[NH] Re: style and layout presentation using notetab -moving to new folder-

  • xmarti3
    Message 1 of 13 , Apr 12, 2007
      --- In ntb-html@yahoogroups.com, "xmarti3" <lalmarti@...> wrote:
      Thanks for everyone's help. I guess I figured out half the problem, at
      least the half that lets the files read the style sheets on the server.

      Here's what happened - I uploaded all the files and they too did not
      read the style sheets on the server. But then I realized that I could
      not read the file extentions on my file side of the FTP and there were
      3 instances of each layout and presentation sheets. Then I noticed
      that the style sheets I chose to upload had the wrong extensions. One
      of the 3 of each had been correct, a second had css.html (or was this
      one just .html, i foget) and a third had .css.zip, I just had to go
      back and pick the .css files... and then everything was great.
      So even though I never chose those particular files when I moved the
      style sheets files (from the original folder in 'my documents') to the
      new folder at 'my documents' it must have chose to pass me a .css.zip
      or such. I still don't know what ext of style sheets are in the new
      folder there, but now at least I know to be aware that could happen. I
      found a couple other instances of the style sheets and deleted them
      but the files in the new folder still won't read them.
      I had done some sending of my files from another computer, so that is
      where the .zip came from, unsure of the other.

      Laura
      Message 2 of 13 , Apr 12, 2007
        xmarti3 wrote:
        > that the style sheets I chose to upload had the wrong extensions.

        Have you allowed your windows to "hide extensions of known file formats"
        or some such nonsense? My advice is don't and also have it show you
        hidden and system files. It may be alright for your husband to hide
        things from you, especially in the week before your birthday, that's up
        to, but allowing Bill Gates and Windows to do the same is a sure way
        into trouble.

        Axel
      • xmarti3
        Message 3 of 13 , Apr 13, 2007

          > xmarti3 wrote:
          > > that the style sheets I chose to upload had the wrong extensions.
          >
          > Have you allowed your windows to "hide extensions of known file formats"
          > or some such nonsense? My advice is don't and also have it show you
          > hidden and system files. It may be alright for your husband to hide
          > things from you, especially in the week before your birthday, that's up
          > to, but allowing Bill Gates and Windows to do the same is a sure way
          > into trouble.
          >
          > Axel

          LOL!
          I used Easy FTP from eHostSource.com and on the side that shows my
          files, you cannot see the ext due to the short width of the window..
          and on my puter I never noticed different file extensions because all
          i did was open a new folder in the original folder and dragged the
          needed files (by icon) into it. So that is what I mean about not
          choosing the file.. i did move the icon that in that folder must be
          correct. If all this makes sense to you. Maybe there is another way i
          should go about setting up the folder? So far i have just always
          downloaded the files into the folder i setup, then move them around
          from there.
          Laura
          Message 4 of 13 , Apr 14, 2007
            xmarti3 wrote:
            > If all this makes sense to you.

            Not overly much, no, sorry. Two more hints, as you say "icon":
            In Windows windows (yes, I know, but I didn't choose the name) always
            choose "show details" for view. In a folder of mostly HTML or mostly
            textfiles or similar there are few things more ridiculous than huge
            icons, all the same, with tiny illegible and truncated script
            underneath.

            > I used Easy FTP

            Don't know that one, it may even be good. For myself I have not found
            anything to beat Totalcommander for all basic tasks including FTP. The
            trial version is fully functional except for one nag-screen on startup.
            I can't use any computer efficiently without that one.

            Axel
          • xmarti3
            Message 5 of 13 , Apr 14, 2007

              > xmarti3 wrote:
              > > If all this makes sense to you.
              >
              > Not overly much, no, sorry. Two more hints, as you say "icon":
              > In Windows windows (yes, I know, but I didn't choose the name) always
              > choose "show details" for view. >>
              NO, i am saying the window in Easy FTP, and i see no way to change
              that in that program. Will say though that Easy FTP was easy! And
              while I did think that was poor having the too small of window to read
              my files, but then.. it was FREE.

