Re: [NH] Re: margins for paragraphs

  • buralex@gmail.com
    Message 1 of 4 , Sep 30, 2007
      Axel Berger <Axel-Berger@...> said on Sep 30, 2007 3:41 -0400 (in
      part):
      > Oh for the syntax error messages in compilers that don't let typos slip
      > by so easily!
      Isn't that why God invented HTML-tidy :-)

      Regards ... Alec -- buralex-gmail

    • Corl DeLuna
      Message 2 of 4 , Sep 30, 2007
        Hi Axel,

        I've been using the Global White Space Reset technique for a long time now
        <blocked::http://leftjustified.net/journal/2004/10/19/global-ws-reset/>
        http://leftjustified.net/journal/2004/10/19/global-ws-reset/ taking almost
        all of the guess work out of why my explicit margins aren't behaving. It's
        very easy to implement.

        * { /*global reset*/
        padding: 0;
        margin: 0;
        }

        I don't set any margins for my paragraphs, instead I let them inherit the
        parent div margins. This prevents the confusion of the margins of one
        element adding to another.

        For my own sanity, I explicitly state all four directions in each margin,
        even when 0:

        li{
        line-height: 1.4em;
        margin: 0 0 .7em 0;
        }

        I'm looking at adopting the YUI Reset CSS technique
        http://developer.yahoo.com/yui/reset/
        <blocked::http://developer.yahoo.com/yui/reset/> to create a level playing
        field across most browsers.

        Hope this helps some.
        Corl

        _____

        Message 3 of 4 , Sep 30, 2007
          --- Corl DeLuna <corl@...> wrote:

          > I've been using the Global White Space Reset technique for a long
          > time now
          >
          > * { /*global reset*/
          > padding: 0;
          > margin: 0;
          > }

          I haven't been following this thread but yes, this reset technique is
          necessary to put all browsers on a level playing field with regard to
          margins and padding. Once that's included in your stylesheet, you
          should be able to specify your own margins/padding without interference
          from browser interpretation.

          Need a vacation? Get great deals
          to amazing places on Yahoo! Travel.
          http://travel.yahoo.com/