
        > Fookes Software site: http://www.fookes.com/
        > Yahoo! Groups Links

      • fw7oaks
        Message 3 of 7 , Nov 4, 2007
          The Mac 'notepad' is called TextEdit and if you cut and paste the text below
          into it will offer to save it either as RTF or Word format. Even if you force
          the issue by typing in the extension 'html' it will open with TextEdit if you
          click on it.

          He's probably running Safari which will if you use the command file open, to
          view the file (new.html) you have created will display 'Hello World'.

          To get the file to open in Safari using TextEdit you need to paste the text you
          have swiped from below, then use Format, Make plain text and then save, forcing
          the extension html. Then you get a clickable, viewable in a browser html file.

          fw

        • Ray Shapp
          Message 4 of 7 , Nov 4, 2007
            Hi Dave,

            Thanks for your reply.

            My friend uses a basic text editor on the Mac called "TextEditor". It is
            similar to Notepad. He is using Firefox and MSIE.

            This is really not a HTML question. We all agree that the code he is using is
            flawless. The question is about the behavior of the browsers on the Mac. Why
            don't they render this HTML document as expected? Here again (below) is the
            document which he is saving as "test.html".

            Ray Shapp

            "http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/loose.dtd">
            <head>
            <title>My first HTML page</title>
            </head>
          • John Wallace
            Message 5 of 7 , Nov 4, 2007
              How is he opening the file?
              With the broswer's file open command or from the text editor?

              John Wallace
              Pontiac Power RULES !!!
              www.wallaceracing.com

              _____

              "HYPERLINK "http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/loose.dtd"http://www.w3.-org/TR/html4/-loose.dtd">
              <head>
              <title>My first HTML page</title>
              </head>

              Checked by AVG Free Edition.

            • Corl DeLuna
              Message 6 of 7 , Nov 4, 2007
                Hi Ray,

                The mark up validates http://validator.w3.org/#validate_by_input.

                In Firefox I can drag the test.html file into a window to open it, I can use
                the menu File > Open File and browse to select the test.html. Both should
                work about the same with MSIE. If neither of these work your friend isn't
                saving it as html, and I don't know if there are Mac tricks with TextEditor
                to do that. http://www.google.com/search?hl=en
                <http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&as_qdr=all&q=HTML+TextEditor+mac&btnG=Se
                arch> &as_qdr=all&q=HTML+TextEditor+mac&btnG=Search

                Best,
                Corl

                _____

                "http://www.w3 <http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/loose.dtd>
                org/TR/html4/loose.dtd">
                <head>
                <title>My first HTML page</title>
                </head>

              • sisterscape
                Message 7 of 7 , Nov 4, 2007
                  --- Corl DeLuna <corl@...> wrote:
                  > If neither of these work your friend isn't
                  > saving it as html, and I don't know if there are Mac tricks with
                  > TextEditor to do that.

                  The Mac users that I know are completely clueless about things like
                  this. I can explain and explain and they still don't 'get it'. Sigh .
                  . .

                  Does he have file extensions hidden by default? I think I remember it
                  being that way in Windoze. If he makes them visible, he can see what
                  the file is saved as.

                  Good luck!

                  http://mail.yahoo.com