RE: [NH] Loading a specific image first

    Message 1 of 15 , Oct 17, 2007
      Corl DeLuna wrote:
      >Mike wrote:
      >>On this page: http://www.EpicRoadTrips.us/, I would like the header image,
      >>which is also a background image, to load first.

      >Check this out "preload images with CSS only"
      >http://tutorials.alsacreations.com/preload/

      I don't think the order in which the browser loads different components can
      be affected. Preloading only works for images that will be used later, in
      rollovers or whatever. It makes the browser cache them so they'll load
      quickly later. It doesn't do anything for the initial loading of the page.

      Message 2 of 15 , Oct 17, 2007
        WV-Mike wrote:
        > I would like the header image,
        > which is also a background image, to load first.

        There is no header image - as you say yourself there is only a
        background. An image is content, a background decoration. The first
        thing every single browser offered when colours etc. were first
        introduced into HTML was the ability to switch them off and for very
        many users, me included, that's how their browsers are set up. So you
        must expect your readers to never see your background. I have to admit
        though, that in your case it really is only decorative, but too many
        others are unaware of the distinction and place content where many users
        will never find it and never even get a hint it's there.

        I think it is a good thing when browsers load content first and quickly
        and decoration after and I have no idea how to alter that. If your image
        is important to you, make it content.

        Axel
      • WV-Mike
        Message 3 of 15 , Oct 17, 2007
          At 12:37 PM 10/17/2007 , Axel Berger wrote:
          >I have to admit
          >though, that in your case it really is only decorative, but too many
          >others are unaware of the distinction and place content where many users
          >will never find it and never even get a hint it's there.
          >
          >I think it is a good thing when browsers load content first and quickly
          >and decoration after and I have no idea how to alter that. If your image
          >is important to you, make it content.

          Point taken.
          I will see if this particular WordPress template can be modified to allow
          the needed change.

          Thanks,
          -Mike
        • Marcelo de Castro Bastos
          Message 4 of 15 , Oct 20, 2007
            Did anybody figure out how to (easily) open a HTML file in Safari for
            Windows, WITHOUT resorting to making it the system's default browser? It
            would be very useful for testing code in KHTML... however, so far I
            have been unable to make Safari load a file from the command-line. I
            have been doing that with Opera, Mozilla and IE for years with no
            problems... it would be nice adding a fourth browser engine.

            Marcelo

            -=-=-
            Winter is nature's way of saying "up yours".
            * TagZilla 0.066 on Seamonkey 1.1.4
          • Larry Hamilton
            Message 5 of 15 , Oct 20, 2007
              Marcelo de Castro Bastos wrote:
              > Did anybody figure out how to (easily) open a HTML file in Safari for
              > Windows, WITHOUT resorting to making it the system's default browser? It
              > would be very useful for testing code in KHTML... however, so far I
              > have been unable to make Safari load a file from the command-line. I
              > have been doing that with Opera, Mozilla and IE for years with no
              > problems... it would be nice adding a fourth browser engine.

              Marcelo,

              Have you tried using the Browsers.dat file?

              I do not have Safari, so I cannot test.

              The Browsers.dat file allows you to define multiple browsers that can be
              easily referenced with the ^!URL command.

              For example, I have this in one of my NoteTab installation's browser.dat
              for Opera, I believe it is the default browsers.dat from installation.

              [Opera6]
              ;Add full path to Opera.exe file name below if you have several versions
              of the browser
              Command=Opera.exe
              UseDDE=1
              Application=Opera
              DdeCommand=Opera.exe /nowin /e

              I am not sure what the settings might be for Safari.

              I tried Googling for Safari command line options, but did not find much.

              I found the Safari download page, http://www.apple.com/safari/download/,
              and tried searching there, but no matches. If it is on Apple's site, you
              need to know what they call it.

