  • WV-Mike
    Message 1 of 15 , Oct 17, 2007
      Greetings,
      On this page: http://www.EpicRoadTrips.us/, I would like the header image,
      which is also a background image, to load first.

      Any ideas on how this might be done?

      Thanks,
      -Mike
    • Corl DeLuna
      Message 2 of 15 , Oct 17, 2007
        Hi Mike,

        Check this out "preload images with CSS only"
        http://tutorials.alsacreations.com/preload/

        Hope this is what you are looking for.

        Corl

        _____

        Message 3 of 15 , Oct 17, 2007
          Corl DeLuna wrote:
          >Mike wrote:
          >>On this page: http://www.EpicRoadTrips.us/, I would like the header image,
          >>which is also a background image, to load first.

          >Check this out "preload images with CSS only"
          >http://tutorials.alsacreations.com/preload/

          I don't think the order in which the browser loads different components can
          be affected. Preloading only works for images that will be used later, in
          rollovers or whatever. It makes the browser cache them so they'll load
          quickly later. It doesn't do anything for the initial loading of the page.

          Message 4 of 15 , Oct 17, 2007
            WV-Mike wrote:
            > I would like the header image,
            > which is also a background image, to load first.

            There is no header image - as you say yourself there is only a
            background. An image is content, a background decoration. The first
            thing every single browser offered when colours etc. were first
            introduced into HTML was the ability to switch them off and for very
            many users, me included, that's how their browsers are set up. So you
            must expect your readers to never see your background. I have to admit
            though, that in your case it really is only decorative, but too many
            others are unaware of the distinction and place content where many users
            will never find it and never even get a hint it's there.

            I think it is a good thing when browsers load content first and quickly
            and decoration after and I have no idea how to alter that. If your image
            is important to you, make it content.

            Axel
          • WV-Mike
            Message 5 of 15 , Oct 17, 2007
              At 12:37 PM 10/17/2007 , Axel Berger wrote:
              >I have to admit
              >though, that in your case it really is only decorative, but too many
              >others are unaware of the distinction and place content where many users
              >will never find it and never even get a hint it's there.
              >
              >I think it is a good thing when browsers load content first and quickly
              >and decoration after and I have no idea how to alter that. If your image
              >is important to you, make it content.

              Point taken.
              I will see if this particular WordPress template can be modified to allow
              the needed change.

              Thanks,
              -Mike
            • Marcelo de Castro Bastos
              Message 6 of 15 , Oct 20, 2007
                Did anybody figure out how to (easily) open a HTML file in Safari for
                Windows, WITHOUT resorting to making it the system's default browser? It
                would be very useful for testing code in KHTML... however, so far I
                have been unable to make Safari load a file from the command-line. I
                have been doing that with Opera, Mozilla and IE for years with no
                problems... it would be nice adding a fourth browser engine.

                Marcelo

                -=-=-
                Winter is nature's way of saying "up yours".
                * TagZilla 0.066 on Seamonkey 1.1.4
              • Larry Hamilton
                Message 7 of 15 , Oct 20, 2007
                  Marcelo de Castro Bastos wrote:
                  > Did anybody figure out how to (easily) open a HTML file in Safari for
                  > Windows, WITHOUT resorting to making it the system's default browser? It
                  > would be very useful for testing code in KHTML... however, so far I
                  > have been unable to make Safari load a file from the command-line. I
                  > have been doing that with Opera, Mozilla and IE for years with no
                  > problems... it would be nice adding a fourth browser engine.

                  Marcelo,

                  Have you tried using the Browsers.dat file?

                  I do not have Safari, so I cannot test.

                  The Browsers.dat file allows you to define multiple browsers that can be
                  easily referenced with the ^!URL command.

                  For example, I have this in one of my NoteTab installation's browser.dat
                  for Opera, I believe it is the default browsers.dat from installation.

                  [Opera6]
                  ;Add full path to Opera.exe file name below if you have several versions
                  of the browser
                  Command=Opera.exe
                  UseDDE=1
                  Application=Opera
                  DdeCommand=Opera.exe /nowin /e

                  I am not sure what the settings might be for Safari.

                  I tried Googling for Safari command line options, but did not find much.

                  I found the Safari download page, http://www.apple.com/safari/download/,
                  and tried searching there, but no matches. If it is on Apple's site, you
                  need to know what they call it.

                  I'm running on my Linux partition right now. Out of curiosity, I
                  downloaded Safari for Windows. It will install under Wine, but will not
                  run. There is a help file buried a few levels down under the
                  "Safari.resources" directory, in the Help directory under en.lproj.

                  My curiosity was peaked, so I booted up another PC with Windows and
                  installed Safari.

                  I searched the help and nothing about command lines. I tried using
                  various options:

                  safari.exe webpage
                  safari.exe /?
                  safari.exe --help

                  No joy. Evidently there are no command line options for Windows safari,
                  or they are not documented.

                  I tried using the browsers.dat anyway, and all it does is launch a new
                  instance of Safari at the safari homepage.

                  The only other way to open a page from NoteTab in Safari would be to
                  write a clip to paste in the path of the file in the address bar. Not
                  elegant, but it would work.

                  Safari cannot open a directory listing, like other browsers can. I was
                  going to suggest you make a shortcut to the directory with the files you
                  would be testing, so Safari would display the filenames that you could
                  then click on.

                  Another option would be to build an HTML page that uses javascript or
                  another scripting language to give a list of the files in a directory
                  that would update when they change.

                  You can also drag & drop files onto Safari to be opened.

                  Until Apple gives more polish to Safari, it looks like you'll have to
                  get creative to automate opening a page from NoteTab.

                  If you or anyone else happens to figure it out, let us know.

                  Larry Hamilton
                • fw7oaks
                  Message 8 of 15 , Oct 20, 2007
                    Reading the Apple support forum it looks as if it is a known problem.

                    I can't even get it to work using a file as a default page.

                    fw

                  • buralex@gmail.com
                    Message 9 of 15 , Oct 20, 2007
                      Larry Hamilton <lmh@...> said on Oct 20, 2007 15:09
                      -0400 (in part):
                      > Marcelo de Castro Bastos wrote:
                      >
                      >> > Did anybody figure out how to (easily) open a HTML file in Safari for
                      >> > Windows, WITHOUT resorting to making it the system's default browser? It
                      >> > would be very useful for testing code in KHTML... however, so far I
                      >> > have been unable to make Safari load a file from the command-line. I
                      >> > have been doing that with Opera, Mozilla and IE for years with no
                      >> > problems... it would be nice adding a fourth browser engine.
                      >> >

                      > Marcelo,
                      >
                      > Have you tried using the Browsers.dat file?
                      That's really weird - Marcelo seems to indicate that if you make Safari
                      the default browser then it WILL open the correct page when asked (by
                      Notetab - and presumably your email client and/or a URL shortcut etc.)

                      Marcelo - do you have Process Explorer (just Google - formerly from
                      Sysinternals - now Microsoft) on your system?
                      With it, double clicking on a running task opens a properties window -
                      on its image tab you can grab and copy the command-line that has been
                      used to initiate the browser.

                      I have a small program called URLrun.exe
                      (http://www.sellsbrothers.com/tools/) which when invoked will open any
                      URL-like string it finds in the clipboard. - Its also handy for fixing
                      URLs "broken" in emails - it removes CR's etc. to come up with the
                      correct URL. Works great if placed in Quick Launch toolbar.

                      I copied the address of Safari-downloads to clipboard, initiated
                      URLrun.exe and found this command-line (my default browser is currently
                      Firefox)

                      * "C:\Program Files\AmbPF_notins\UrlRun\UrlRun.exe" - it opened
                      Firefox with this command-line:
                      o "C:\PROGRA~1\AMBPF\MOZILL~1\FIREFO~1\FIREFOX.EXE"
                      -requestPending -osint -url
                      "http://www.apple.com/safari/download/" - this opened the
                      "choose profile" dialog then terminated
                      + after opening a *NEW* instance of Firefox with the
                      same command line.

