Re: [NH] HTML slide show creators

    Message 1 of 18 , Jun 17, 2007
      Mike Breiding wrote:
      > I am hoping to find one which is automated as well as having
      > manual control. Perhaps a Javascript is the way to go?

      Have you had a look at Irfanview's Slideshow? It does use Javascript and
      crossfades. As I said, I don't use it on my site, that's just another
      example of what can be achieved very simply and easily with Irfanview.
      It took me a bit of time to fine-tune, but with that done once making
      another set of thumbnails and slides is done at a drop of a hat.

      Axel
    • Mike Breiding
      Message 2 of 18 , Jun 17, 2007
        At 02:09 PM 6/17/2007 , you wrote:
        >Mike,
        > The Javascript I sent you cannot be controlled manually -- like
        > turning it off and on, etc. -- by the user. It is just automatic
        > on-load. That is the only draw-back that I see but it was the best I
        > could come up with.

        Thanks, Kerry!
        -Mike

      • Mike Breiding
        Message 3 of 18 , Jun 18, 2007
          At 01:44 PM 6/17/2007 , you wrote:
          >Have you had a look at Irfanview's Slideshow? It does use Javascript and
          >crossfades. As I said, I don't use it on my site, that's just another
          >example of what can be achieved very simply and easily with Irfanview.
          >It took me a bit of time to fine-tune, but with that done once making
          >another set of thumbnails and slides is done at a drop of a hat.Axel

          I have not looked at Irfanview's Slideshow yet. I am not too crazy about
          Javascript because of the pop-up blocking issue.

          -Mike

        • Dave
          Message 4 of 18 , Jun 18, 2007
            Hi
            Irfanview slideshow can be controlled by the mouse check the options 3.99
            its free.
            THANKYOU DAVE M

            Message 5 of 18 , Jun 18, 2007
              Mike Breiding wrote:
              > I am not too crazy about Javascript because of the pop-up
              > blocking issue.

              I agree with you. But if that's the case, then maybe you should do the
              same as me and forego slideshows. The only way to do them without having
              something active running on your visitors' computers that I can think of
              are those moving GIFs.

              Axel
            • Scott Fordin
              Message 6 of 18 , Jun 18, 2007
                I'm not sure about automation, but I know that OpenOffice can
                create very nice HTML presentations. In the model I've used for
                quite a number of presentations users simply click a nav bar to
                move forward, backward, or to the slideshow index. Also free.

                Photoshop and Photoshop Elements both also have slide show
                scripts, but those programs cost real money. Finally, you may
                want to consider a video editing program, either standalone,
                like Vegas Studio, Ulead DVD Creator, Premiere Elements, or
                the tools that come with burning packages like Roxio or Nero.

                Scott

                Axel Berger wrote:

                > Mike Breiding wrote:
                > > I am not too crazy about Javascript because of the pop-up
                > > blocking issue.
                >
                > I agree with you. But if that's the case, then maybe you should do the
                > same as me and forego slideshows. The only way to do them without having
                > something active running on your visitors' computers that I can think of
                > are those moving GIFs.
                >
                > Axel

              • Greg Chapman
                Message 7 of 18 , Jun 18, 2007
                  Hi Mike,

                  On 18 Jun 07 12:37 Mike Breiding <mike@...> said:
                  > I have not looked at Irfanview's Slideshow yet. I am not too crazy
                  > about Javascript because of the pop-up blocking issue.

                  There is only one way you can achieve an automatically advancing
                  slideshow in pure HTML, and that involves the <meta
                  http-equiv="refresh"> tag. This, of course, has no facility for the
                  user to control the show.

                  All other methods do require the use of plug-ins, external programs,
                  or scriping that users may have turned off or not have installed.

                  You appear to know what the issues are!

                  I'm afraid it's the old thing of "you pays your money and makes your
                  choice!

                  Greg
                • Marcelo de Castro Bastos
                  Message 8 of 18 , Jun 18, 2007
                    On the last exciting episode, aired on 18/6/2007 10:50, Axel Berger
                    invited the wrath of the gods by saying:
                    > Mike Breiding wrote:
                    >
                    >> I am not too crazy about Javascript because of the pop-up
                    >> blocking issue.
                    >>

                    > I agree with you. But if that's the case, then maybe you should do the
                    > same as me and forego slideshows. The only way to do them without having
                    > something active running on your visitors' computers that I can think of
                    > are those moving GIFs.

                    Well... it is possible using meta redirects. You make a HTML page for
                    each picture, and use the "meta refresh" tag to load the next page (with
                    the next pic) after a set number of seconds. Only problem is, meta
                    redirects are annoying as hell -- and, like Javascript and plugins, are
                    frequently disabled by users.

                    Marcelo

                    -=-=-
                    Press <Alt-A> to Adopt Me! I need a better home.
                    * TagZilla 0.066 on Seamonkey 1.1.2
                  • Mike Breiding
                    Message 9 of 18 , Jun 18, 2007
                      I considered <meta http-equiv="refresh"> tag as well but as others have
                      pointed out this can trigger pop-up alarms as well.
                      Pluss, it is rather cumbersome.

                      I am about ready to scrap this idea and just use what I normally use:
                      http://epicroadtrips.us/2006/spring/Southern_New_Jersey/
                      http://epicroadtrips.us/2006/summer/yough_river_cville2dawson/

                      Thanks,
                      -Mike
                      ==========
                      At 10:10 AM 6/18/2007 , you wrote:
                      >Hi Mike,
                      >There is only one way you can achieve an automatically advancing
                      >slideshow in pure HTML, and that involves the <meta
                      >http-equiv="refresh"> tag. This, of course, has no facility for the
                      >user to control the show.
                      >Greg

                    • Corl DeLuna
                      Message 10 of 18 , Jun 18, 2007
                        Hi Mike,

                        I had no idea you had so much more on your site. Woah! Tons of pictures with
                        a lots of interesting background info about each. I think most slide shows
                        would limit the amount of info you like to share. I'd like to point you to a
                        subsection of Stu's site related to image mapping that I think is right up
                        your alley.

                        http://www.cssplay.co.uk/menu/mapper.html
                        http://www.cssplay.co.uk/menu/balloons.html
                        <http://cssplay.co.uk/menu/old_master.html>
                        http://cssplay.co.uk/menu/old_master.html and there is so much more.

                        Your site as it is, is very impressive, but I wouldn't have known about New
                        Jersy without the link in this email. May I suggest more work on your site
                        wide navigation, while keeping it simple like you are already. Maybe taking
                        your FL imagemap idea and showing your whole route traced out for all 13
                        states?

                        Best to you on your HTML road trip,
                        Corl

                        _____