              I'm running on my Linux partition right now. Out of curiosity, I
              downloaded Safari for Windows. It will install under Wine, but will not
              run. There is a help file buried a few levels down under the
              "Safari.resources" directory, in the Help directory under en.lproj.

              My curiosity was peaked, so I booted up another PC with Windows and
              installed Safari.

              I searched the help and nothing about command lines. I tried using
              various options:

              safari.exe webpage
              safari.exe /?
              safari.exe --help

              No joy. Evidently there are no command line options for Windows safari,
              or they are not documented.

              I tried using the browsers.dat anyway, and all it does is launch a new
              instance of Safari at the safari homepage.

              The only other way to open a page from NoteTab in Safari would be to
              write a clip to paste in the path of the file in the address bar. Not
              elegant, but it would work.

              Safari cannot open a directory listing, like other browsers can. I was
              going to suggest you make a shortcut to the directory with the files you
              would be testing, so Safari would display the filenames that you could
              then click on.

              Another option would be to build an HTML page that uses javascript or
              another scripting language to give a list of the files in a directory
              that would update when they change.

              You can also drag & drop files onto Safari to be opened.

              Until Apple gives more polish to Safari, it looks like you'll have to
              get creative to automate opening a page from NoteTab.

              If you or anyone else happens to figure it out, let us know.

              Larry Hamilton
            • fw7oaks
              Message 6 of 15 , Oct 20, 2007
                Reading the Apple support forum it looks as if it is a known problem.

                I can't even get it to work using a file as a default page.

                fw

              • buralex@gmail.com
                Message 7 of 15 , Oct 20, 2007
                  Larry Hamilton <lmh@...> said on Oct 20, 2007 15:09
                  -0400 (in part):
                  > Marcelo de Castro Bastos wrote:
                  >
                  >> > Did anybody figure out how to (easily) open a HTML file in Safari for
                  >> > Windows, WITHOUT resorting to making it the system's default browser? It
                  >> > would be very useful for testing code in KHTML... however, so far I
                  >> > have been unable to make Safari load a file from the command-line. I
                  >> > have been doing that with Opera, Mozilla and IE for years with no
                  >> > problems... it would be nice adding a fourth browser engine.
                  >> >

                  > Marcelo,
                  >
                  > Have you tried using the Browsers.dat file?
                  That's really weird - Marcelo seems to indicate that if you make Safari
                  the default browser then it WILL open the correct page when asked (by
                  Notetab - and presumably your email client and/or a URL shortcut etc.)

                  Marcelo - do you have Process Explorer (just Google - formerly from
                  Sysinternals - now Microsoft) on your system?
                  With it, double clicking on a running task opens a properties window -
                  on its image tab you can grab and copy the command-line that has been
                  used to initiate the browser.

                  I have a small program called URLrun.exe
                  (http://www.sellsbrothers.com/tools/) which when invoked will open any
                  URL-like string it finds in the clipboard. - Its also handy for fixing
                  URLs "broken" in emails - it removes CR's etc. to come up with the
                  correct URL. Works great if placed in Quick Launch toolbar.

                  I copied the address of Safari-downloads to clipboard, initiated
                  URLrun.exe and found this command-line (my default browser is currently
                  Firefox)

                  * "C:\Program Files\AmbPF_notins\UrlRun\UrlRun.exe" - it opened
                  Firefox with this command-line:
                  o "C:\PROGRA~1\AMBPF\MOZILL~1\FIREFO~1\FIREFOX.EXE"
                  -requestPending -osint -url
                  "http://www.apple.com/safari/download/" - this opened the
                  "choose profile" dialog then terminated
                  + after opening a *NEW* instance of Firefox with the
                  same command line.

                  So as an "experiment" lets try downloading Safari, making it temporarily
                  the "default browser" and see what we see ...
                  OK ... not yet tested but this appears to be the format of the command
                  line used by Windows when it invokes Safari as the default browser:

                  * "C:\Program Files\AmbPF\Safari\Safari.exe" -url
                  "http://www.jamendo.com/en/?p=music"
                  o pasting the above in Start-Run box successfully invokes
                  Safari. YIPPEE!!

