[NH] Re: style and layout presentation using notetab -moving to new folder-

  • xmarti3
    Message 1 of 13 , Apr 11, 2007

      > xmarti3 wrote:
      > > <link rel="stylesheet" type="text/css"
      > > href="3c-lcrc-static-layout.css" />
      >
      > First: Moving all your files was a very good idea and catches just the
      > kind of mistakes it has done here before going public.
      > And it ought to have worked too.
      > One question:
      > Have you moved the two style sheets into the new folder too? That's
      > where the HTML looks for them, right beside itself.
      >
      > Axel

      Yes, I moved everything including the presentation and layout files.
      After I saw it didn't work (and this is not the first time I have seen
      this in all the time I have worked on the pages) I moved it all back
      into the original folder, where it was now absent after the move. I
      say 'after the move' it was no longer in the original file, but
      strangely (or not, but different anyway) when I sent the same files
      back to my documents so I could put them back into the original
      folder, the new folder kept all the files just the same. Why the
      difference? So I can now test from either folder, of course the newer
      folder does not read the style sheets.
      I maybe have to send all the unneeded files out of the original
      folder if I want to keep all the files together by themselves. That
      will be a lot of work though.

      In answer too.. though I have the style sheets in with all the other
      files, maybe it will help if I put them in order somehow (as Lotta
      said something about this), as they are used maybe? I'll try it anyway.
      Laura
    • xmarti3
      Message 2 of 13 , Apr 12, 2007
        --- In ntb-html@yahoogroups.com, "xmarti3" <lalmarti@...> wrote:
        Thanks for everyone's help. I guess I figured out half the problem, at
        least the half that lets the files read the style sheets on the server.

        Here's what happened - I uploaded all the files and they too did not
        read the style sheets on the server. But then I realized that I could
        not read the file extentions on my file side of the FTP and there were
        3 instances of each layout and presentation sheets. Then I noticed
        that the style sheets I chose to upload had the wrong extensions. One
        of the 3 of each had been correct, a second had css.html (or was this
        one just .html, i foget) and a third had .css.zip, I just had to go
        back and pick the .css files... and then everything was great.
        So even though I never chose those particular files when I moved the
        style sheets files (from the original folder in 'my documents') to the
        new folder at 'my documents' it must have chose to pass me a .css.zip
        or such. I still don't know what ext of style sheets are in the new
        folder there, but now at least I know to be aware that could happen. I
        found a couple other instances of the style sheets and deleted them
        but the files in the new folder still won't read them.
        I had done some sending of my files from another computer, so that is
        where the .zip came from, unsure of the other.

        Laura
        Message 3 of 13 , Apr 12, 2007
          xmarti3 wrote:
          > that the style sheets I chose to upload had the wrong extensions.

          Have you allowed your windows to "hide extensions of known file formats"
          or some such nonsense? My advice is don't and also have it show you
          hidden and system files. It may be alright for your husband to hide
          things from you, especially in the week before your birthday, that's up
          to, but allowing Bill Gates and Windows to do the same is a sure way
          into trouble.

          Axel
        • xmarti3
          Message 4 of 13 , Apr 13, 2007

            > xmarti3 wrote:
            > > that the style sheets I chose to upload had the wrong extensions.
            >
            > Have you allowed your windows to "hide extensions of known file formats"
            > or some such nonsense? My advice is don't and also have it show you
            > hidden and system files. It may be alright for your husband to hide
            > things from you, especially in the week before your birthday, that's up
            > to, but allowing Bill Gates and Windows to do the same is a sure way
            > into trouble.
            >
            > Axel

            LOL!
            I used Easy FTP from eHostSource.com and on the side that shows my
            files, you cannot see the ext due to the short width of the window..
            and on my puter I never noticed different file extensions because all
            i did was open a new folder in the original folder and dragged the
            needed files (by icon) into it. So that is what I mean about not
            choosing the file.. i did move the icon that in that folder must be
            correct. If all this makes sense to you. Maybe there is another way i
            should go about setting up the folder? So far i have just always
            downloaded the files into the folder i setup, then move them around
            from there.
            Laura
            Message 5 of 13 , Apr 14, 2007
              xmarti3 wrote:
              > If all this makes sense to you.

              Not overly much, no, sorry. Two more hints, as you say "icon":
              In Windows windows (yes, I know, but I didn't choose the name) always
              choose "show details" for view. In a folder of mostly HTML or mostly
              textfiles or similar there are few things more ridiculous than huge
              icons, all the same, with tiny illegible and truncated script
              underneath.

