Re: [NH] Re: [NTB] Clip on File->Save?

  • Richard S. Smith
    Message 1 of 6 , Aug 1, 2000
      Grant, that's a clever and elegant solution. Thanks. Unfortunately
      it won't work for me because I have to support multiple browsers
      including Lynx, so relying upon JavaScript behavior is a non-starter.

      So, I'm back to my original question, which is, can I "hook" a menu
      event like File->Save and "bind" a Clip to it? It's looking more and
      more like the answer is "No", so I guess I'll just write the Clip to
      do the text substitution and then instruct my users to manually run
      the clip when they need to save.

      I'm a tad disappointed that I can't make it into a passive, automated
      process, though. I guess I'm spoiled by Emacs, which allows you to
      bind code just about anywhere. But if NT-Emacs weren't so unfriendly
      to novice users, I wouldn't be using NoteTab, now would I? :-)

      Thanks again for the help.

      emerge@... (Grant) wrote:
      > Richard said
      > > Sorry if this is a question for the clips list or the HTML list, but
      > > I'm a new NoteTab user and I have what I hope is a simple question.
      > >
      > > When I edit an HTML file, the standard format for my site is that the
      > > last line before the </body></html> tags is a "Last modified:" line
      > > with the current date. My question is, can I (with clips or any other
      > > way) set things up so that when I save the file, the date gets
      > > automatically updated?
      >
      > Open the html doc in Notetab
      > Run this clip once only.
      > It will insert A simple piece of javascript that will do the trick.
      >
      > H=lastModified
      > ^!Find "</body" CIWS
      > ^!Jump SELECT_START
      > ^%NL%<script language="javascript" type="text/javascript">
      > </script>^%NL%
      > ^!Save

      Richard S. Smith / Email: rss@... / Web: http://www.idiom.com/~rss
    • Larry Hamilton
      Message 2 of 6 , Aug 1, 2000
        Hi Richard,

        On Tue, 1 Aug 2000 02:30:46 -0700, ntb-html@egroups.com wrote:
        >Grant, that's a clever and elegant solution. Thanks. Unfortunately
        >it won't work for me because I have to support multiple browsers
        >including Lynx, so relying upon JavaScript behavior is a
        non-starter.

        Here are two clips I use. One I made to change the last updated date
        for all open documents, you may need to tweak for the way you need it
        to work. The other clip is for updating only one document. If it is a
        new document, you can use a template with the code, or use the HTML
        clip library, which includes that information.

        If you are only saving the date, you could create a clip library with
        an on Open event, so that when the clip is selected it would find the
        open htm/html documents that you have open for editing, and update
        the dates.

        ______[Copy below this line]_______
        H="Find Last Updated-All Docs"
        ;Larry Hamilton, Jr. <lm_hamilton@...>
        ;08/01/2000, 07:55:31 AM
        ^!Set %COUNTER%=0
        ^!Set %DocCount%=^$GetDocCount$
        ^!StatusClose
        ^!StatusShow Updating "Last Updated"
        :LOOP
        ^!Inc:%COUNTER%
        ^!SetDocIndex ^%COUNTER%

        ^!IF ^%COUNTER% > ^%DocCount% END ELSE NEXT
        ^!Open ^$GetDocName(^%COUNTER%)$
        ^!Find "Last updated " GW
        ;^!Find "<B>" IS
        ^!IfError End