Re: [NH] HTML slide show creators

  • Greg Chapman
    Message 1 of 18 , Jun 18 7:10 AM
      Hi Mike,

      On 18 Jun 07 12:37 Mike Breiding <mike@...> said:
      > I have not looked at Irfanview's Slideshow yet. I am not too crazy
      > about Javascript because of the pop-up blocking issue.

      There is only one way you can achieve an automatically advancing
      slideshow in pure HTML, and that involves the <meta
      http-equiv="refresh"> tag. This, of course, has no facility for the
      user to control the show.

      All other methods do require the use of plug-ins, external programs,
      or scriping that users may have turned off or not have installed.

      You appear to know what the issues are!

      I'm afraid it's the old thing of "you pays your money and makes your
      choice!

      Greg
    • Marcelo de Castro Bastos
      Message 2 of 18 , Jun 18 7:11 AM
        On the last exciting episode, aired on 18/6/2007 10:50, Axel Berger
        invited the wrath of the gods by saying:
        > Mike Breiding wrote:
        >
        >> I am not too crazy about Javascript because of the pop-up
        >> blocking issue.
        >>

        > I agree with you. But if that's the case, then maybe you should do the
        > same as me and forego slideshows. The only way to do them without having
        > something active running on your visitors' computers that I can think of
        > are those moving GIFs.

        Well... it is possible using meta redirects. You make a HTML page for
        each picture, and use the "meta refresh" tag to load the next page (with
        the next pic) after a set number of seconds. Only problem is, meta
        redirects are annoying as hell -- and, like Javascript and plugins, are
        frequently disabled by users.

        Marcelo

        -=-=-
        Press <Alt-A> to Adopt Me! I need a better home.
        * TagZilla 0.066 on Seamonkey 1.1.2
      • Mike Breiding
        Message 3 of 18 , Jun 18 9:34 AM
          I considered <meta http-equiv="refresh"> tag as well but as others have
          pointed out this can trigger pop-up alarms as well.
          Pluss, it is rather cumbersome.

          I am about ready to scrap this idea and just use what I normally use:
          http://epicroadtrips.us/2006/spring/Southern_New_Jersey/
          http://epicroadtrips.us/2006/summer/yough_river_cville2dawson/

          Thanks,
          -Mike
          ==========
          At 10:10 AM 6/18/2007 , you wrote:
          >Hi Mike,
          >There is only one way you can achieve an automatically advancing
          >slideshow in pure HTML, and that involves the <meta
          >http-equiv="refresh"> tag. This, of course, has no facility for the
          >user to control the show.
          >Greg

        • Corl DeLuna
          Message 4 of 18 , Jun 18 11:05 AM
            Hi Mike,

            I had no idea you had so much more on your site. Woah! Tons of pictures with
            a lots of interesting background info about each. I think most slide shows
            would limit the amount of info you like to share. I'd like to point you to a
            subsection of Stu's site related to image mapping that I think is right up
            your alley.

            http://www.cssplay.co.uk/menu/mapper.html
            http://www.cssplay.co.uk/menu/balloons.html
            <http://cssplay.co.uk/menu/old_master.html>
            http://cssplay.co.uk/menu/old_master.html and there is so much more.

            Your site as it is, is very impressive, but I wouldn't have known about New
            Jersy without the link in this email. May I suggest more work on your site
            wide navigation, while keeping it simple like you are already. Maybe taking
            your FL imagemap idea and showing your whole route traced out for all 13
            states?

            Best to you on your HTML road trip,
            Corl

            _____