Re: Re[2]: [NH] css

  • Michael Gerholdt
    Message 1 of 30 , Aug 3, 2000
      avoid using numbers for classes in style sheets

      DIV.a {
      stuff
      }

      will work for browsers that reject

      DIV.1 {
      stuff
      }

      At least, I had success with the former using Netscape when the latter
      failed.

      Would be interested to know what Opera thinks of it.

      Mike
      Message 2 of 30 , Aug 4, 2000
        Hi Michael,

        > avoid using numbers for classes in style sheets

        <STYLE TYPE="text/css">
        DIV.a
        {
        text-align: center;
        font-size: 16pt;
        color: Blue
        }

        DIV.1
        {
        text-align: center;
        font-size: 20pt;
        color: Black
        }
        </STYLE>
        </HEAD>
        <DIV CLASS="a">
        You can now sign on/off the lists in style;}
        </DIV>
        <DIV CLASS="1">
        http://www.sureword.com/notetab/html/maillist.html
        </DIV>

        > At least, I had success with the former using Netscape when the
        > latter failed.
        >
        > Would be interested to know what Opera thinks of it.

        Opera likes it and so would the online css validator because it is
        not a number, but the number does not work.

        http://www.sureword.com/notetab

        The NoteTab and Html List...
        mailto:Ntb-html-Subscribe@...
      • Larry Hamilton
        Message 3 of 30 , Aug 4, 2000
          Hi Jody,

          On Fri, 04 Aug 2000 10:06:44 -0500, ntb-html@egroups.com wrote:
          > Centered.
          > For my own memory;) DIV.center { text-align: center; font-size:
          >18pt; font-style: normal; font-weight: bold; color: Blue }

          THANKS! I knew it had to be simple. I finally figured out how to get
          Netscape to display one paragraph class correctly too.

          Netscape does not like font size of smaller & larger, but wants a
          specific point size for the font. All the better, since it makes it
          look mostly the same in all the browsers.

          I thought I had checked it in the CSS validator, but it must be
          technically okay. I do have an older version of Netscape, so that
          could account for it. At least now I know how to get it to do what I
          want in this case, in the major browsers.

          Thanks again!

          -- Larry Hamilton, lm_hamilton@... on 08/04/2000
          Message 4 of 30 , Aug 4, 2000
            Hi Larry,

            > I thought I had checked it in the CSS validator, but it must be
            > technically okay. I do have an older version of Netscape, so
            > that could account for it. At least now I know how to get it to
            > do what I want in this case, in the major browsers.
            >
            > Thanks again!

            You're welcome!-)

            Using pt though according to this could cause conflict:

            font-size: 16pt
            Warning: Absolute length units should not generally be used on the
            Web, since the physical properties of the output medium are almost
            always unknown.

            http://www.sureword.com/notetab

            The NoteTab and Html List...
            mailto:Ntb-html-Subscribe@...
          • Piotr Bienkowski
            Message 5 of 30 , Aug 4, 2000
              The stylesheet below works well for MSIE 5.5 (beta), but not for NC
              4.72

              Star Office does not understand this style at all, though it uses
              styles in other ways.

              When is NC 6.0 due out?

              Message 6 of 30 , Aug 4, 2000
                Hi Piotr,

                >The stylesheet below works well for MSIE 5.5 (beta), but not for NC
                >4.72

                NS as in NetScape?

                >When is NC 6.0 due out?

                If you mean NetCaptor, it has been out for quite awhile. I'm in this now:

                Version 6.03 Beta 2 www.netcaptor.com

                http://www.sureword.com/notetab

                The NoteTab and Html List...
                mailto:Ntb-html-Subscribe@...
              • Neil Felton
                Message 7 of 30 , Oct 30, 2003
                  I had two html pages accessing the same css file successfully, made some alterations, now one of those pages is not displaying a background and the other is and I'm going round in circles trying to fathom the difference. The css line (class) concerned is -
                  .bg1 {background: #ffffff url(images/bkgrnd.jpg) background-repeat: repeat-y;}
                  All other code is being accepted by both pages. The two pages are in different directories, the one that doesn't have a problem is in the same directory as the css file. The one with the problem is one level up and has the path thus -
                  <link rel="stylesheet" href="pages/pages.css">
                  The other is simply <link rel="stylesheet" href="pages.css">
                  This has worked for both in the past, so don't think it is relevant. Stumped. Any suggestions?

