RE: [NH] HTML slide show creators

  • Mike Breiding
    Message 1 of 13 , Jun 17, 2007
      Pardon the top post!

      Corl,
      Thanks for the kind words about my
      <http://epicroadtrips.us/2006/winter/>image map.

      I loved theSan Jose Mercury News Soundslides but I am concerned about
      bandwidth and right now I am needing to keep it simple.

      This javascript slide show with captions:
      http://www.codelifter.com/main/javascript/slideshow3.html
      looks promising but it triggers the pop-up blocker in IE 6. This could be a
      roadblock to viewing by some.

      Thanks again!
      -Mike
      ============

    • sisterscape
      Message 2 of 13 , Jun 17, 2007
        --- Mike Breiding <mike@...> wrote:

        > At 12:49 PM 6/17/2007 , you wrote:
        > >try this one Mike. It looks like it costs but I can't find out where
        > >to pay except to donate.
        > >http://www.flash-slideshow-maker.com/
        > >Hope this helps.Doug Offen
        >
        > Hi Doug,
        > I am hoping to avoid Macromedia Flash file format ( SWF ) which
        > requires
        > the plug-in.
        >
        > Thanks,
        > -Mike

        Agreed. For those of us who don't have or want flash installed, it is
        a show-stopper.

        Please take a look at the galleries posted here:

        http://www.groundtruthinvestigations.org/photography.html

        and here:

        http://www.waterstonewildlife.org/galleries.html

        It is an old php script that is no longer available that is added as an
        include in your html. I could send it to you if you like.

        It requires some fiddling to get it customized. There is a very basic
        GUI to add captions etc but I usually bypass it and work directly on
        the files.

        Sister

        http://mobile.yahoo.com/go?refer=1GNXIC
      • Corl DeLuna
        Message 3 of 13 , Jun 17, 2007
          Hi Mike,

          Your imagemap is simply a brilliant way of graphically organizing your
          trips, so I'm not being kind.

          As Flash soundslides are set to stream, but I really don't have a way to
          test how they'd play on a lower bandwidth internet connection. I make
          websites for CD-ROM so this is not an issue for me.

          Have you looked at all the CSS solutions for photo galleries offered by Stu
          Nicholls? I think he's achieved amazing results without JS. See the demos on
          the left http://cssplay.co.uk/menu/ I prefer CSS to JavaScript every time,
          due to security issues, and I'm not a programmer. The one you found was
          pretty nifty, but as you said it triggers the pop-up blocker.

          I hope you find something that works for you,
          Corl

          Message 4 of 13 , Jun 17, 2007
            sisterscape wrote:
            > Agreed. For those of us who don't have or want flash installed,
            > it is a show-stopper.

            I have it installed actually, but loads of utter nutcases use Javascript
            to check if I have, and that of course is strictly off limits here.
            There are even idiots around, who use Javascript to check if I allow
            cookies.

            Axel
          • Mike Breiding
            Message 5 of 13 , Jun 18, 2007
              Stu Nicholls' site is amazing and I may try to incorporate one of his CSS
              layouts for slides.
              Thanks for the ideas!

              -Mike
              ============
              At 04:43 PM 6/17/2007 , you wrote:
              >Hi Mike,
              >Your imagemap is simply a brilliant way of graphically organizing your
              >trips, so I'm not being kind.
              >
              >As Flash soundslides are set to stream, but I really don't have a way to
              >test how they'd play on a lower bandwidth internet connection. I make
              >websites for CD-ROM so this is not an issue for me.
              >
              >Have you looked at all the CSS solutions for photo galleries offered by Stu
              >Nicholls? I think he's achieved amazing results without JS. See the demos on
              >the left http://cssplay.co.uk/menu/ I prefer CSS to JavaScript every time,
              >due to security issues, and I'm not a programmer. The one you found was
              >pretty nifty, but as you said it triggers the pop-up blocker.
              >
              >I hope you find something that works for you,
              >Corl
              >

              >========
              >Corl,
              >Thanks for the kind words about my
              ><http://epicroadtrips.us/2006/winter/>image map.
              >
              >I loved theSan Jose Mercury News Soundslides but I am concerned about
              >bandwidth and right now I am needing to keep it simple.
              >
              >This javascript slide show with captions:
              >http://www.codelifter.com/main/javascript/slideshow3.html
              >looks promising but it triggers the pop-up blocker in IE 6. This could be a
              >roadblock to viewing by some.

            • Alec Burgess
              Message 6 of 13 , Jun 18, 2007
                Hi Mike - this thread sure sparked a lot of replies. Just wanted to suggest
                one of Eric Fookes own programs for this task.

                Easy Imager <http://www.fookes.com/ezimager/index.php> One of many options
                this program provides is generation of Slide shows. It DOES use a simple
                javascript file scripts.js to handle the transitions from one picture to
                next and selection of speed.

                If you are at all handy with HTM, by tweaking the templates ( in Templates
                folder within the Program Files folder) you can make the display look like
                just about anything you like if non of the provided styles meets your needs.

                Not free ($34.95) but has Fookes usual 30-day trial. If you're not convinced
                its worth the price you COULD just generate a couple of samples, look at the
                HTML that gets generated and then use some fairly simple clips to modify
                your sample without even using Easy Imager again after the trial is over. If
                you like what it generates you might want to get a licensed copy though :-)

                --
                Regards ... Alec

              • Mike Breiding - Morgantown WV
                Message 7 of 13 , Jun 28, 2007
                  About 10 day s ago I sent an email wanting info on slide shows.
                  I received a message back about voice over slide shows and a link to a new
                  paper site which showcased the history of a town in California.

                  I can't locate these emails.
                  Would whoever sent them be kind enough to resend?

                  Thanks,
                  -Mike

                  ----------
                  Check it out: