Re: [NH] How do I centre?

  • sisterscape
    Message 1 of 7 , Oct 2, 2007
      I'm not sure that I understand either but text-align:center; is a
      standard way to center content as well as block elements.

      http://tv.yahoo.com/collections/3658
      Message 2 of 7 , Oct 2, 2007
        sisterscape wrote:
        > I'm not sure that I understand either but text-align:center; is a
        > standard way to center content as well as block elements.

        Sure is. I've now cobbled together an example, borders and backgrounds
        are just to make it more obvious what happens. The table does what I
        want: It makes itself exactly as wide as it needs to be and then centres
        itself, and I can even do the centering by CSS alone, so it will be left
        aligned in unstyled context and not stand out unnecessarily, i.e. look
        no different from the DIV above.
        The DIV also centres itself, but you only see that because of the
        colouring. The text is definitely to the left in a wide window and it
        gets broken far too soon in a small one. The table does the latter only
        when it actually touches the border. Normally a slight bit of margining
        is part of my <H4> and my <P> so it won't look that ugly. And of course
        in this example the line are excessively short, think central in a three
        column layout and think long street names and you get a better picture.

        Alright, so the table works fine, but it is using a table only for
        layout on non-tabular material.

        Axel

        <DIV CLASS="outer" STYLE="
        width:80%;
        margin-left:auto;
        margin-right: auto;
        border: 3px solid #0000FF;
        text-align:center">

        <DIV CLASS="inner" STYLE="
        width:40%;
        margin-left:auto;
        margin-right: auto;
        background-color: #EEEEEE;">
        <h4 style="text-align:left">Great people</h4>
        <P style="text-align: left">
        Don <BR>
        html-fixit
        </P>
        <P style="text-align: left">
        loro <BR>
        another nice helper
        </P>
        <P style="text-align: left">
        sisterscape <BR>
        third of the bunch
        </P>
        </DIV><!-- end .INNER -->

        <TABLE ALIGN="left" BGCOLOR="#CCFFCC" BORDER="0" CELLSPACING="0"
        CELLPADDING="0" STYLE=" margin-left:auto; margin-right: auto;">
        <TR ALIGN="left">
        <TD ALIGN="left">
        <h4 style="text-align:left">Great people</h4>
        <P style="text-align: left">
        Don <BR>
        html-fixit
        </P>