                  So ... I put this entry in "browsers.dat":

                  [Safari]
                  Application=Safari
                  Command=C:\Program Files\AmbPF\Safari\Safari.exe -url "%1"

                  Now I can go to Tools-Internet in Notetab and set either Main Browser or
                  Other Browser to "Safari" (w/o quotes) and clicking the appropriate tool
                  button opens the current file/buffer in Safari. (If set as "Main
                  Browser" this is also the one that will be used by [Open Link] command.

                  Regards ... Alec -- buralex-gmail

                • Bruce Meyers
                  Message 8 of 15 , Oct 26, 2007
                    Marcelo,
                    I am not sure exactly what you mean. I can open Safari, click on OpenFile and browse to any html file and open it. If you are talking about opening it through NoteTab, I do not know what to do, but just opening Safari (in XPHome) and then opening an html file is very simple for me. I do not have to make Safari the default browser.
                    I do not find it difficult to open a browser directly rather than using "View In Browser" in NoteTab. I did nothing special to make this work after I downloaded Safari for Windows.
                    Bruce Meyers

                    Message 9 of 15 , Oct 26, 2007
                      Interviewed by CNN on 26/10/2007 12:10, Bruce Meyers told the world:
                      > I am not sure exactly what you mean. I can open Safari, click on OpenFile and browse to any html file and open it. If you are talking about opening it through NoteTab, I do not know what to do, but just opening Safari (in XPHome) and then opening an html file is very simple for me. I do not have to make Safari the default browser.
                      > I do not find it difficult to open a browser directly rather than using "View In Browser" in NoteTab. I did nothing special to make this work after I downloaded Safari for Windows.

                      As I see it, the main point of having Safari in Windows, frankly, is to
                      test HTML code in one more engine. Despite whatever the Apple PR machine
                      might claim, Safari for Windows is still rough around the edges and does
                      not have much to offer when compared to Firefox or Opera for day-to-day
                      browsing.

                      Having that in mind, the idea is to take the same file and open it
                      sequentially, in IE, Firefox, Opera and Safari to look for rendering
                      problems. I can do it easily enough for the first three -- either from
                      inside Notetab (although additional "alternate browser" buttons would be
                      a good feature) or from Windows Explorer, by right-clicking and
                      selecting "Open With." Opera is the only one that needs "special
                      treatment." I mean, I'm *looking* at the damn file (either inside
                      NoteTab or in a folder), I shouldn't have to "browse to it" AGAIN. It
                      takes half a second to open a file in IE, Firefox or Opera; it takes
                      anywhere up to thirty seconds to do the same in Safari. THAT's the issue.

                      Because of those limitations, testing code in Safari currently is just
                      an afterthought -- it's not practical to do it routinely. I would like
                      to do it better, both because of the Mac public and because of Linux/KDE
                      users (Konqueror and Safari are based on similar technology).

                      Marcelo
                      -=-=-
                      Just my opinion! (But I'm right!!!)
                      Message 10 of 15 , Oct 26, 2007
                        Marcelo de Castro Bastos <mcblista@...> said on Oct 26, 2007
                        10:29 -0400 (in part):
                        > Having that in mind, the idea is to take the same file and open it
                        > sequentially, in IE, Firefox, Opera and Safari to look for rendering
                        > problems. I can do it easily enough for the first three -- either from
                        > inside Notetab (although additional "alternate browser" buttons would be
                        > a good feature) or from Windows Explorer, by right-clicking and
                        > selecting "Open With." Opera is the only one that needs "special
                        > treatment." I mean, I'm *looking* at the damn file (either inside
                        > NoteTab or in a folder), I shouldn't have to "browse to it" AGAIN. It
                        > takes half a second to open a file in IE, Firefox or Opera; it takes
                        > anywhere up to thirty seconds to do the same in Safari. THAT's the issue.
                        Marcelo: did you try my suggestions in:

                        The key point was that Safari appears to need "-url" in its command
                        line. If this is done Safari can be set up as either primary or
                        secondary browser in Notetab toolbar.

