HTML slide show creators

  • Mike Breiding - Morgantown WV
    Message 1 of 13 , Jun 17, 2007
      Greetings,
      Anyone have suggestion for a simple on-line slide show creator?
      I need only the ability to build the slow, not storage, hosting or
      uploading abilities.
      My preference if for on which show thumbs in a row at the bottom and had
      both manual and automated shows with variable view times.
      I tried the MS PowerToys slide show but could not get it to work in
      advanced mode.
      There are quite a few out there so I hope some of you all have tried one or
      two and can let me know what you think.

      Thanks,
      -mike

      ----------
      Check it out:
      www.EpicRoadTrips.us

      ~~~

      ~~~
    • Doug Offen
      Message 2 of 13 , Jun 17, 2007
        try this one Mike. It looks like it costs but I can't find out where
        to pay except to donate.

        http://www.flash-slideshow-maker.com/

        Hope this helps.

        Doug Offen
        http://www.travelonly.com/ued Full online Canadian Travel Services
        with a personal touch

      • Mike Breiding
        Message 3 of 13 , Jun 17, 2007
          At 12:49 PM 6/17/2007 , you wrote:
          >try this one Mike. It looks like it costs but I can't find out where
          >to pay except to donate.
          >http://www.flash-slideshow-maker.com/
          >Hope this helps.Doug Offen

          Hi Doug,
          I am hoping to avoid Macromedia Flash file format ( SWF ) which requires
          the plug-in.

          Thanks,
          -Mike

        • Corl DeLuna
          Message 4 of 13 , Jun 17, 2007
            Hi Mike, I love the imagemap on your road trip site.

            I've been captivated with Soundslides lately, here is an example produced by
            the San Jose Mercury News
            http://www.mercurynewsphoto.com/2006/11/10/where-we-live-3/ (click on the
            captions to see them or hide them).

            I love this soundslide presentation
            http://www.fabianmohr.de/iso800/soundslides/cinqueterre/

            Many, many more... http://www2.soundslides.com/forum/viewforum.php?id=12

            The beauty of the Soundslides is that they aren't technically difficult to
            make, one person can easily do it with minimal technical skill. See this 4
            minute tutorial to see how easy it really is
            http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sst1IiD6iGY

            Another Tutorial http://www.multimediashooter.com/wp/?p=164

            All you need to do is focus on creating an interesting short story with
            photos and audio. Or maybe you set your stories to music.
            http://soundslides.com/

            See: Soundslides and The Rise Of The Audio Slideshow
            http://www.robgalbraith.com/bins/multi_page.asp?cid=7-7899-8616
            Great interview with journalist using Soundslides, lots of tips and
            insights.

            Multimediashooter has tons of usful links, such as for software that adjusts
            the audio levels of your audio file for variations from one speaker to the
            next http://www.gigavox.com/levelator

            Here's to more great road trips!
            Corl

            PS - You wrote: I am hoping to avoid Macromedia Flash file format (SWF)
            which requires
            the plug-in.

            Soundslides does require at least the Flash 7 plug-in which has at 98.1%
            worldwide install base
            http://www.adobe.com/products/player_census/flashplayer/version_penetration.
            html

            and is supported on PC, Mac, and Linux
            http://www.adobe.com/products/flashplayer/productinfo/systemreqs/flashplayer
            7/

            ________________________________

            Message 5 of 13 , Jun 17, 2007
              Pardon the top post!

              Corl,
              Thanks for the kind words about my
              <http://epicroadtrips.us/2006/winter/>image map.

              I loved theSan Jose Mercury News Soundslides but I am concerned about
              bandwidth and right now I am needing to keep it simple.

              This javascript slide show with captions:
              http://www.codelifter.com/main/javascript/slideshow3.html
              looks promising but it triggers the pop-up blocker in IE 6. This could be a
              roadblock to viewing by some.

              Thanks again!
              -Mike
              ============

            • sisterscape
              Message 6 of 13 , Jun 17, 2007
                --- Mike Breiding <mike@...> wrote:

                > At 12:49 PM 6/17/2007 , you wrote:
                > >try this one Mike. It looks like it costs but I can't find out where
                > >to pay except to donate.
                > >http://www.flash-slideshow-maker.com/
                > >Hope this helps.Doug Offen
                >
                > Hi Doug,
                > I am hoping to avoid Macromedia Flash file format ( SWF ) which
                > requires
                > the plug-in.
                >
                > Thanks,
                > -Mike

                Agreed. For those of us who don't have or want flash installed, it is
                a show-stopper.

