RE: [NH] HTML slide show creators

  • Corl DeLuna
    Message 1 of 13 , Jun 17, 2007
      Hi Mike, I love the imagemap on your road trip site.

      I've been captivated with Soundslides lately, here is an example produced by
      the San Jose Mercury News
      http://www.mercurynewsphoto.com/2006/11/10/where-we-live-3/ (click on the
      captions to see them or hide them).

      I love this soundslide presentation
      http://www.fabianmohr.de/iso800/soundslides/cinqueterre/

      Many, many more... http://www2.soundslides.com/forum/viewforum.php?id=12

      The beauty of the Soundslides is that they aren't technically difficult to
      make, one person can easily do it with minimal technical skill. See this 4
      minute tutorial to see how easy it really is
      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sst1IiD6iGY

      Another Tutorial http://www.multimediashooter.com/wp/?p=164

      All you need to do is focus on creating an interesting short story with
      photos and audio. Or maybe you set your stories to music.
      http://soundslides.com/

      See: Soundslides and The Rise Of The Audio Slideshow
      http://www.robgalbraith.com/bins/multi_page.asp?cid=7-7899-8616
      Great interview with journalist using Soundslides, lots of tips and
      insights.

      Multimediashooter has tons of usful links, such as for software that adjusts
      the audio levels of your audio file for variations from one speaker to the
      next http://www.gigavox.com/levelator

      Here's to more great road trips!
      Corl

      PS - You wrote: I am hoping to avoid Macromedia Flash file format (SWF)
      which requires
      the plug-in.

      Soundslides does require at least the Flash 7 plug-in which has at 98.1%
      worldwide install base
      http://www.adobe.com/products/player_census/flashplayer/version_penetration.
      html

      and is supported on PC, Mac, and Linux
      http://www.adobe.com/products/flashplayer/productinfo/systemreqs/flashplayer
      7/

      ________________________________

      Message 2 of 13 , Jun 17, 2007
        Pardon the top post!

        Corl,
        Thanks for the kind words about my
        <http://epicroadtrips.us/2006/winter/>image map.

        I loved theSan Jose Mercury News Soundslides but I am concerned about
        bandwidth and right now I am needing to keep it simple.

        This javascript slide show with captions:
        http://www.codelifter.com/main/javascript/slideshow3.html
        looks promising but it triggers the pop-up blocker in IE 6. This could be a
        roadblock to viewing by some.

        Thanks again!
        -Mike
        ============

      • sisterscape
        Message 3 of 13 , Jun 17, 2007
          --- Mike Breiding <mike@...> wrote:

          > At 12:49 PM 6/17/2007 , you wrote:
          > >try this one Mike. It looks like it costs but I can't find out where
          > >to pay except to donate.
          > >http://www.flash-slideshow-maker.com/
          > >Hope this helps.Doug Offen
          >
          > Hi Doug,
          > I am hoping to avoid Macromedia Flash file format ( SWF ) which
          > requires
          > the plug-in.
          >
          > Thanks,
          > -Mike

          Agreed. For those of us who don't have or want flash installed, it is
          a show-stopper.

          Please take a look at the galleries posted here:

          http://www.groundtruthinvestigations.org/photography.html

          and here:

          http://www.waterstonewildlife.org/galleries.html

          It is an old php script that is no longer available that is added as an
          include in your html. I could send it to you if you like.

          It requires some fiddling to get it customized. There is a very basic
          GUI to add captions etc but I usually bypass it and work directly on
          the files.

          Sister

          http://mobile.yahoo.com/go?refer=1GNXIC
        • Corl DeLuna
          Message 4 of 13 , Jun 17, 2007
            Hi Mike,

            Your imagemap is simply a brilliant way of graphically organizing your
            trips, so I'm not being kind.

            As Flash soundslides are set to stream, but I really don't have a way to
            test how they'd play on a lower bandwidth internet connection. I make
            websites for CD-ROM so this is not an issue for me.

            Have you looked at all the CSS solutions for photo galleries offered by Stu
            Nicholls? I think he's achieved amazing results without JS. See the demos on
            the left http://cssplay.co.uk/menu/ I prefer CSS to JavaScript every time,
            due to security issues, and I'm not a programmer. The one you found was
            pretty nifty, but as you said it triggers the pop-up blocker.

            I hope you find something that works for you,
            Corl

            Message 5 of 13 , Jun 17, 2007
              sisterscape wrote:
              > Agreed. For those of us who don't have or want flash installed,
              > it is a show-stopper.

              I have it installed actually, but loads of utter nutcases use Javascript
              to check if I have, and that of course is strictly off limits here.
              There are even idiots around, who use Javascript to check if I allow
              cookies.

              Axel
            • Mike Breiding
              Message 6 of 13 , Jun 18, 2007
                Stu Nicholls' site is amazing and I may try to incorporate one of his CSS
                layouts for slides.
                Thanks for the ideas!

                -Mike
                ============
                At 04:43 PM 6/17/2007 , you wrote:
                >Hi Mike,
                >Your imagemap is simply a brilliant way of graphically organizing your
                >trips, so I'm not being kind.
                >
                >As Flash soundslides are set to stream, but I really don't have a way to
                >test how they'd play on a lower bandwidth internet connection. I make
                >websites for CD-ROM so this is not an issue for me.
                >
                >Have you looked at all the CSS solutions for photo galleries offered by Stu
                >Nicholls? I think he's achieved amazing results without JS. See the demos on
                >the left http://cssplay.co.uk/menu/ I prefer CSS to JavaScript every time,
                >due to security issues, and I'm not a programmer. The one you found was
                >pretty nifty, but as you said it triggers the pop-up blocker.
                >
                >I hope you find something that works for you,
                >Corl
                >

                >========
                >Corl,
                >Thanks for the kind words about my
                ><http://epicroadtrips.us/2006/winter/>image map.
                >
                >I loved theSan Jose Mercury News Soundslides but I am concerned about
                >bandwidth and right now I am needing to keep it simple.
                >
                >This javascript slide show with captions:
                >http://www.codelifter.com/main/javascript/slideshow3.html
                >looks promising but it triggers the pop-up blocker in IE 6. This could be a
                >roadblock to viewing by some.

              • Alec Burgess
                Message 7 of 13 , Jun 18, 2007
                  Hi Mike - this thread sure sparked a lot of replies. Just wanted to suggest
                  one of Eric Fookes own programs for this task.

                  Easy Imager <http://www.fookes.com/ezimager/index.php> One of many options
                  this program provides is generation of Slide shows. It DOES use a simple
                  javascript file scripts.js to handle the transitions from one picture to
                  next and selection of speed.

                  If you are at all handy with HTM, by tweaking the templates ( in Templates
                  folder within the Program Files folder) you can make the display look like
                  just about anything you like if non of the provided styles meets your needs.

                  Not free ($34.95) but has Fookes usual 30-day trial. If you're not convinced
                  its worth the price you COULD just generate a couple of samples, look at the
                  HTML that gets generated and then use some fairly simple clips to modify
                  your sample without even using Easy Imager again after the trial is over. If
                  you like what it generates you might want to get a licensed copy though :-)

                  --
                  Regards ... Alec

                • Mike Breiding - Morgantown WV
                  Message 8 of 13 , Jun 28, 2007
                    About 10 day s ago I sent an email wanting info on slide shows.
                    I received a message back about voice over slide shows and a link to a new
                    paper site which showcased the history of a town in California.

                    I can't locate these emails.
                    Would whoever sent them be kind enough to resend?

                    Thanks,
                    -Mike

                    ----------
                    Check it out: