What does this mean?

  • Edward
    Message 1 of 5 , Jun 29, 2007
      Error Line 2, column 120: DTD did not contain element declaration for document type name .

      This is the top of the document.
      <?xml version="1.0"?>
      <!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Transitional//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-transitional.dtd">

      What is lacking here?
      Ed

    • Don - HtmlFixIt.com
      Message 2 of 5 , Jun 29, 2007
        Delete the top line Edward. It is unneccessary. It will clear the
        issue for you. The very first line in a document needs to be the
        Document Type Declaration (or DTD). The xml line is not needed for your
        purposes and was put there undoubtedly by notetab as they once had it in
        their standard web page template.

        Don

        Edward wrote:
        > Error Line 2, column 120: DTD did not contain element declaration for document type name .
        >
        > This is the top of the document.
        > <?xml version="1.0"?>
        > <!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Transitional//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-transitional.dtd">

        > What is lacking here?
        > Ed

      • Edward
        Message 3 of 5 , Jun 29, 2007
          For get the last message, I went to the htmlfixit.com and stole the heading
          from that page and it works great. Thanks Franki
          Ed
            >Error Line 2, column 120: DTD did not contain element declaration for
            >document type name .
            >
            >This is the top of the document.
            ><?xml version="1.0"?>
            ><!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC

            <snip>

            Doctypes are partly case sensitive. XHTML doctypes must have 'html' (in the
            snip above) in lower case.

            http://www.w3.org/QA/2002/04/valid-dtd-list.html

            Lotta
          • Edward
            Message 5 of 5 , Jun 29, 2007
              That is great, I searched all over their website but never ran across that
              page. I have it in my favorites now. But I learned a long time ago that if
              some one has an xhtml transistion web page that validates, grab what you
              need and go with it. Worked for me.
              Ed