Re: [NH] NoteTab and Safari

  • buralex@gmail.com
    Message 1 of 15 , Oct 26, 2007
      Marcelo de Castro Bastos <mcblista@...> said on Oct 26, 2007
      10:29 -0400 (in part):
      > Having that in mind, the idea is to take the same file and open it
      > sequentially, in IE, Firefox, Opera and Safari to look for rendering
      > problems. I can do it easily enough for the first three -- either from
      > inside Notetab (although additional "alternate browser" buttons would be
      > a good feature) or from Windows Explorer, by right-clicking and
      > selecting "Open With." Opera is the only one that needs "special
      > treatment." I mean, I'm *looking* at the damn file (either inside
      > NoteTab or in a folder), I shouldn't have to "browse to it" AGAIN. It
      > takes half a second to open a file in IE, Firefox or Opera; it takes
      > anywhere up to thirty seconds to do the same in Safari. THAT's the issue.
      Marcelo: did you try my suggestions in:

      The key point was that Safari appears to need "-url" in its command
      line. If this is done Safari can be set up as either primary or
      secondary browser in Notetab toolbar.

      I used to have a clip (lost when I migrated computers last year) that
      would allow user to choose from amongst any number of browsers to open
      in the selected browser either the current page or a selected link. It
      sounds like that is what you are after? It could be written to select
      more than one browser simultaneously and open in all four with one click
      if that's what you are after and if your system has the horsepower.

      Regards ... Alec -- buralex-gmail

      Message 2 of 15 , Oct 26, 2007
        buralex@... said on Oct 26, 2007 18:28 -0400 (in part):
        > open
        > in the selected browser either the current page or a selected link.
        typo: "current page" s/b "current file"

        Regards ... Alec -- buralex-gmail

      • Marcelo de Castro Bastos
        Message 3 of 15 , Oct 27, 2007
          Interviewed by CNN on 26/10/2007 20:28, buralex@... told the world:

          > Marcelo: did you try my suggestions in:
          >
          > The key point was that Safari appears to need "-url" in its command
          > line. If this is done Safari can be set up as either primary or
          > secondary browser in Notetab toolbar.

          Yeah, I tried it now and surprise... it WORKED.

          I had kinda dismissed it at first, because I had previously found the
          -url info and it hadn't worked in my original test with local files.
          Turns out that apparently it only works with full URLs OR full
          pathnames, so my original command-line tests failed (because I just
          copied a HTML file to the current folder and tried to open it directly).

          Thanks for making me have another look at it. I still think it's stupid
          that Apple (you know, that company that claims their products "just
          work") makes the users jump through all these hoops. But now at least
          there's an easy way to do the HTML testing.

          Marcelo

          -=-=-
          Unable to locate Coffee -- Operator Halted!
          * TagZilla 0.066 on Seamonkey 1.1.5
        • Marcelo de Castro Bastos
          Message 4 of 15 , Nov 15, 2007
            Interviewed by CNN on 21/10/2007 03:06, buralex@... told the world:
            > OK ... not yet tested but this appears to be the format of the command
            > line used by Windows when it invokes Safari as the default browser:
            >
            > * "C:\Program Files\AmbPF\Safari\Safari.exe" -url
            > "http://www.jamendo.com/en/?p=music"
            > o pasting the above in Start-Run box successfully invokes
            > Safari. YIPPEE!!
            >
            > So ... I put this entry in "browsers.dat":
            >
            > [Safari]
            > Application=Safari
            > Command=C:\Program Files\AmbPF\Safari\Safari.exe -url "%1"
            >
            > Now I can go to Tools-Internet in Notetab and set either Main Browser or
            > Other Browser to "Safari" (w/o quotes) and clicking the appropriate tool
            > button opens the current file/buffer in Safari. (If set as "Main
            > Browser" this is also the one that will be used by [Open Link] command.

            Update on the using-Safari-to-preview-HTML-files thing:

            Apple FIXED the issue in the new Safari for Windows 3.0.4 (officially
            still a beta). Although the syntax buralex digged up (and I'm still
            thankful for) still works, Safari no longer needs the -url option to
            open local files. This means that you can use the built-in "Open With"
            feature in Windows Explorer to open a file in Safari (like you already
            could do with IE, Opera and Firefox), without needing to manually create
            a context menu entry for the file type.

            Marcelo

            -=-=-
            "Apple" (c) Copyright 1767, Sir Isaac Newton.
            * TagZilla 0.066 on Seamonkey 1.1.6