Re: [NH] HTML slide show creators

    Message 1 of 18 , Jun 18, 2007
      Mike Breiding wrote:
      > I am not too crazy about Javascript because of the pop-up
      > blocking issue.

      I agree with you. But if that's the case, then maybe you should do the
      same as me and forego slideshows. The only way to do them without having
      something active running on your visitors' computers that I can think of
      are those moving GIFs.

      Axel
    • Scott Fordin
      Message 2 of 18 , Jun 18, 2007
        I'm not sure about automation, but I know that OpenOffice can
        create very nice HTML presentations. In the model I've used for
        quite a number of presentations users simply click a nav bar to
        move forward, backward, or to the slideshow index. Also free.

        Photoshop and Photoshop Elements both also have slide show
        scripts, but those programs cost real money. Finally, you may
        want to consider a video editing program, either standalone,
        like Vegas Studio, Ulead DVD Creator, Premiere Elements, or
        the tools that come with burning packages like Roxio or Nero.

        Scott

        Axel Berger wrote:

        > Mike Breiding wrote:
        > > I am not too crazy about Javascript because of the pop-up
        > > blocking issue.
        >
        > I agree with you. But if that's the case, then maybe you should do the
        > same as me and forego slideshows. The only way to do them without having
        > something active running on your visitors' computers that I can think of
        > are those moving GIFs.
        >
        > Axel

      • Greg Chapman
        Message 3 of 18 , Jun 18, 2007
          Hi Mike,

          On 18 Jun 07 12:37 Mike Breiding <mike@...> said:
          > I have not looked at Irfanview's Slideshow yet. I am not too crazy
          > about Javascript because of the pop-up blocking issue.

          There is only one way you can achieve an automatically advancing
          slideshow in pure HTML, and that involves the <meta
          http-equiv="refresh"> tag. This, of course, has no facility for the
          user to control the show.

          All other methods do require the use of plug-ins, external programs,
          or scriping that users may have turned off or not have installed.

          You appear to know what the issues are!

          I'm afraid it's the old thing of "you pays your money and makes your
          choice!

          Greg
        • Marcelo de Castro Bastos
          Message 4 of 18 , Jun 18, 2007
            On the last exciting episode, aired on 18/6/2007 10:50, Axel Berger
            invited the wrath of the gods by saying:
            > Mike Breiding wrote:
            >
            >> I am not too crazy about Javascript because of the pop-up
            >> blocking issue.
            >>

            > I agree with you. But if that's the case, then maybe you should do the
            > same as me and forego slideshows. The only way to do them without having
            > something active running on your visitors' computers that I can think of
            > are those moving GIFs.

            Well... it is possible using meta redirects. You make a HTML page for
            each picture, and use the "meta refresh" tag to load the next page (with
            the next pic) after a set number of seconds. Only problem is, meta
            redirects are annoying as hell -- and, like Javascript and plugins, are
            frequently disabled by users.

            Marcelo

            -=-=-
            Press <Alt-A> to Adopt Me! I need a better home.
            * TagZilla 0.066 on Seamonkey 1.1.2
          • Mike Breiding
            Message 5 of 18 , Jun 18, 2007
              I considered <meta http-equiv="refresh"> tag as well but as others have
              pointed out this can trigger pop-up alarms as well.
              Pluss, it is rather cumbersome.

              I am about ready to scrap this idea and just use what I normally use:
              http://epicroadtrips.us/2006/spring/Southern_New_Jersey/
              http://epicroadtrips.us/2006/summer/yough_river_cville2dawson/

              Thanks,
              -Mike
              ==========
              At 10:10 AM 6/18/2007 , you wrote:
              >Hi Mike,
              >There is only one way you can achieve an automatically advancing
              >slideshow in pure HTML, and that involves the <meta
              >http-equiv="refresh"> tag. This, of course, has no facility for the
              >user to control the show.
              >Greg

            • Corl DeLuna
              Message 6 of 18 , Jun 18, 2007
                Hi Mike,

                I had no idea you had so much more on your site. Woah! Tons of pictures with
                a lots of interesting background info about each. I think most slide shows
                would limit the amount of info you like to share. I'd like to point you to a
                subsection of Stu's site related to image mapping that I think is right up
                your alley.

                http://www.cssplay.co.uk/menu/mapper.html
                http://www.cssplay.co.uk/menu/balloons.html
                <http://cssplay.co.uk/menu/old_master.html>
                http://cssplay.co.uk/menu/old_master.html and there is so much more.

                Your site as it is, is very impressive, but I wouldn't have known about New
                Jersy without the link in this email. May I suggest more work on your site
                wide navigation, while keeping it simple like you are already. Maybe taking
                your FL imagemap idea and showing your whole route traced out for all 13
                states?

                Best to you on your HTML road trip,
                Corl

                _____