Re: [NH] NoteTab and Safari

  • fw7oaks
    Message 1 of 15 , Oct 20, 2007
      Reading the Apple support forum it looks as if it is a known problem.

      I can't even get it to work using a file as a default page.

      fw

    • buralex@gmail.com
      Message 2 of 15 , Oct 20, 2007
        Larry Hamilton <lmh@...> said on Oct 20, 2007 15:09
        -0400 (in part):
        > Marcelo de Castro Bastos wrote:
        >
        >> > Did anybody figure out how to (easily) open a HTML file in Safari for
        >> > Windows, WITHOUT resorting to making it the system's default browser? It
        >> > would be very useful for testing code in KHTML... however, so far I
        >> > have been unable to make Safari load a file from the command-line. I
        >> > have been doing that with Opera, Mozilla and IE for years with no
        >> > problems... it would be nice adding a fourth browser engine.
        >> >

        > Marcelo,
        >
        > Have you tried using the Browsers.dat file?
        That's really weird - Marcelo seems to indicate that if you make Safari
        the default browser then it WILL open the correct page when asked (by
        Notetab - and presumably your email client and/or a URL shortcut etc.)

        Marcelo - do you have Process Explorer (just Google - formerly from
        Sysinternals - now Microsoft) on your system?
        With it, double clicking on a running task opens a properties window -
        on its image tab you can grab and copy the command-line that has been
        used to initiate the browser.

        I have a small program called URLrun.exe
        (http://www.sellsbrothers.com/tools/) which when invoked will open any
        URL-like string it finds in the clipboard. - Its also handy for fixing
        URLs "broken" in emails - it removes CR's etc. to come up with the
        correct URL. Works great if placed in Quick Launch toolbar.

        I copied the address of Safari-downloads to clipboard, initiated
        URLrun.exe and found this command-line (my default browser is currently
        Firefox)

        * "C:\Program Files\AmbPF_notins\UrlRun\UrlRun.exe" - it opened
        Firefox with this command-line:
        o "C:\PROGRA~1\AMBPF\MOZILL~1\FIREFO~1\FIREFOX.EXE"
        -requestPending -osint -url
        "http://www.apple.com/safari/download/" - this opened the
        "choose profile" dialog then terminated
        + after opening a *NEW* instance of Firefox with the
        same command line.

        So as an "experiment" lets try downloading Safari, making it temporarily
        the "default browser" and see what we see ...
        OK ... not yet tested but this appears to be the format of the command
        line used by Windows when it invokes Safari as the default browser:

        * "C:\Program Files\AmbPF\Safari\Safari.exe" -url
        "http://www.jamendo.com/en/?p=music"
        o pasting the above in Start-Run box successfully invokes
        Safari. YIPPEE!!

        So ... I put this entry in "browsers.dat":

        [Safari]
        Application=Safari
        Command=C:\Program Files\AmbPF\Safari\Safari.exe -url "%1"

        Now I can go to Tools-Internet in Notetab and set either Main Browser or
        Other Browser to "Safari" (w/o quotes) and clicking the appropriate tool
        button opens the current file/buffer in Safari. (If set as "Main
        Browser" this is also the one that will be used by [Open Link] command.

        Regards ... Alec -- buralex-gmail

      • Bruce Meyers
        Message 3 of 15 , Oct 26, 2007
          Marcelo,
          I am not sure exactly what you mean. I can open Safari, click on OpenFile and browse to any html file and open it. If you are talking about opening it through NoteTab, I do not know what to do, but just opening Safari (in XPHome) and then opening an html file is very simple for me. I do not have to make Safari the default browser.
          I do not find it difficult to open a browser directly rather than using "View In Browser" in NoteTab. I did nothing special to make this work after I downloaded Safari for Windows.
          Bruce Meyers

          Marcelo de Castro Bastos <mcblista@...> wrote:
          Did anybody figure out how to (easily) open a HTML file in Safari for
          Windows, WITHOUT resorting to making it the system's default browser? It
          would be very useful for testing code in KHTML... however, so far I
          have been unable to make Safari load a file from the command-line. I
          have been doing that with Opera, Mozilla and IE for years with no
          problems... it would be nice adding a fourth browser engine.

          Marcelo

          -=-=-
          Winter is nature's way of saying "up yours".
          * TagZilla 0.066 on Seamonkey 1.1.4

        • Marcelo de Castro Bastos
          Message 4 of 15 , Oct 26, 2007
            Interviewed by CNN on 26/10/2007 12:10, Bruce Meyers told the world:
            > I am not sure exactly what you mean. I can open Safari, click on OpenFile and browse to any html file and open it. If you are talking about opening it through NoteTab, I do not know what to do, but just opening Safari (in XPHome) and then opening an html file is very simple for me. I do not have to make Safari the default browser.
            > I do not find it difficult to open a browser directly rather than using "View In Browser" in NoteTab. I did nothing special to make this work after I downloaded Safari for Windows.

            As I see it, the main point of having Safari in Windows, frankly, is to
            test HTML code in one more engine. Despite whatever the Apple PR machine
            might claim, Safari for Windows is still rough around the edges and does
            not have much to offer when compared to Firefox or Opera for day-to-day
            browsing.

