Re: [NH] How do I centre?

    Message 1 of 7 , Oct 2, 2007
      Axel Berger wrote:
      >Of course there is an alternative. I could just use a table with only
      >one line and one column and centre that, but this doesn't seem very
      >elegant. There is another reason for wanting CSS in this particular
      >case: I do not want these paragraphs to be centred in the unstyled
      >version for older browsers, and the table would do that.

      So what is the content and what decides its "natural" width? Paragraphs
      suggest the content is text, but what's the width of some text? The width
      of the longest line or of the longest word?

      I'd either use a width, it needn't be fixed, or equal left and right
      margins, alternatively padding (either for the Ps themselves or a parent
      block). But then again, I'm not sure what it really is you want to do and
      with what. An example of that would make things easier. Could you create
      one with tables, just so we can see what you mean?

      Message 2 of 7 , Oct 2, 2007
        Don, Loro, thanks for your input

        "Don - HtmlFixIt.com" wrote:
        > use auto for the left and right margin
        > and that will center something horizontally.

        Yes, if there are margins. But not if the entity, say a DIV, spreads out
        to fill all the horizontal space as everything in HTML does by default.

        loro wrote:
        > So what is the content and what decides its "natural" width?
        > Paragraphs suggest the content is text, but what's the width of
        > some text? The width of the longest line or of the longest word?

        Exactly. Of course this only makes sense for short headers and lines
        broken with <BR>.

        > I'd either use a width, it needn't be fixed

        How can it be not fixed? For a table I specify some small width as
        tables spread out to fit their content as far as possible, but DIVs
        don't. {overflow: visible;} will write outside the DIV, not widen it
        (except in IE). It would of course be easy to choose a sensible em width
        to fit the present circumstance, but I want to define a class that can
        be used time and time again. The outer container changes its width
        through the fluid layout and the inner content can be anything - it can
        even be wider than the ouside forcing additional breaks. For me the
        viewer has to be the arbiter of screen layout and my design has to
        accomodate him, not the other way round as I see all to often.

        > Could you create
        > one with tables, just so we can see what you mean?

        A bit pressed right now, perhaps later today.

        Danke
        Axel
      • dhays@haysdesign.com
        Message 3 of 7 , Oct 2, 2007
          I sometimes use a percentage, such as:

          .centereddata {
          margin: 0 10% 0 10%;
          }

          (Change the 10% to anything you want.)

          And, if you want everything inside the DIV centered...

          .centereddata {
          margin: 0 10% 0 10%;
          text-align: center;
          }

          Now you have a fluid, centered DIV. As the browser expands or contracts,
          the DIV does, as well.

          Is this what you mean?

          Best,

          Dennis
          ----------------------
          Photo News Today
          http://www.photonewstoday.com

          On Tue, 02 Oct 2007 16:48:34 +0200, Axel Berger <Axel-Berger@...>
          wrote:
          > Don, Loro, thanks for your input
          >
          > "Don - HtmlFixIt.com" wrote:
          >> use auto for the left and right margin
          >> and that will center something horizontally.
          >
          > Yes, if there are margins. But not if the entity, say a DIV, spreads out
          > to fill all the horizontal space as everything in HTML does by default.
          >
          > loro wrote:
          >> So what is the content and what decides its "natural" width?
          >> Paragraphs suggest the content is text, but what's the width of
          >> some text? The width of the longest line or of the longest word?
          >
          > Exactly. Of course this only makes sense for short headers and lines
          > broken with <BR>.
          >
          >> I'd either use a width, it needn't be fixed
        • sisterscape
          Message 4 of 7 , Oct 2, 2007
            I'm not sure that I understand either but text-align:center; is a
            standard way to center content as well as block elements.

            http://tv.yahoo.com/collections/3658
            Message 5 of 7 , Oct 2, 2007
              sisterscape wrote:
              > I'm not sure that I understand either but text-align:center; is a
              > standard way to center content as well as block elements.

              Sure is. I've now cobbled together an example, borders and backgrounds
              are just to make it more obvious what happens. The table does what I
              want: It makes itself exactly as wide as it needs to be and then centres
              itself, and I can even do the centering by CSS alone, so it will be left
              aligned in unstyled context and not stand out unnecessarily, i.e. look
              no different from the DIV above.
              The DIV also centres itself, but you only see that because of the
              colouring. The text is definitely to the left in a wide window and it
              gets broken far too soon in a small one. The table does the latter only
              when it actually touches the border. Normally a slight bit of margining
              is part of my <H4> and my <P> so it won't look that ugly. And of course
              in this example the line are excessively short, think central in a three
              column layout and think long street names and you get a better picture.

              Alright, so the table works fine, but it is using a table only for
              layout on non-tabular material.

              Axel

              <DIV CLASS="outer" STYLE="
              width:80%;
              margin-left:auto;
              margin-right: auto;
              border: 3px solid #0000FF;
              text-align:center">

              <DIV CLASS="inner" STYLE="
              width:40%;
              margin-left:auto;
              margin-right: auto;
              background-color: #EEEEEE;">
              <h4 style="text-align:left">Great people</h4>
              <P style="text-align: left">
              Don <BR>
              html-fixit
              </P>
              <P style="text-align: left">
              loro <BR>
              another nice helper
              </P>
              <P style="text-align: left">
              sisterscape <BR>
              third of the bunch
              </P>
              </DIV><!-- end .INNER -->

              <TABLE ALIGN="left" BGCOLOR="#CCFFCC" BORDER="0" CELLSPACING="0"
              CELLPADDING="0" STYLE=" margin-left:auto; margin-right: auto;">
              <TR ALIGN="left">
              <TD ALIGN="left">
              <h4 style="text-align:left">Great people</h4>
              <P style="text-align: left">
              Don <BR>
              html-fixit
              </P>