              > I used Easy FTP

              Don't know that one, it may even be good. For myself I have not found
              anything to beat Totalcommander for all basic tasks including FTP. The
              trial version is fully functional except for one nag-screen on startup.
              I can't use any computer efficiently without that one.

              Axel
            • xmarti3
              Message 6 of 13 , Apr 14, 2007

                > xmarti3 wrote:
                > > If all this makes sense to you.
                >
                > Not overly much, no, sorry. Two more hints, as you say "icon":
                > In Windows windows (yes, I know, but I didn't choose the name) always
                > choose "show details" for view. >>
                NO, i am saying the window in Easy FTP, and i see no way to change
                that in that program. Will say though that Easy FTP was easy! And
                while I did think that was poor having the too small of window to read
                my files, but then.. it was FREE.

                In a folder of mostly HTML or mostly
                > textfiles or similar there are few things more ridiculous than huge
                > icons, all the same, with tiny illegible and truncated script
                > underneath.

                Well, when I save my files to a folder while in NoteTab Light, it
                automatically saves the files using browser ID type icons..maybe there
                is another way to set that?

                > > I used Easy FTP
                >
                > Don't know that one, it may even be good. For myself I have not found
                > anything to beat Totalcommander for all basic tasks including FTP. The
                > trial version is fully functional except for one nag-screen on startup.
                > I can't use any computer efficiently without that one.
                >
                > Axel

                Thanks for the info, one day i may actually invest in an FTP, but too,
                I think of upgrading my NoteTab Light.

                Laura
                Message 7 of 13 , Apr 15, 2007
                  xmarti3 wrote:
                  > NoteTab Light, it automatically saves the files using
                  > browser ID type icons..maybe there is another way to set that?

                  Notetab does nothing. The icon is chosen by the operation system solely
                  based on the file's extension. But whenever you look at the contents of
                  any folder, icons are not what you want to see. As I said, right click
                  into the folder background and "view -> details".

                  Axel
                • frank
                  Message 8 of 13 , Apr 15, 2007
                    hello all,

                    I would remind any who are including FTP into their process to choose
                    one that can be operated from a command, and that can have many
                    different profiles [presets].

                    with NoteTab you can build a clip that will FTP your file to whatever
                    directory your preset specifies. when you finish working on your
                    source code you can just click the clip and it will FTP. no need to
                    even open the FTP client. it just happens in the background. and while
                    that is working you can continue working in NoteTab on another file.
                    saves me alotta time.

                    regards,

                    tf
                    http://www.thefrank.com
                    http://www.icosagame.com
                  • xmarti3
                    Message 9 of 13 , Apr 15, 2007
                      Thankyou Axel, I found how to see the file ext. In win 2000, you go to
                      Tools and then Folder options. I can have it appear in the address
                      bar. Found the answer in my handy dandy windows 2000 'teach yourself'
                      book.
                      Laura

                      > xmarti3 wrote:
                      > > NoteTab Light, it automatically saves the files using
                      > > browser ID type icons..maybe there is another way to set that?
                      >
                      > Notetab does nothing. The icon is chosen by the operation system solely
                      > based on the file's extension. But whenever you look at the contents of
                      > any folder, icons are not what you want to see. As I said, right click
                      > into the folder background and "view -> details".
                      >
                      > Axel

                    • xmarti3
                      Message 10 of 13 , Apr 15, 2007
                        Is that a feature in NoteTab standard edition or do I gotta go pro to
                        get that feature?
                        Laura

                        --- In ntb-html@yahoogroups.com, "frank" <tf@...> wrote:

                        > hello all,
                        >
                        > I would remind any who are including FTP into their process to choose
                        > one that can be operated from a command, and that can have many
                        > different profiles [presets].
                        >
                        > with NoteTab you can build a clip that will FTP your file to whatever
                        > directory your preset specifies. when you finish working on your
                        > source code you can just click the clip and it will FTP. no need to
                        > even open the FTP client. it just happens in the background. and while
                        > that is working you can continue working in NoteTab on another file.
                        > saves me alotta time.
                        >
                        > regards,
                        >
                        > tf
                        > http://www.thefrank.com
                        > http://www.icosagame.com

                      • frank
                        Message 11 of 13 , Apr 16, 2007
                          Hi Laura

                          I use NTP [Pro] and cannot comment regarding NTS [Standard] features.
                          There are however many group members who are familiar with NTS and
                          should be able to answer your question accurately.

                          regards,

                          tf
                          http://www.thefrank.com
                          http://www.icosagame.com
                          Message 12 of 13 , Apr 16, 2007
                            frank wrote:
                            > I use NTP [Pro]

                            NTP is so bloody cheap, that when getting i could not see the point of
                            buying anything less - especially since tho pro functions are the ones
                            really worth having.