              In a folder of mostly HTML or mostly
              > textfiles or similar there are few things more ridiculous than huge
              > icons, all the same, with tiny illegible and truncated script
              > underneath.

              Well, when I save my files to a folder while in NoteTab Light, it
              automatically saves the files using browser ID type icons..maybe there
              is another way to set that?

              > > I used Easy FTP
              >
              > Don't know that one, it may even be good. For myself I have not found
              > anything to beat Totalcommander for all basic tasks including FTP. The
              > trial version is fully functional except for one nag-screen on startup.
              > I can't use any computer efficiently without that one.
              >
              > Axel

              Thanks for the info, one day i may actually invest in an FTP, but too,
              I think of upgrading my NoteTab Light.

              Laura
              Message 6 of 13 , Apr 15, 2007
                xmarti3 wrote:
                > NoteTab Light, it automatically saves the files using
                > browser ID type icons..maybe there is another way to set that?

                Notetab does nothing. The icon is chosen by the operation system solely
                based on the file's extension. But whenever you look at the contents of
                any folder, icons are not what you want to see. As I said, right click
                into the folder background and "view -> details".

                Axel
              • frank
                Message 7 of 13 , Apr 15, 2007
                  hello all,

                  I would remind any who are including FTP into their process to choose
                  one that can be operated from a command, and that can have many
                  different profiles [presets].

                  with NoteTab you can build a clip that will FTP your file to whatever
                  directory your preset specifies. when you finish working on your
                  source code you can just click the clip and it will FTP. no need to
                  even open the FTP client. it just happens in the background. and while
                  that is working you can continue working in NoteTab on another file.
                  saves me alotta time.

                  regards,

                  tf
                  http://www.thefrank.com
                  http://www.icosagame.com
                • xmarti3
                  Message 8 of 13 , Apr 15, 2007
                    Thankyou Axel, I found how to see the file ext. In win 2000, you go to
                    Tools and then Folder options. I can have it appear in the address
                    bar. Found the answer in my handy dandy windows 2000 'teach yourself'
                    book.
                    Laura

                    > xmarti3 wrote:
                    > > NoteTab Light, it automatically saves the files using
                    > > browser ID type icons..maybe there is another way to set that?
                    >
                    > Notetab does nothing. The icon is chosen by the operation system solely
                    > based on the file's extension. But whenever you look at the contents of
                    > any folder, icons are not what you want to see. As I said, right click
                    > into the folder background and "view -> details".
                    >
                    > Axel

                  • xmarti3
                    Message 9 of 13 , Apr 15, 2007
                      Is that a feature in NoteTab standard edition or do I gotta go pro to
                      get that feature?
                      Laura

                      --- In ntb-html@yahoogroups.com, "frank" <tf@...> wrote:

                      > hello all,
                      >
                      > I would remind any who are including FTP into their process to choose
                      > one that can be operated from a command, and that can have many
                      > different profiles [presets].
                      >
                      > with NoteTab you can build a clip that will FTP your file to whatever
                      > directory your preset specifies. when you finish working on your
                      > source code you can just click the clip and it will FTP. no need to
                      > even open the FTP client. it just happens in the background. and while
                      > that is working you can continue working in NoteTab on another file.
                      > saves me alotta time.
                      >
                      > regards,
                      >
                      > tf
                      > http://www.thefrank.com
                      > http://www.icosagame.com

                    • frank
                      Message 10 of 13 , Apr 16, 2007
                        Hi Laura

                        I use NTP [Pro] and cannot comment regarding NTS [Standard] features.
                        There are however many group members who are familiar with NTS and
                        should be able to answer your question accurately.

                        regards,

                        tf
                        http://www.thefrank.com
                        http://www.icosagame.com
                        Message 11 of 13 , Apr 16, 2007
                          frank wrote:
                          > I use NTP [Pro]

                          NTP is so bloody cheap, that when getting i could not see the point of
                          buying anything less - especially since tho pro functions are the ones
                          really worth having.