Re: [NH] HTML slide show creators

  • Mike Breiding
    Message 1 of 18 , Jun 18, 2007
      At 01:44 PM 6/17/2007 , you wrote:
      >Have you had a look at Irfanview's Slideshow? It does use Javascript and
      >crossfades. As I said, I don't use it on my site, that's just another
      >example of what can be achieved very simply and easily with Irfanview.
      >It took me a bit of time to fine-tune, but with that done once making
      >another set of thumbnails and slides is done at a drop of a hat.Axel

      I have not looked at Irfanview's Slideshow yet. I am not too crazy about
      Javascript because of the pop-up blocking issue.

      -Mike

    • Dave
      Message 2 of 18 , Jun 18, 2007
        Hi
        Irfanview slideshow can be controlled by the mouse check the options 3.99
        its free.
        THANKYOU DAVE M

        Message 3 of 18 , Jun 18, 2007
          Mike Breiding wrote:
          > I am not too crazy about Javascript because of the pop-up
          > blocking issue.

          I agree with you. But if that's the case, then maybe you should do the
          same as me and forego slideshows. The only way to do them without having
          something active running on your visitors' computers that I can think of
          are those moving GIFs.

          Axel
        • Scott Fordin
          Message 4 of 18 , Jun 18, 2007
            I'm not sure about automation, but I know that OpenOffice can
            create very nice HTML presentations. In the model I've used for
            quite a number of presentations users simply click a nav bar to
            move forward, backward, or to the slideshow index. Also free.

            Photoshop and Photoshop Elements both also have slide show
            scripts, but those programs cost real money. Finally, you may
            want to consider a video editing program, either standalone,
            like Vegas Studio, Ulead DVD Creator, Premiere Elements, or
            the tools that come with burning packages like Roxio or Nero.

            Scott

            Axel Berger wrote:

            > Mike Breiding wrote:
            > > I am not too crazy about Javascript because of the pop-up
            > > blocking issue.
            >
            > I agree with you. But if that's the case, then maybe you should do the
            > same as me and forego slideshows. The only way to do them without having
            > something active running on your visitors' computers that I can think of
            > are those moving GIFs.
            >
            > Axel

          • Greg Chapman
            Message 5 of 18 , Jun 18, 2007
              Hi Mike,

              On 18 Jun 07 12:37 Mike Breiding <mike@...> said:
              > I have not looked at Irfanview's Slideshow yet. I am not too crazy
              > about Javascript because of the pop-up blocking issue.

              There is only one way you can achieve an automatically advancing
              slideshow in pure HTML, and that involves the <meta
              http-equiv="refresh"> tag. This, of course, has no facility for the
              user to control the show.

              All other methods do require the use of plug-ins, external programs,
              or scriping that users may have turned off or not have installed.

              You appear to know what the issues are!

              I'm afraid it's the old thing of "you pays your money and makes your
              choice!

              Greg
            • Marcelo de Castro Bastos
              Message 6 of 18 , Jun 18, 2007
                On the last exciting episode, aired on 18/6/2007 10:50, Axel Berger
                invited the wrath of the gods by saying:
                > Mike Breiding wrote:
                >
                >> I am not too crazy about Javascript because of the pop-up
                >> blocking issue.
                >>

                > I agree with you. But if that's the case, then maybe you should do the
                > same as me and forego slideshows. The only way to do them without having
                > something active running on your visitors' computers that I can think of
                > are those moving GIFs.

                Well... it is possible using meta redirects. You make a HTML page for
                each picture, and use the "meta refresh" tag to load the next page (with
                the next pic) after a set number of seconds. Only problem is, meta
                redirects are annoying as hell -- and, like Javascript and plugins, are
                frequently disabled by users.

                Marcelo

                -=-=-
                Press <Alt-A> to Adopt Me! I need a better home.
                * TagZilla 0.066 on Seamonkey 1.1.2
              • Mike Breiding
                Message 7 of 18 , Jun 18, 2007
                  I considered <meta http-equiv="refresh"> tag as well but as others have
                  pointed out this can trigger pop-up alarms as well.
                  Pluss, it is rather cumbersome.

                  I am about ready to scrap this idea and just use what I normally use:
                  http://epicroadtrips.us/2006/spring/Southern_New_Jersey/
                  http://epicroadtrips.us/2006/summer/yough_river_cville2dawson/

                  Thanks,
                  -Mike
                  ==========
                  At 10:10 AM 6/18/2007 , you wrote:
                  >Hi Mike,
                  >There is only one way you can achieve an automatically advancing
                  >slideshow in pure HTML, and that involves the <meta
                  >http-equiv="refresh"> tag. This, of course, has no facility for the
                  >user to control the show.
                  >Greg

                • Corl DeLuna
                  Message 8 of 18 , Jun 18, 2007
                    Hi Mike,

                    I had no idea you had so much more on your site. Woah! Tons of pictures with
                    a lots of interesting background info about each. I think most slide shows
                    would limit the amount of info you like to share. I'd like to point you to a
                    subsection of Stu's site related to image mapping that I think is right up
                    your alley.

                    http://www.cssplay.co.uk/menu/mapper.html
                    http://www.cssplay.co.uk/menu/balloons.html
                    <http://cssplay.co.uk/menu/old_master.html>
                    http://cssplay.co.uk/menu/old_master.html and there is so much more.

                    Your site as it is, is very impressive, but I wouldn't have known about New
                    Jersy without the link in this email. May I suggest more work on your site
                    wide navigation, while keeping it simple like you are already. Maybe taking
                    your FL imagemap idea and showing your whole route traced out for all 13
                    states?

                    Best to you on your HTML road trip,
                    Corl

                    _____