Re: [NH] HTML slide show creators

  • Scott Fordin
    Message 1 of 18 , Jun 18, 2007
      I'm not sure about automation, but I know that OpenOffice can
      create very nice HTML presentations. In the model I've used for
      quite a number of presentations users simply click a nav bar to
      move forward, backward, or to the slideshow index. Also free.

      Photoshop and Photoshop Elements both also have slide show
      scripts, but those programs cost real money. Finally, you may
      want to consider a video editing program, either standalone,
      like Vegas Studio, Ulead DVD Creator, Premiere Elements, or
      the tools that come with burning packages like Roxio or Nero.

      Scott

      Axel Berger wrote:

      > Mike Breiding wrote:
      > > I am not too crazy about Javascript because of the pop-up
      > > blocking issue.
      >
      > I agree with you. But if that's the case, then maybe you should do the
      > same as me and forego slideshows. The only way to do them without having
      > something active running on your visitors' computers that I can think of
      > are those moving GIFs.
      >
      > Axel

    • Greg Chapman
      Message 2 of 18 , Jun 18, 2007
        Hi Mike,

        On 18 Jun 07 12:37 Mike Breiding <mike@...> said:
        > I have not looked at Irfanview's Slideshow yet. I am not too crazy
        > about Javascript because of the pop-up blocking issue.

        There is only one way you can achieve an automatically advancing
        slideshow in pure HTML, and that involves the <meta
        http-equiv="refresh"> tag. This, of course, has no facility for the
        user to control the show.

        All other methods do require the use of plug-ins, external programs,
        or scriping that users may have turned off or not have installed.

        You appear to know what the issues are!

        I'm afraid it's the old thing of "you pays your money and makes your
        choice!

        Greg
      • Marcelo de Castro Bastos
        Message 3 of 18 , Jun 18, 2007
          On the last exciting episode, aired on 18/6/2007 10:50, Axel Berger
          invited the wrath of the gods by saying:
          > Mike Breiding wrote:
          >
          >> I am not too crazy about Javascript because of the pop-up
          >> blocking issue.
          >>

          > I agree with you. But if that's the case, then maybe you should do the
          > same as me and forego slideshows. The only way to do them without having
          > something active running on your visitors' computers that I can think of
          > are those moving GIFs.

          Well... it is possible using meta redirects. You make a HTML page for
          each picture, and use the "meta refresh" tag to load the next page (with
          the next pic) after a set number of seconds. Only problem is, meta
          redirects are annoying as hell -- and, like Javascript and plugins, are
          frequently disabled by users.

          Marcelo

          -=-=-
          Press <Alt-A> to Adopt Me! I need a better home.
          * TagZilla 0.066 on Seamonkey 1.1.2
        • Mike Breiding
          Message 4 of 18 , Jun 18, 2007
            I considered <meta http-equiv="refresh"> tag as well but as others have
            pointed out this can trigger pop-up alarms as well.
            Pluss, it is rather cumbersome.

            I am about ready to scrap this idea and just use what I normally use:
            http://epicroadtrips.us/2006/spring/Southern_New_Jersey/
            http://epicroadtrips.us/2006/summer/yough_river_cville2dawson/

            Thanks,
            -Mike
            ==========
            At 10:10 AM 6/18/2007 , you wrote:
            >Hi Mike,
            >There is only one way you can achieve an automatically advancing
            >slideshow in pure HTML, and that involves the <meta
            >http-equiv="refresh"> tag. This, of course, has no facility for the
            >user to control the show.
            >Greg

          • Corl DeLuna
            Message 5 of 18 , Jun 18, 2007
              Hi Mike,

              I had no idea you had so much more on your site. Woah! Tons of pictures with
              a lots of interesting background info about each. I think most slide shows
              would limit the amount of info you like to share. I'd like to point you to a
              subsection of Stu's site related to image mapping that I think is right up
              your alley.

              http://www.cssplay.co.uk/menu/mapper.html
              http://www.cssplay.co.uk/menu/balloons.html
              <http://cssplay.co.uk/menu/old_master.html>
              http://cssplay.co.uk/menu/old_master.html and there is so much more.

              Your site as it is, is very impressive, but I wouldn't have known about New
              Jersy without the link in this email. May I suggest more work on your site
              wide navigation, while keeping it simple like you are already. Maybe taking
              your FL imagemap idea and showing your whole route traced out for all 13
              states?

              Best to you on your HTML road trip,
              Corl

              _____