Tables

    Message 1 of 5 , May 26, 2007
      Before HTML I often arranged data in a table with internal lines but
      without a border, like this:

      Children | male | female
      ---------+------+-------
      blonde | 5 | 7
      ---------+------+-------
      redhead | 3 | 6

      with perhaps the top and the leftmost line double. This was even easy in
      DOS with the 437 charset, but it seems I can't do that in HTML. Or is
      there a way?

      Axel
    • Marcelo de Castro Bastos
      Message 2 of 5 , May 26, 2007
        On the last exciting episode, aired on 26/5/2007 10:44, Axel Berger
        invited the wrath of the gods by saying:
        > Before HTML I often arranged data in a table with internal lines but
        > without a border, like this:
        >
        > Children | male | female
        > ---------+------+-------
        > blonde | 5 | 7
        > ---------+------+-------
        > redhead | 3 | 6
        >
        > with perhaps the top and the leftmost line double. This was even easy in
        > DOS with the 437 charset, but it seems I can't do that in HTML. Or is
        > there a way?

        Of course there is. You can style the table borders any way you want
        using CSS, including with no borders.

        Marcelo

        -=-=-
        Those who can, do. Those who can't, troll. - Darlene Cypser (on Usenet
        and message board trolls)
        * TagZilla 0.066 on Seamonkey 1.1.1
      • Cary Driscoll
        Message 3 of 5 , May 26, 2007
          There are various ways you could do this. Here is one:

          cellpadding="0">
          <th>Children</th>
          <th scope="col">male</th>
          <th scope="col">female</th>
          <th scope="row">blonde</th>
          <th scope="row">redhead</th>

          Here's some more info about table frames and rules:
          http://www.ironspider.ca/tables/framesrules.htm

          CSS can be used for more complicated styling.

          > Before HTML I often arranged data in a table with internal lines but
          > without a border, like this:
          >
          > Children | male | female
          > ---------+------+-------
          > blonde | 5 | 7
          > ---------+------+-------
          > redhead | 3 | 6
          >
          > with perhaps the top and the leftmost line double. This was even easy in
          > DOS with the 437 charset, but it seems I can't do that in HTML. Or is
          > there a way?
          >
          > Axel
        • frank
          Message 4 of 5 , May 27, 2007
            hi axel,

            use a fixed-width font in HTML to duplicate the result you achieved in
            the past. then your text will line up the way it does in NoteTab Pro,
            and your dashes and plusses will too. try:

            http://www.cfcl.com/vlb/h/fontmono.html

            for some more ideas...

            regards,

            tf
            http://www.thefrank.com
            http://www.icosagame.com
            Message 5 of 5 , May 27, 2007
              Cary Driscoll wrote:
              > There are various ways you could do this. Here is one:

              Thanks. Somehow I always overlooked frames and rules in my manuals.
              Maybe because I didn't expect them there and only looked in CSS. I'd
              still prefer that. Is there something else I overlooked?

              Danke