                      So as an "experiment" lets try downloading Safari, making it temporarily
                      the "default browser" and see what we see ...
                      OK ... not yet tested but this appears to be the format of the command
                      line used by Windows when it invokes Safari as the default browser:

                      * "C:\Program Files\AmbPF\Safari\Safari.exe" -url
                      "http://www.jamendo.com/en/?p=music"
                      o pasting the above in Start-Run box successfully invokes
                      Safari. YIPPEE!!

                      So ... I put this entry in "browsers.dat":

                      [Safari]
                      Application=Safari
                      Command=C:\Program Files\AmbPF\Safari\Safari.exe -url "%1"

                      Now I can go to Tools-Internet in Notetab and set either Main Browser or
                      Other Browser to "Safari" (w/o quotes) and clicking the appropriate tool
                      button opens the current file/buffer in Safari. (If set as "Main
                      Browser" this is also the one that will be used by [Open Link] command.

                      Regards ... Alec -- buralex-gmail

                    • Bruce Meyers
                      Message 10 of 15 , Oct 26, 2007
                        Marcelo,
                        I am not sure exactly what you mean. I can open Safari, click on OpenFile and browse to any html file and open it. If you are talking about opening it through NoteTab, I do not know what to do, but just opening Safari (in XPHome) and then opening an html file is very simple for me. I do not have to make Safari the default browser.
                        I do not find it difficult to open a browser directly rather than using "View In Browser" in NoteTab. I did nothing special to make this work after I downloaded Safari for Windows.
                        Bruce Meyers

                        Message 11 of 15 , Oct 26, 2007
                          Interviewed by CNN on 26/10/2007 12:10, Bruce Meyers told the world:
                          > I am not sure exactly what you mean. I can open Safari, click on OpenFile and browse to any html file and open it. If you are talking about opening it through NoteTab, I do not know what to do, but just opening Safari (in XPHome) and then opening an html file is very simple for me. I do not have to make Safari the default browser.
                          > I do not find it difficult to open a browser directly rather than using "View In Browser" in NoteTab. I did nothing special to make this work after I downloaded Safari for Windows.

                          As I see it, the main point of having Safari in Windows, frankly, is to
                          test HTML code in one more engine. Despite whatever the Apple PR machine
                          might claim, Safari for Windows is still rough around the edges and does
                          not have much to offer when compared to Firefox or Opera for day-to-day
                          browsing.

                          Having that in mind, the idea is to take the same file and open it
                          sequentially, in IE, Firefox, Opera and Safari to look for rendering
                          problems. I can do it easily enough for the first three -- either from
                          inside Notetab (although additional "alternate browser" buttons would be
                          a good feature) or from Windows Explorer, by right-clicking and
                          selecting "Open With." Opera is the only one that needs "special
                          treatment." I mean, I'm *looking* at the damn file (either inside
                          NoteTab or in a folder), I shouldn't have to "browse to it" AGAIN. It
                          takes half a second to open a file in IE, Firefox or Opera; it takes
                          anywhere up to thirty seconds to do the same in Safari. THAT's the issue.

                          Because of those limitations, testing code in Safari currently is just
                          an afterthought -- it's not practical to do it routinely. I would like
                          to do it better, both because of the Mac public and because of Linux/KDE
                          users (Konqueror and Safari are based on similar technology).

                          Marcelo
                          -=-=-
                          Just my opinion! (But I'm right!!!)
                          Message 12 of 15 , Oct 26, 2007
                            Marcelo de Castro Bastos <mcblista@...> said on Oct 26, 2007
                            10:29 -0400 (in part):
                            > Having that in mind, the idea is to take the same file and open it
                            > sequentially, in IE, Firefox, Opera and Safari to look for rendering
                            > problems. I can do it easily enough for the first three -- either from
                            > inside Notetab (although additional "alternate browser" buttons would be
                            > a good feature) or from Windows Explorer, by right-clicking and
                            > selecting "Open With." Opera is the only one that needs "special
                            > treatment." I mean, I'm *looking* at the damn file (either inside
                            > NoteTab or in a folder), I shouldn't have to "browse to it" AGAIN. It
                            > takes half a second to open a file in IE, Firefox or Opera; it takes
                            > anywhere up to thirty seconds to do the same in Safari. THAT's the issue.
                            Marcelo: did you try my suggestions in:

                            The key point was that Safari appears to need "-url" in its command
                            line. If this is done Safari can be set up as either primary or
                            secondary browser in Notetab toolbar.

