Re: [NH] NoteTab and Safari

  • Marcelo de Castro Bastos
    Message 1 of 15 , Oct 27, 2007
      Interviewed by CNN on 26/10/2007 20:28, buralex@... told the world:

      > Marcelo: did you try my suggestions in:
      >
      > The key point was that Safari appears to need "-url" in its command
      > line. If this is done Safari can be set up as either primary or
      > secondary browser in Notetab toolbar.

      Yeah, I tried it now and surprise... it WORKED.

      I had kinda dismissed it at first, because I had previously found the
      -url info and it hadn't worked in my original test with local files.
      Turns out that apparently it only works with full URLs OR full
      pathnames, so my original command-line tests failed (because I just
      copied a HTML file to the current folder and tried to open it directly).

      Thanks for making me have another look at it. I still think it's stupid
      that Apple (you know, that company that claims their products "just
      work") makes the users jump through all these hoops. But now at least
      there's an easy way to do the HTML testing.

      Marcelo

      -=-=-
      Unable to locate Coffee -- Operator Halted!
      * TagZilla 0.066 on Seamonkey 1.1.5
    • Marcelo de Castro Bastos
      Message 2 of 15 , Nov 15, 2007
        Interviewed by CNN on 21/10/2007 03:06, buralex@... told the world:
        > OK ... not yet tested but this appears to be the format of the command
        > line used by Windows when it invokes Safari as the default browser:
        >
        > * "C:\Program Files\AmbPF\Safari\Safari.exe" -url
        > "http://www.jamendo.com/en/?p=music"
        > o pasting the above in Start-Run box successfully invokes
        > Safari. YIPPEE!!
        >
        > So ... I put this entry in "browsers.dat":
        >
        > [Safari]
        > Application=Safari
        > Command=C:\Program Files\AmbPF\Safari\Safari.exe -url "%1"
        >
        > Now I can go to Tools-Internet in Notetab and set either Main Browser or
        > Other Browser to "Safari" (w/o quotes) and clicking the appropriate tool
        > button opens the current file/buffer in Safari. (If set as "Main
        > Browser" this is also the one that will be used by [Open Link] command.

        Update on the using-Safari-to-preview-HTML-files thing:

        Apple FIXED the issue in the new Safari for Windows 3.0.4 (officially
        still a beta). Although the syntax buralex digged up (and I'm still
        thankful for) still works, Safari no longer needs the -url option to
        open local files. This means that you can use the built-in "Open With"
        feature in Windows Explorer to open a file in Safari (like you already
        could do with IE, Opera and Firefox), without needing to manually create
        a context menu entry for the file type.

        Marcelo

        -=-=-
        "Apple" (c) Copyright 1767, Sir Isaac Newton.
        * TagZilla 0.066 on Seamonkey 1.1.6