Re: [NH] NoteTab and Safari

  • Bruce Meyers
    Message 1 of 15 , Oct 26, 2007
      Marcelo,
      I am not sure exactly what you mean. I can open Safari, click on OpenFile and browse to any html file and open it. If you are talking about opening it through NoteTab, I do not know what to do, but just opening Safari (in XPHome) and then opening an html file is very simple for me. I do not have to make Safari the default browser.
      I do not find it difficult to open a browser directly rather than using "View In Browser" in NoteTab. I did nothing special to make this work after I downloaded Safari for Windows.
      Bruce Meyers

      Marcelo de Castro Bastos <mcblista@...> wrote:
      Did anybody figure out how to (easily) open a HTML file in Safari for
      Windows, WITHOUT resorting to making it the system's default browser? It
      would be very useful for testing code in KHTML... however, so far I
      have been unable to make Safari load a file from the command-line. I
      have been doing that with Opera, Mozilla and IE for years with no
      problems... it would be nice adding a fourth browser engine.

      Marcelo

      -=-=-
      Winter is nature's way of saying "up yours".
      * TagZilla 0.066 on Seamonkey 1.1.4

    • Marcelo de Castro Bastos
      Message 2 of 15 , Oct 26, 2007
        Interviewed by CNN on 26/10/2007 12:10, Bruce Meyers told the world:
        > I am not sure exactly what you mean. I can open Safari, click on OpenFile and browse to any html file and open it. If you are talking about opening it through NoteTab, I do not know what to do, but just opening Safari (in XPHome) and then opening an html file is very simple for me. I do not have to make Safari the default browser.
        > I do not find it difficult to open a browser directly rather than using "View In Browser" in NoteTab. I did nothing special to make this work after I downloaded Safari for Windows.

        As I see it, the main point of having Safari in Windows, frankly, is to
        test HTML code in one more engine. Despite whatever the Apple PR machine
        might claim, Safari for Windows is still rough around the edges and does
        not have much to offer when compared to Firefox or Opera for day-to-day
        browsing.

        Having that in mind, the idea is to take the same file and open it
        sequentially, in IE, Firefox, Opera and Safari to look for rendering
        problems. I can do it easily enough for the first three -- either from
        inside Notetab (although additional "alternate browser" buttons would be
        a good feature) or from Windows Explorer, by right-clicking and
        selecting "Open With." Opera is the only one that needs "special
        treatment." I mean, I'm *looking* at the damn file (either inside
        NoteTab or in a folder), I shouldn't have to "browse to it" AGAIN. It
        takes half a second to open a file in IE, Firefox or Opera; it takes
        anywhere up to thirty seconds to do the same in Safari. THAT's the issue.

        Because of those limitations, testing code in Safari currently is just
        an afterthought -- it's not practical to do it routinely. I would like
        to do it better, both because of the Mac public and because of Linux/KDE
        users (Konqueror and Safari are based on similar technology).

        Marcelo
        -=-=-
        Just my opinion! (But I'm right!!!)
        * TagZilla 0.066 on Seamonkey 1.1.4
      • buralex@gmail.com
        Message 3 of 15 , Oct 26, 2007
          Marcelo de Castro Bastos <mcblista@...> said on Oct 26, 2007
          10:29 -0400 (in part):
          > Having that in mind, the idea is to take the same file and open it
          > sequentially, in IE, Firefox, Opera and Safari to look for rendering
          > problems. I can do it easily enough for the first three -- either from
          > inside Notetab (although additional "alternate browser" buttons would be
          > a good feature) or from Windows Explorer, by right-clicking and
          > selecting "Open With." Opera is the only one that needs "special
          > treatment." I mean, I'm *looking* at the damn file (either inside
          > NoteTab or in a folder), I shouldn't have to "browse to it" AGAIN. It
          > takes half a second to open a file in IE, Firefox or Opera; it takes
          > anywhere up to thirty seconds to do the same in Safari. THAT's the issue.
          Marcelo: did you try my suggestions in:

          The key point was that Safari appears to need "-url" in its command
          line. If this is done Safari can be set up as either primary or
          secondary browser in Notetab toolbar.

          I used to have a clip (lost when I migrated computers last year) that
          would allow user to choose from amongst any number of browsers to open
          in the selected browser either the current page or a selected link. It
          sounds like that is what you are after? It could be written to select
          more than one browser simultaneously and open in all four with one click
          if that's what you are after and if your system has the horsepower.

          Regards ... Alec -- buralex-gmail

          Message 4 of 15 , Oct 26, 2007
            buralex@... said on Oct 26, 2007 18:28 -0400 (in part):
            > open
            > in the selected browser either the current page or a selected link.
            typo: "current page" s/b "current file"

            Regards ... Alec -- buralex-gmail

          • Marcelo de Castro Bastos
            Message 5 of 15 , Oct 27, 2007
              Interviewed by CNN on 26/10/2007 20:28, buralex@... told the world:

              > Marcelo: did you try my suggestions in:
              >
              > The key point was that Safari appears to need "-url" in its command
              > line. If this is done Safari can be set up as either primary or
              > secondary browser in Notetab toolbar.

              Yeah, I tried it now and surprise... it WORKED.

              I had kinda dismissed it at first, because I had previously found the
              -url info and it hadn't worked in my original test with local files.
              Turns out that apparently it only works with full URLs OR full
              pathnames, so my original command-line tests failed (because I just
              copied a HTML file to the current folder and tried to open it directly).

              Thanks for making me have another look at it. I still think it's stupid
              that Apple (you know, that company that claims their products "just
              work") makes the users jump through all these hoops. But now at least
              there's an easy way to do the HTML testing.

              Marcelo

              -=-=-
              Unable to locate Coffee -- Operator Halted!
              * TagZilla 0.066 on Seamonkey 1.1.5
            • Marcelo de Castro Bastos
              Message 6 of 15 , Nov 15, 2007
                Interviewed by CNN on 21/10/2007 03:06, buralex@... told the world:
                > OK ... not yet tested but this appears to be the format of the command
                > line used by Windows when it invokes Safari as the default browser:
                >
                > * "C:\Program Files\AmbPF\Safari\Safari.exe" -url
                > "http://www.jamendo.com/en/?p=music"
                > o pasting the above in Start-Run box successfully invokes
                > Safari. YIPPEE!!
                >
                > So ... I put this entry in "browsers.dat":
                >
                > [Safari]
                > Application=Safari
                > Command=C:\Program Files\AmbPF\Safari\Safari.exe -url "%1"
                >
                > Now I can go to Tools-Internet in Notetab and set either Main Browser or
                > Other Browser to "Safari" (w/o quotes) and clicking the appropriate tool
                > button opens the current file/buffer in Safari. (If set as "Main
                > Browser" this is also the one that will be used by [Open Link] command.

                Update on the using-Safari-to-preview-HTML-files thing:

                Apple FIXED the issue in the new Safari for Windows 3.0.4 (officially
                still a beta). Although the syntax buralex digged up (and I'm still
                thankful for) still works, Safari no longer needs the -url option to
                open local files. This means that you can use the built-in "Open With"
                feature in Windows Explorer to open a file in Safari (like you already
                could do with IE, Opera and Firefox), without needing to manually create
                a context menu entry for the file type.

                Marcelo

                -=-=-
                "Apple" (c) Copyright 1767, Sir Isaac Newton.
                * TagZilla 0.066 on Seamonkey 1.1.6