                            I used to have a clip (lost when I migrated computers last year) that
                            would allow user to choose from amongst any number of browsers to open
                            in the selected browser either the current page or a selected link. It
                            sounds like that is what you are after? It could be written to select
                            more than one browser simultaneously and open in all four with one click
                            if that's what you are after and if your system has the horsepower.

                            Regards ... Alec -- buralex-gmail

                            Message 13 of 15 , Oct 26, 2007
                              buralex@... said on Oct 26, 2007 18:28 -0400 (in part):
                              > open
                              > in the selected browser either the current page or a selected link.
                              typo: "current page" s/b "current file"

                              Regards ... Alec -- buralex-gmail

                            • Marcelo de Castro Bastos
                              Message 14 of 15 , Oct 27, 2007
                                Interviewed by CNN on 26/10/2007 20:28, buralex@... told the world:

                                > Marcelo: did you try my suggestions in:
                                >
                                > The key point was that Safari appears to need "-url" in its command
                                > line. If this is done Safari can be set up as either primary or
                                > secondary browser in Notetab toolbar.

                                Yeah, I tried it now and surprise... it WORKED.

                                I had kinda dismissed it at first, because I had previously found the
                                -url info and it hadn't worked in my original test with local files.
                                Turns out that apparently it only works with full URLs OR full
                                pathnames, so my original command-line tests failed (because I just
                                copied a HTML file to the current folder and tried to open it directly).

                                Thanks for making me have another look at it. I still think it's stupid
                                that Apple (you know, that company that claims their products "just
                                work") makes the users jump through all these hoops. But now at least
                                there's an easy way to do the HTML testing.

                                Marcelo

                                -=-=-
                                Unable to locate Coffee -- Operator Halted!
                                * TagZilla 0.066 on Seamonkey 1.1.5
                              • Marcelo de Castro Bastos
                                Message 15 of 15 , Nov 15, 2007
                                  Interviewed by CNN on 21/10/2007 03:06, buralex@... told the world:
                                  > OK ... not yet tested but this appears to be the format of the command
                                  > line used by Windows when it invokes Safari as the default browser:
                                  >
                                  > * "C:\Program Files\AmbPF\Safari\Safari.exe" -url
                                  > "http://www.jamendo.com/en/?p=music"
                                  > o pasting the above in Start-Run box successfully invokes
                                  > Safari. YIPPEE!!
                                  >
                                  > So ... I put this entry in "browsers.dat":
                                  >
                                  > [Safari]
                                  > Application=Safari
                                  > Command=C:\Program Files\AmbPF\Safari\Safari.exe -url "%1"
                                  >
                                  > Now I can go to Tools-Internet in Notetab and set either Main Browser or
                                  > Other Browser to "Safari" (w/o quotes) and clicking the appropriate tool
                                  > button opens the current file/buffer in Safari. (If set as "Main
                                  > Browser" this is also the one that will be used by [Open Link] command.

                                  Update on the using-Safari-to-preview-HTML-files thing:

                                  Apple FIXED the issue in the new Safari for Windows 3.0.4 (officially
                                  still a beta). Although the syntax buralex digged up (and I'm still
                                  thankful for) still works, Safari no longer needs the -url option to
                                  open local files. This means that you can use the built-in "Open With"
                                  feature in Windows Explorer to open a file in Safari (like you already
                                  could do with IE, Opera and Firefox), without needing to manually create
                                  a context menu entry for the file type.

                                  Marcelo

                                  -=-=-
                                  "Apple" (c) Copyright 1767, Sir Isaac Newton.
                                  * TagZilla 0.066 on Seamonkey 1.1.6