            Having that in mind, the idea is to take the same file and open it
            sequentially, in IE, Firefox, Opera and Safari to look for rendering
            problems. I can do it easily enough for the first three -- either from
            inside Notetab (although additional "alternate browser" buttons would be
            a good feature) or from Windows Explorer, by right-clicking and
            selecting "Open With." Opera is the only one that needs "special
            treatment." I mean, I'm *looking* at the damn file (either inside
            NoteTab or in a folder), I shouldn't have to "browse to it" AGAIN. It
            takes half a second to open a file in IE, Firefox or Opera; it takes
            anywhere up to thirty seconds to do the same in Safari. THAT's the issue.

            Because of those limitations, testing code in Safari currently is just
            an afterthought -- it's not practical to do it routinely. I would like
            to do it better, both because of the Mac public and because of Linux/KDE
            users (Konqueror and Safari are based on similar technology).

            Marcelo
            -=-=-
            Just my opinion! (But I'm right!!!)
            Message 5 of 15 , Oct 26, 2007
              Marcelo de Castro Bastos <mcblista@...> said on Oct 26, 2007
              10:29 -0400 (in part):
              > Having that in mind, the idea is to take the same file and open it
              > sequentially, in IE, Firefox, Opera and Safari to look for rendering
              > problems. I can do it easily enough for the first three -- either from
              > inside Notetab (although additional "alternate browser" buttons would be
              > a good feature) or from Windows Explorer, by right-clicking and
              > selecting "Open With." Opera is the only one that needs "special
              > treatment." I mean, I'm *looking* at the damn file (either inside
              > NoteTab or in a folder), I shouldn't have to "browse to it" AGAIN. It
              > takes half a second to open a file in IE, Firefox or Opera; it takes
              > anywhere up to thirty seconds to do the same in Safari. THAT's the issue.
              Marcelo: did you try my suggestions in:

              The key point was that Safari appears to need "-url" in its command
              line. If this is done Safari can be set up as either primary or
              secondary browser in Notetab toolbar.

              I used to have a clip (lost when I migrated computers last year) that
              would allow user to choose from amongst any number of browsers to open
              in the selected browser either the current page or a selected link. It
              sounds like that is what you are after? It could be written to select
              more than one browser simultaneously and open in all four with one click
              if that's what you are after and if your system has the horsepower.

              Regards ... Alec -- buralex-gmail

              Message 6 of 15 , Oct 26, 2007
                buralex@... said on Oct 26, 2007 18:28 -0400 (in part):
                > open
                > in the selected browser either the current page or a selected link.
                typo: "current page" s/b "current file"

                Regards ... Alec -- buralex-gmail

              • Marcelo de Castro Bastos
                Message 7 of 15 , Oct 27, 2007
                  Interviewed by CNN on 26/10/2007 20:28, buralex@... told the world:

                  > Marcelo: did you try my suggestions in:
                  >
                  > The key point was that Safari appears to need "-url" in its command
                  > line. If this is done Safari can be set up as either primary or
                  > secondary browser in Notetab toolbar.

                  Yeah, I tried it now and surprise... it WORKED.

                  I had kinda dismissed it at first, because I had previously found the
                  -url info and it hadn't worked in my original test with local files.
                  Turns out that apparently it only works with full URLs OR full
                  pathnames, so my original command-line tests failed (because I just
                  copied a HTML file to the current folder and tried to open it directly).

                  Thanks for making me have another look at it. I still think it's stupid
                  that Apple (you know, that company that claims their products "just
                  work") makes the users jump through all these hoops. But now at least
                  there's an easy way to do the HTML testing.

                  Marcelo

                  -=-=-
                  Unable to locate Coffee -- Operator Halted!
                  * TagZilla 0.066 on Seamonkey 1.1.5
                • Marcelo de Castro Bastos
                  Message 8 of 15 , Nov 15, 2007
                    Interviewed by CNN on 21/10/2007 03:06, buralex@... told the world:
                    > OK ... not yet tested but this appears to be the format of the command
                    > line used by Windows when it invokes Safari as the default browser:
                    >
                    > * "C:\Program Files\AmbPF\Safari\Safari.exe" -url
                    > "http://www.jamendo.com/en/?p=music"
                    > o pasting the above in Start-Run box successfully invokes
                    > Safari. YIPPEE!!
                    >
                    > So ... I put this entry in "browsers.dat":
                    >
                    > [Safari]
                    > Application=Safari
                    > Command=C:\Program Files\AmbPF\Safari\Safari.exe -url "%1"
                    >
                    > Now I can go to Tools-Internet in Notetab and set either Main Browser or
                    > Other Browser to "Safari" (w/o quotes) and clicking the appropriate tool
                    > button opens the current file/buffer in Safari. (If set as "Main
                    > Browser" this is also the one that will be used by [Open Link] command.

                    Update on the using-Safari-to-preview-HTML-files thing:

                    Apple FIXED the issue in the new Safari for Windows 3.0.4 (officially
                    still a beta). Although the syntax buralex digged up (and I'm still
                    thankful for) still works, Safari no longer needs the -url option to
                    open local files. This means that you can use the built-in "Open With"
                    feature in Windows Explorer to open a file in Safari (like you already
                    could do with IE, Opera and Firefox), without needing to manually create
                    a context menu entry for the file type.

                    Marcelo

                    -=-=-
                    "Apple" (c) Copyright 1767, Sir Isaac Newton.
                    * TagZilla 0.066 on Seamonkey 1.1.6