                        I used to have a clip (lost when I migrated computers last year) that
                        would allow user to choose from amongst any number of browsers to open
                        in the selected browser either the current page or a selected link. It
                        sounds like that is what you are after? It could be written to select
                        more than one browser simultaneously and open in all four with one click
                        if that's what you are after and if your system has the horsepower.

                        Regards ... Alec -- buralex-gmail

                        Message 11 of 15 , Oct 26, 2007
                          buralex@... said on Oct 26, 2007 18:28 -0400 (in part):
                          > open
                          > in the selected browser either the current page or a selected link.
                          typo: "current page" s/b "current file"

                          Regards ... Alec -- buralex-gmail

                        • Marcelo de Castro Bastos
                          Message 12 of 15 , Oct 27, 2007
                            Interviewed by CNN on 26/10/2007 20:28, buralex@... told the world:

                            > Marcelo: did you try my suggestions in:
                            >
                            > The key point was that Safari appears to need "-url" in its command
                            > line. If this is done Safari can be set up as either primary or
                            > secondary browser in Notetab toolbar.

                            Yeah, I tried it now and surprise... it WORKED.

                            I had kinda dismissed it at first, because I had previously found the
                            -url info and it hadn't worked in my original test with local files.
                            Turns out that apparently it only works with full URLs OR full
                            pathnames, so my original command-line tests failed (because I just
                            copied a HTML file to the current folder and tried to open it directly).

                            Thanks for making me have another look at it. I still think it's stupid
                            that Apple (you know, that company that claims their products "just
                            work") makes the users jump through all these hoops. But now at least
                            there's an easy way to do the HTML testing.

                            Marcelo

                            -=-=-
                            Unable to locate Coffee -- Operator Halted!
                            * TagZilla 0.066 on Seamonkey 1.1.5
                          • Marcelo de Castro Bastos
                            Message 13 of 15 , Nov 15, 2007
                              Interviewed by CNN on 21/10/2007 03:06, buralex@... told the world:
                              > OK ... not yet tested but this appears to be the format of the command
                              > line used by Windows when it invokes Safari as the default browser:
                              >
                              > * "C:\Program Files\AmbPF\Safari\Safari.exe" -url
                              > "http://www.jamendo.com/en/?p=music"
                              > o pasting the above in Start-Run box successfully invokes
                              > Safari. YIPPEE!!
                              >
                              > So ... I put this entry in "browsers.dat":
                              >
                              > [Safari]
                              > Application=Safari
                              > Command=C:\Program Files\AmbPF\Safari\Safari.exe -url "%1"
                              >
                              > Now I can go to Tools-Internet in Notetab and set either Main Browser or
                              > Other Browser to "Safari" (w/o quotes) and clicking the appropriate tool
                              > button opens the current file/buffer in Safari. (If set as "Main
                              > Browser" this is also the one that will be used by [Open Link] command.

                              Update on the using-Safari-to-preview-HTML-files thing:

                              Apple FIXED the issue in the new Safari for Windows 3.0.4 (officially
                              still a beta). Although the syntax buralex digged up (and I'm still
                              thankful for) still works, Safari no longer needs the -url option to
                              open local files. This means that you can use the built-in "Open With"
                              feature in Windows Explorer to open a file in Safari (like you already
                              could do with IE, Opera and Firefox), without needing to manually create
                              a context menu entry for the file type.

                              Marcelo

                              -=-=-
                              "Apple" (c) Copyright 1767, Sir Isaac Newton.
                              * TagZilla 0.066 on Seamonkey 1.1.6