                  Neil Felton

                • Don Passenger
                  Message 8 of 30 , Oct 30, 2003
                    yes, give us the url

                    --

                    Don Passenger
                    Message 9 of 30 , Oct 30, 2003
                      Neil Felton wrote:
                      >I had two html pages accessing the same css file successfully, made some alterations, now one of those pages is not displaying a background and the other is and I'm going round in circles trying to fathom the difference. The css line (class) concerned is -
                      >.bg1 {background: #ffffff url(images/bkgrnd.jpg) background-repeat: repeat-y;}
                      >All other code is being accepted by both pages. The two pages are in different directories, the one that doesn't have a problem is in the same directory as the css file. The one with the problem is one level up and has the path thus -
                      ><link rel="stylesheet" href="pages/pages.css">
                      >The other is simply <link rel="stylesheet" href="pages.css">

                      In the page where the background shows up, does it also repeat only along the y-axis? I'm wondering because the declaration isn't correct (you use a full declaration for background-repeat instead of only the value) so the repeat-y should be ignored. If you see it correctly it could maybe be because of some caching oddity if this rule is among your recent changes. Some browser or other might 'mend' the declaration of course but IE5 doesn't and I doubt they get more helpful than that one!

                      If that's the case maybe the background really is missing from both pages... I know! It's a long shot but you need to fix that rule anyway so... ;-)

                      Lotta
                    • Neil Felton
                      Message 10 of 30 , Oct 30, 2003
                        > >I had two html pages accessing the same css file successfully, made some
                        alterations, now one of those pages is not displaying a background and the
                        other is and I'm going round in circles trying to fathom the difference. The
                        css line (class) concerned is -
                        > >.bg1 {background: #ffffff url(images/bkgrnd.jpg) background-repeat:
                        repeat-y;}
                        > >All other code is being accepted by both pages. The two pages are in
                        different directories, the one that doesn't have a problem is in the same
                        directory as the css file. The one with the problem is one level up and has
                        the path thus -
                        > ><link rel="stylesheet" href="pages/pages.css">
                        > >The other is simply <link rel="stylesheet" href="pages.css">
                        >

                        > In the page where the background shows up, does it also repeat only along
                        the y-axis? I'm wondering because the declaration isn't correct (you use a
                        full declaration for background-repeat instead of only the value) so the
                        repeat-y should be ignored. If you see it correctly it could maybe be
                        because of some caching oddity if this rule is among your recent changes.
                        Some browser or other might 'mend' the declaration of course but IE5 doesn't
                        and I doubt they get more helpful than that one!

                        > If that's the case maybe the background really is missing from both
                        pages... I know! It's a long shot but you need to fix that rule anyway so...
                        ;-)

                        > Lotta

                        ......Neil......Thanks Loro and Don, I have found the anomaly! I was using
                        an html verifier and found it would'nt read the page because of the doc
                        type, <!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01 Transitional//EN">

                        I added the following source link and it accepted the page
                        "http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/loose.dtd">

                        ...but I had to remove the source link for the particular background code
                        with the repeat-y to work. Does this make sense?
                        Don, the URL is www.artis.co.nz/pages.htm As I said though, it is now
                        working through my browser at least. I'd appreciate it if you would let me
                        know if the shaded green background does work as it appears to for me,
                        repeating only on the y axis (vertically). Loro could you explain how my
                        rendering of that code is wrong?
                        Thanks
                        Neil

                        Message 11 of 30 , Oct 30, 2003
                          Neil Felton wrote:
                          >......Neil......Thanks Loro and Don, I have found the anomaly! I was using
                          >an html verifier and found it would'nt read the page because of the doc
                          >type, <!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01 Transitional//EN">
                          >
                          >I added the following source link and it accepted the page
                          > "http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/loose.dtd">
                          >
                          >...but I had to remove the source link for the particular background code
                          >with the repeat-y to work. Does this make sense?

                          Don't know. I'm afraid you lost me there.

                          Nope. It repeats in both directions if your resolution is high enough. I don't see it @ 1024*768 because the image itself is wide enough to not tile but @ higher res than that it shows.

                          > Loro could you explain how my
                          >rendering of that code is wrong?

                          I'll try. You have this:

                          .bg1 {background: #ffffff url(images/bkgrnd.jpg) background-repeat: repeat-y;}

                          'background' is shorthand for all background properties. Meaning you can shove all their _values_ together in one declaration. You don't have to (aren't allowed to) use their individual property names. You have actually put one declaration (background-repeat:...) inside another (background:...)