                Please take a look at the galleries posted here:

                http://www.groundtruthinvestigations.org/photography.html

                and here:

                http://www.waterstonewildlife.org/galleries.html

                It is an old php script that is no longer available that is added as an
                include in your html. I could send it to you if you like.

                It requires some fiddling to get it customized. There is a very basic
                GUI to add captions etc but I usually bypass it and work directly on
                the files.

                Sister

                http://mobile.yahoo.com/go?refer=1GNXIC
              • Corl DeLuna
                Message 7 of 13 , Jun 17, 2007
                  Hi Mike,

                  Your imagemap is simply a brilliant way of graphically organizing your
                  trips, so I'm not being kind.

                  As Flash soundslides are set to stream, but I really don't have a way to
                  test how they'd play on a lower bandwidth internet connection. I make
                  websites for CD-ROM so this is not an issue for me.

                  Have you looked at all the CSS solutions for photo galleries offered by Stu
                  Nicholls? I think he's achieved amazing results without JS. See the demos on
                  the left http://cssplay.co.uk/menu/ I prefer CSS to JavaScript every time,
                  due to security issues, and I'm not a programmer. The one you found was
                  pretty nifty, but as you said it triggers the pop-up blocker.

                  I hope you find something that works for you,
                  Corl

                  Message 8 of 13 , Jun 17, 2007
                    sisterscape wrote:
                    > Agreed. For those of us who don't have or want flash installed,
                    > it is a show-stopper.

                    I have it installed actually, but loads of utter nutcases use Javascript
                    to check if I have, and that of course is strictly off limits here.
                    There are even idiots around, who use Javascript to check if I allow
                    cookies.

                    Axel
                  • Mike Breiding
                    Message 9 of 13 , Jun 18, 2007
                      Stu Nicholls' site is amazing and I may try to incorporate one of his CSS
                      layouts for slides.
                      Thanks for the ideas!

                      -Mike
                      ============
                      At 04:43 PM 6/17/2007 , you wrote:
                      >Hi Mike,
                      >Your imagemap is simply a brilliant way of graphically organizing your
                      >trips, so I'm not being kind.
                      >
                      >As Flash soundslides are set to stream, but I really don't have a way to
                      >test how they'd play on a lower bandwidth internet connection. I make
                      >websites for CD-ROM so this is not an issue for me.
                      >
                      >Have you looked at all the CSS solutions for photo galleries offered by Stu
                      >Nicholls? I think he's achieved amazing results without JS. See the demos on
                      >the left http://cssplay.co.uk/menu/ I prefer CSS to JavaScript every time,
                      >due to security issues, and I'm not a programmer. The one you found was
                      >pretty nifty, but as you said it triggers the pop-up blocker.
                      >
                      >I hope you find something that works for you,
                      >Corl
                      >

                      >========
                      >Corl,
                      >Thanks for the kind words about my
                      ><http://epicroadtrips.us/2006/winter/>image map.
                      >
                      >I loved theSan Jose Mercury News Soundslides but I am concerned about
                      >bandwidth and right now I am needing to keep it simple.
                      >
                      >This javascript slide show with captions:
                      >http://www.codelifter.com/main/javascript/slideshow3.html
                      >looks promising but it triggers the pop-up blocker in IE 6. This could be a
                      >roadblock to viewing by some.

                    • Alec Burgess
                      Message 10 of 13 , Jun 18, 2007
                        Hi Mike - this thread sure sparked a lot of replies. Just wanted to suggest
                        one of Eric Fookes own programs for this task.

                        Easy Imager <http://www.fookes.com/ezimager/index.php> One of many options
                        this program provides is generation of Slide shows. It DOES use a simple
                        javascript file scripts.js to handle the transitions from one picture to
                        next and selection of speed.

                        If you are at all handy with HTM, by tweaking the templates ( in Templates
                        folder within the Program Files folder) you can make the display look like
                        just about anything you like if non of the provided styles meets your needs.

                        Not free ($34.95) but has Fookes usual 30-day trial. If you're not convinced
                        its worth the price you COULD just generate a couple of samples, look at the
                        HTML that gets generated and then use some fairly simple clips to modify
                        your sample without even using Easy Imager again after the trial is over. If
                        you like what it generates you might want to get a licensed copy though :-)

                        --
                        Regards ... Alec

                      • Mike Breiding - Morgantown WV
                        Message 11 of 13 , Jun 28, 2007
                          About 10 day s ago I sent an email wanting info on slide shows.
                          I received a message back about voice over slide shows and a link to a new
                          paper site which showcased the history of a town in California.

                          I can't locate these emails.
                          Would whoever sent them be kind enough to resend?

                          Thanks,
                          -Mike

                          ----------
                          Check it out: