Jim Hall, A Dear Friend....

  • LaurieK
    Message 1 of 3 , May 14, 2007
      Dear Groups...

      I would be remiss if I did not say the following, (Thanks Loro for handling this as well). Jim made me promise some months ago that, when the time came, would I please notify the group of his passing.

      He emailed me last night to inform me it was time...unfotunately I am dealing with a personal family loss which took place last evening as well, so I did not catch the email until now.

      Jim Hall was an EXTRAORDINARY Man... you may not all know him if you are newer to the group but he has been here watching all along. When I first started using NoteTab, clips were a mystery to me. He tried as he might to help me, even created a Yahoo News Group dedicated to helping newbie clip writers. I'm not a programmer, he tried! :) Chuckled with me often too :)

      Although I never met him in person, he has been a constant in my life... I cannot express enough how much you will be MISSED, Jim. He has been there for me and for others for many years.

      We were in a very small beta testing group for many years as well, you other members, you know who you are.. and always there with helpful input on how to tweak and make things better. I grieve so hard today you have no idea.....Oh my God...

      Prayers go out to your wife and family.... good bye my friend, no more pain... you lived life and were at peace with all that has happened to you... may God and the saints take real good care of you... see you in the future, I hope.

      Please, take a moment... he was truly at peace, he had tied up ALL of his loose ends, he was ready... I promise you he attitude was fantastic to the end...

      For NoteTab, for Insight, 2007 has taken great people from us....

      Jim, Rest In Peace m'dear friend!
      Maybe Jody was there to greet him.... :)

      I bid you farewell, Jim.

      Laurie
      Oh my......

    • Alan
      Message 2 of 3 , May 15, 2007
        Thanks Laurie and Lotta.

        Jim deserves fifty or more different Yahoo Groups. But I didn't know which
        other 43 plus groups to send this to. So, I send this to these here 7
        groups. Hopefully the thought that he is so deserving is what counts.

        Goodness, it was only near two or three weeks ago that Jim and I (email) were
        speaking programming and program design. (he'd informed me then that his time
        was getting short).

        We hadn't formerly emailed each other off list that much if at all. But,
        somehow, Jim and I struck up this chord about programming.

        And . . .

        I had spoke from my Perl programming experience and that my skill level in
        Perl is near intermediate and that I wanted to fill in some gaps in my
        knowlege and then make break throughs into yet even more advanced with my
        Perl skills.

        Somehow, I'm still uncertain exactly as to how, but, nonetheless, those email
        conversations left me with a greater insight into the specifics of exactly
        what my target lessons now needs to be in order for me to go where I want to
        go with my Perl programming skills.

        IOW I got tuned in or dialed in better about the needed specifics in order for
        me to proceed forward and in turn then achieve my goal.

        Thank you Jim. (I also told him so, thank you, via email at the time that this
        happened).

        I think Jim's definition of Object Oriented programming had something to do
        with this. He has his own definition of what this (Object Oriented)
        programming is. And, it's right on (for the most part). And it's a real
        down to earth and a simple and easily understood definition.

        I'm about to target myself for some more Object oriented programming lessons
        in Perl. I need to know more in that I need a greater ability to tap into
        pre existing power. Sometimes I succeed and can tap into it. But not under
        all circumstances. I just need greater familiarity. Modules equate to my
        term of pre existing power. Often, an freely available Perl object oriented
        module has the power to do thus and such 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, and 7. Perhaps I
        can succeed at tap into and use 2 and 5. But I also need to tap into and use
        3 and 7 and I fail.

        Once I understand *all* of the underlying mechanics or mechanisms of Perl
        Object Oriented then I should be able to do whatever I want successfully.

        Getting back to Jim, I discovered that he'd programmed in many languages. He
        had the capability to program or author any sort of software that he wanted
        to. And he had done so many times in years gone by.

        But, today, he said he dislikes coding (programming or authoring or writing
        code). But that he'd rather design a program and then contract someone to
        write the code to fullfill his design specs.

        Jim I'm jealous (is it ok to be jealous) or, another way to put it, I
        certainly at the very least am admirable of Jim's achievements in the
        computer science (especially programming) arena.

        I struggle with where I'm at with my Perl skills. I mastered the Notetab
        clips. And I did a little bit of Qbasic prior to my learning Notetab Clip.
        And I've done a slight little bit of programming the bash shell in Linux.
        Oh, and a very very teeny bit of batch file language on Microsoft.

        Of those, I'd say Perl is the heavy weight (the power of what it can do), an
        programming language. But Perl is a high level language.

        (I've never done) Jim did low level languages such as assembler. These are
        way more involved, much more so than high level language. (I wonder if I'll
        ever master the high level Perl language).

        Assembler is down at the hardware, about the lowest language there is.

        Jim also did high level languages.

        But Jim just always acted like he's no different than me.

        Though he owned what I think are talents that perhaps even not all of us even
        have the ability to attain, he acted with me like he's got nothing special,
        he just studied and worked hard. That's all.

        Well, I think it's not all. I study and work hard and I creep (like as in
        very slow) to progress/raise my Perl skill level. So slow at a high level
        language it makes me wonder if I could ever even do a low level language like
        assembler.

        (I lacks a transition right here. *Jumps* awkwardly into the next)

        The word "grace" comes to my mind. I just looked it up at online dictionary:

        1. The exercise of love, kindness, mercy, favor; disposition
        to benefit or serve another; favor bestowed or privilege
        conferred.
        [1913 Webster]
        --

        Somehow I came away from email conversation with Jim with something positive,
        privilege conferred or etc. I came away, as mentioned, more dialed in or

        To be a part of the steering committee is perhaps one of the greatest
        blessings that there is.

        Thanks Jim for whatever you did (Just being Jim, I think) that an offshoot of
        this is that my own guidance or direction that I need to pursue is affected
        in a positive way.

        Alan.

        On Monday 14 May 2007 09:48, LaurieK wrote:
        > Dear Groups...
        >
        > I would be remiss if I did not say the following, (Thanks Loro for handling
        > this as well). Jim made me promise some months ago that, when the time
        > came, would I please notify the group of his passing.
        >
        > He emailed me last night to inform me it was time...unfotunately I am
        > dealing with a personal family loss which took place last evening as well,
        > so I did not catch the email until now.
        >
        > Jim Hall was an EXTRAORDINARY Man... you may not all know him if you are
        > newer to the group but he has been here watching all along. When I first
        > started using NoteTab, clips were a mystery to me. He tried as he might to
        > help me, even created a Yahoo News Group dedicated to helping newbie clip
        > writers. I'm not a programmer, he tried! :) Chuckled with me often too
        > :)
        >
        > Although I never met him in person, he has been a constant in my life... I
        > cannot express enough how much you will be MISSED, Jim. He has been there
        > for me and for others for many years.
        >
        > We were in a very small beta testing group for many years as well, you
        > other members, you know who you are.. and always there with helpful input
        > on how to tweak and make things better. I grieve so hard today you have
        > no idea.....Oh my God...
        >
        > Prayers go out to your wife and family.... good bye my friend, no more
        > pain... you lived life and were at peace with all that has happened to
        > you... may God and the saints take real good care of you... see you in the
        > future, I hope.
        >
        > Please, take a moment... he was truly at peace, he had tied up ALL of his
        > loose ends, he was ready... I promise you he attitude was fantastic to the
        > end...
        >
        > For NoteTab, for Insight, 2007 has taken great people from us....
        >
        > Jim, Rest In Peace m'dear friend!
        > Maybe Jody was there to greet him.... :)
        >
        > I bid you farewell, Jim.
        >
        > Laurie
        > Oh my......

      • gkluther
        Message 3 of 3 , May 15, 2007
          I didn't know Jim Hall, but I am sure I must have benefited from from his
          help early on when I first discovered NoteTab. I remember Jody was a big
          help, and yes, I tried my hand at clips. So I am sure I benefited from Jim
          as well. I am appreciative of those who help all of us newbies. Serving
          others is still the biggest thrill. May the sweet mercies of the Lord be
          with both families.

          Laurie mentioned Insight and I went to the Fookes site to see what Insight
          was. I didn't find it but am now curious to see what Insight was and what
          the relationship to Jim was.

          Thanks and sympathies.

          --
          "Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not
          sure about the former." - Albert Einstein

          "Where lipstick is concerned, the important thing is not color, but to
          accept God's final word on where your lips end." - Jerry Seinfeld