                          You can write it so:
                          .bg1 { background: #ffffff url(images/bkgrnd.jpg) repeat-y }
                          /* shorthand */

                          Or so:
                          bg1 { background-color: #ffffff;
                          background-image: url(images/bkgrnd.jpg);
                          background-repeat: repeat-y }
                          /* Individual declarations */

                          Or even so:
                          .bg1 { background: #ffffff url(images/bkgrnd.jpg);
                          background-repeat: repeat-y }
                          /* shorthand where 1 property is overridden by a later declaration.
                          Don't change the order of this or it will get another meaning. */

                          You could even split the last one up in two rules.
                          .bg1 { background: #ffffff url(images/bkgrnd.jpg) }
                          .bg1 { background-repeat: repeat-y }
                          /* Same as above - order matters. */

                          And then some.

                          <http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-CSS2/colors.html#propdef-background>
                          Note that the properties that aren't explicitly used in the shorthand are automatically set to their *initial values*. That's why you must have the last two examples in that order. If the background shorthand comes after the declaration for background-repeat it will reset background repeat to its initial value, i.e. repeat.

                          Hope I didn't make it muddier instead of clearer! I kinda fear I did.

                          Lotta
                        • Neil Felton
                          Message 12 of 30 , Oct 31, 2003

                            Loro wrote:

                            > Don't know. I'm afraid you lost me there.

                            ................Loro, when I had the source link, as I called it, the
                            background didn't display at all.

                            > Nope. It repeats in both directions if your resolution is high enough. I
                            don't see it @ 1024*768 because the image itself is wide enough to not tile
                            but @ higher res than that it shows.

                            ...............thanks, and your explanation of how it should be coded makes
                            sense to me. I'll try doing it propa.
                            Thanks again
                            Neil

                          • Edward
                            Message 13 of 30 , Jun 29 2:14 PM
                              Hi Everyone,
                              I have a new css page up that goes with the index.html in the test-pages. Don, you and I know that only IE can read the top part of the css. So I would like to have two css pages. One for IE which will not ever pass W3C CSS Validator and the other for all other browsers which sooner or later it will pass. I read some of your messages concerning using more than one css but it did not all sink in, the sink is stopped up. :-)) This is what the IE only looks like:

                              body {
                              font-weight: bold;
                              font-size: 12pt;
                              font-family: arial, helvetica;
                              font-weight: bold; background: ccffff;
                              scrollbar-color: #FFFFF0;
                              scrollbar-highlight-color: #FFFFF0;
                              scrollbar-shadow-color: #663300;
                              scrollbar-3dlight-color: #FFFFFF0;
                              scrollbar-arrow-color: #FF0000;
                              scrollbar-track-color: #663300;
                              scrollbar-darkshadow-color: #000080;
                              scrollbar-face-color: #FCFBDC;
                              bgcolor: #FCFBDC;
                              background: #FCFBDC;
                              }
                              ------------------------------------------tear from mycss.css.-------------------------------------

                              Now I want to use this for all the other browsers:
                              body {
                              font-weight: bold;
                              font-size: 12pt;
                              font-family: arial, helvetica;
                              font-weight: bold; background: ccffff;

                              }

                              h1
                              {text-align: center;
                              color: #663300;
                              }
                              h2
                              {text-align: center;
                              color: #663300;
                              }

                              Thanks
                              Ed

                              Message 14 of 30 , Jun 29 2:54 PM
                                Edward wrote:
                                > body { font-size: 12pt;

                                One thing:
                                Never ever use font size except for small parts of your pages and then
                                only relative sizes. I know what my eyes and my screen are like and I
                                have chosen the font size I find most pleasant and easy to read. If you
                                want me to read your stuff, you had better accept that.
                                And anyway, in all those of my browsers that allow it, the minimum font
                                size allowed is set to 14 pt. If you haven't made other sizes on your
                                page relative to the font size this will mess up a lot more and also
                                lose suble font size differences that might actually make sense.

                                In HTML the reader is the arbiter over how stuff looks - it has been
                                designed that way from the start. And if you don't accept that and want
                                to force your readers to endure things the way you think fit you'll have
                                to pay them decent wages. It's not that there weren't other sites out
                                there to go to.
                              • Ed Brown
                                Message 15 of 30 , Jun 29 7:05 PM
                                  Thanks very much for your input and I will try to make the changes you
                                  suggested.
                                  Again thanks
                                  Ed