Invisible Element

    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 27, 2007
      It is very easy to make things invisible using CSS. But I want to do the
      opposite. I insist on making my pages fully acceptable in old browsers
      without CSS. Now I like doing this:

      <UL STYLE="max-width:35em">
      <LI>
      <SPAN CLASS="righttext"><B>   (2007)</B></SPAN>
      <H3><A HREF="Mutti/Literatur.htm">
      Veröffentlichungen von Anni Berger</A></H3>
      </LI>

      with:
      .RIGHTTEXT {float:right}
      (and for IE:
      * HTML BODY {margin-left:2%; margin-right:2%}
      * HTML BODY P {width:660}
      * HTML BODY UL {width:600}
      * HTML BODY UL LI {margin-top:2ex}
      * HTML BODY UL LI H3 {display:inline}
      )
      Often the date is generated through PHP and set to last modified. Now
      without CSS the date is behind the item bullet and the title beneath
      that. Before this formatting I used to include the date into the H3,
      make it <SMALL> and style it {position:absolute; right:1em} but that has
      other problems. So the best I can think of is just drop the date when
      there's no style sheet. Is there any nonexistent and invisible element I
      could style while still writing valid code?
      I might misuse NOFRAMES, but how can I redefine that as visible using
      styles?
      Same question for OBJECT.

      Danke