Re: [NH] HTML slide show creators

  • Dave
    Message 1 of 18 , Jun 18, 2007
      Hi
      Irfanview slideshow can be controlled by the mouse check the options 3.99
      its free.
      THANKYOU DAVE M

      Message 2 of 18 , Jun 18, 2007
        Mike Breiding wrote:
        > I am not too crazy about Javascript because of the pop-up
        > blocking issue.

        I agree with you. But if that's the case, then maybe you should do the
        same as me and forego slideshows. The only way to do them without having
        something active running on your visitors' computers that I can think of
        are those moving GIFs.

        Axel
      • Scott Fordin
        Message 3 of 18 , Jun 18, 2007
          I'm not sure about automation, but I know that OpenOffice can
          create very nice HTML presentations. In the model I've used for
          quite a number of presentations users simply click a nav bar to
          move forward, backward, or to the slideshow index. Also free.

          Photoshop and Photoshop Elements both also have slide show
          scripts, but those programs cost real money. Finally, you may
          want to consider a video editing program, either standalone,
          like Vegas Studio, Ulead DVD Creator, Premiere Elements, or
          the tools that come with burning packages like Roxio or Nero.

          Scott

          Axel Berger wrote:

          > Mike Breiding wrote:
          > > I am not too crazy about Javascript because of the pop-up
          > > blocking issue.
          >
          > I agree with you. But if that's the case, then maybe you should do the
          > same as me and forego slideshows. The only way to do them without having
          > something active running on your visitors' computers that I can think of
          > are those moving GIFs.
          >
          > Axel

        • Greg Chapman
          Message 4 of 18 , Jun 18, 2007
            Hi Mike,

            On 18 Jun 07 12:37 Mike Breiding <mike@...> said:
            > I have not looked at Irfanview's Slideshow yet. I am not too crazy
            > about Javascript because of the pop-up blocking issue.

            There is only one way you can achieve an automatically advancing
            slideshow in pure HTML, and that involves the <meta
            http-equiv="refresh"> tag. This, of course, has no facility for the
            user to control the show.

            All other methods do require the use of plug-ins, external programs,
            or scriping that users may have turned off or not have installed.

            You appear to know what the issues are!

            I'm afraid it's the old thing of "you pays your money and makes your
            choice!

            Greg
          • Marcelo de Castro Bastos
            Message 5 of 18 , Jun 18, 2007
              On the last exciting episode, aired on 18/6/2007 10:50, Axel Berger
              invited the wrath of the gods by saying:
              > Mike Breiding wrote:
              >
              >> I am not too crazy about Javascript because of the pop-up
              >> blocking issue.
              >>

              > I agree with you. But if that's the case, then maybe you should do the
              > same as me and forego slideshows. The only way to do them without having
              > something active running on your visitors' computers that I can think of
              > are those moving GIFs.

              Well... it is possible using meta redirects. You make a HTML page for
              each picture, and use the "meta refresh" tag to load the next page (with
              the next pic) after a set number of seconds. Only problem is, meta
              redirects are annoying as hell -- and, like Javascript and plugins, are
              frequently disabled by users.

              Marcelo

              -=-=-
              Press <Alt-A> to Adopt Me! I need a better home.
              * TagZilla 0.066 on Seamonkey 1.1.2
            • Mike Breiding
              Message 6 of 18 , Jun 18, 2007
                I considered <meta http-equiv="refresh"> tag as well but as others have
                pointed out this can trigger pop-up alarms as well.
                Pluss, it is rather cumbersome.

                I am about ready to scrap this idea and just use what I normally use:
                http://epicroadtrips.us/2006/spring/Southern_New_Jersey/
                http://epicroadtrips.us/2006/summer/yough_river_cville2dawson/

                Thanks,
                -Mike
                ==========
                At 10:10 AM 6/18/2007 , you wrote:
                >Hi Mike,
                >There is only one way you can achieve an automatically advancing
                >slideshow in pure HTML, and that involves the <meta
                >http-equiv="refresh"> tag. This, of course, has no facility for the
                >user to control the show.
                >Greg

              • Corl DeLuna
                Message 7 of 18 , Jun 18, 2007
                  Hi Mike,

                  I had no idea you had so much more on your site. Woah! Tons of pictures with
                  a lots of interesting background info about each. I think most slide shows
                  would limit the amount of info you like to share. I'd like to point you to a
                  subsection of Stu's site related to image mapping that I think is right up
                  your alley.

                  http://www.cssplay.co.uk/menu/mapper.html
                  http://www.cssplay.co.uk/menu/balloons.html
                  <http://cssplay.co.uk/menu/old_master.html>
                  http://cssplay.co.uk/menu/old_master.html and there is so much more.

                  Your site as it is, is very impressive, but I wouldn't have known about New
                  Jersy without the link in this email. May I suggest more work on your site
                  wide navigation, while keeping it simple like you are already. Maybe taking
                  your FL imagemap idea and showing your whole route traced out for all 13
                  states?

                  Best to you on your HTML road trip,
                  Corl

                  _____