Re: [NH] Re: style and layout presentation using notetab -moving to new folder-

    Message 1 of 13 , Apr 11, 2007
      xmarti3 wrote:
      > <link rel="stylesheet" type="text/css"
      > href="3c-lcrc-static-layout.css" />

      First: Moving all your files was a very good idea and catches just the
      kind of mistakes it has done here before going public.
      And it ought to have worked too.
      One question:
      Have you moved the two style sheets into the new folder too? That's
      where the HTML looks for them, right beside itself.

      Axel
    • xmarti3
      Message 2 of 13 , Apr 11, 2007

        > xmarti3 wrote:
        > > <link rel="stylesheet" type="text/css"
        > > href="3c-lcrc-static-layout.css" />
        >
        > First: Moving all your files was a very good idea and catches just the
        > kind of mistakes it has done here before going public.
        > And it ought to have worked too.
        > One question:
        > Have you moved the two style sheets into the new folder too? That's
        > where the HTML looks for them, right beside itself.
        >
        > Axel

        Yes, I moved everything including the presentation and layout files.
        After I saw it didn't work (and this is not the first time I have seen
        this in all the time I have worked on the pages) I moved it all back
        into the original folder, where it was now absent after the move. I
        say 'after the move' it was no longer in the original file, but
        strangely (or not, but different anyway) when I sent the same files
        back to my documents so I could put them back into the original
        folder, the new folder kept all the files just the same. Why the
        difference? So I can now test from either folder, of course the newer
        folder does not read the style sheets.
        I maybe have to send all the unneeded files out of the original
        folder if I want to keep all the files together by themselves. That
        will be a lot of work though.

        In answer too.. though I have the style sheets in with all the other
        files, maybe it will help if I put them in order somehow (as Lotta
        said something about this), as they are used maybe? I'll try it anyway.
        Laura
      • xmarti3
        Message 3 of 13 , Apr 12, 2007
          --- In ntb-html@yahoogroups.com, "xmarti3" <lalmarti@...> wrote:
          Thanks for everyone's help. I guess I figured out half the problem, at
          least the half that lets the files read the style sheets on the server.

          Here's what happened - I uploaded all the files and they too did not
          read the style sheets on the server. But then I realized that I could
          not read the file extentions on my file side of the FTP and there were
          3 instances of each layout and presentation sheets. Then I noticed
          that the style sheets I chose to upload had the wrong extensions. One
          of the 3 of each had been correct, a second had css.html (or was this
          one just .html, i foget) and a third had .css.zip, I just had to go
          back and pick the .css files... and then everything was great.
          So even though I never chose those particular files when I moved the
          style sheets files (from the original folder in 'my documents') to the
          new folder at 'my documents' it must have chose to pass me a .css.zip
          or such. I still don't know what ext of style sheets are in the new
          folder there, but now at least I know to be aware that could happen. I
          found a couple other instances of the style sheets and deleted them
          but the files in the new folder still won't read them.
          I had done some sending of my files from another computer, so that is
          where the .zip came from, unsure of the other.

          Laura
          Message 4 of 13 , Apr 12, 2007
            xmarti3 wrote:
            > that the style sheets I chose to upload had the wrong extensions.

            Have you allowed your windows to "hide extensions of known file formats"
            or some such nonsense? My advice is don't and also have it show you
            hidden and system files. It may be alright for your husband to hide
            things from you, especially in the week before your birthday, that's up
            to, but allowing Bill Gates and Windows to do the same is a sure way
            into trouble.

            Axel
          • xmarti3
            Message 5 of 13 , Apr 13, 2007

              > xmarti3 wrote:
              > > that the style sheets I chose to upload had the wrong extensions.
              >
              > Have you allowed your windows to "hide extensions of known file formats"
              > or some such nonsense? My advice is don't and also have it show you
              > hidden and system files. It may be alright for your husband to hide
              > things from you, especially in the week before your birthday, that's up
              > to, but allowing Bill Gates and Windows to do the same is a sure way
              > into trouble.
              >
              > Axel

              LOL!
              I used Easy FTP from eHostSource.com and on the side that shows my
              files, you cannot see the ext due to the short width of the window..
              and on my puter I never noticed different file extensions because all
              i did was open a new folder in the original folder and dragged the
              needed files (by icon) into it. So that is what I mean about not
              choosing the file.. i did move the icon that in that folder must be
              correct. If all this makes sense to you. Maybe there is another way i
              should go about setting up the folder? So far i have just always
              downloaded the files into the folder i setup, then move them around
              from there.
              Laura
              Message 6 of 13 , Apr 14, 2007
                xmarti3 wrote:
                > If all this makes sense to you.

                Not overly much, no, sorry. Two more hints, as you say "icon":
                In Windows windows (yes, I know, but I didn't choose the name) always
                choose "show details" for view. In a folder of mostly HTML or mostly
                textfiles or similar there are few things more ridiculous than huge
                icons, all the same, with tiny illegible and truncated script
                underneath.

                > I used Easy FTP

                Don't know that one, it may even be good. For myself I have not found
                anything to beat Totalcommander for all basic tasks including FTP. The
                trial version is fully functional except for one nag-screen on startup.
                I can't use any computer efficiently without that one.

                Axel
              • xmarti3
                Message 7 of 13 , Apr 14, 2007

                  > xmarti3 wrote:
                  > > If all this makes sense to you.
                  >
                  > Not overly much, no, sorry. Two more hints, as you say "icon":
                  > In Windows windows (yes, I know, but I didn't choose the name) always
                  > choose "show details" for view. >>
                  NO, i am saying the window in Easy FTP, and i see no way to change
                  that in that program. Will say though that Easy FTP was easy! And
                  while I did think that was poor having the too small of window to read
                  my files, but then.. it was FREE.

                  In a folder of mostly HTML or mostly
                  > textfiles or similar there are few things more ridiculous than huge
                  > icons, all the same, with tiny illegible and truncated script
                  > underneath.

                  Well, when I save my files to a folder while in NoteTab Light, it
                  automatically saves the files using browser ID type icons..maybe there
                  is another way to set that?

                  > > I used Easy FTP
                  >
                  > Don't know that one, it may even be good. For myself I have not found
                  > anything to beat Totalcommander for all basic tasks including FTP. The
                  > trial version is fully functional except for one nag-screen on startup.
                  > I can't use any computer efficiently without that one.
                  >
                  > Axel

                  Thanks for the info, one day i may actually invest in an FTP, but too,
                  I think of upgrading my NoteTab Light.

                  Laura
                  Message 8 of 13 , Apr 15, 2007
                    xmarti3 wrote:
                    > NoteTab Light, it automatically saves the files using
                    > browser ID type icons..maybe there is another way to set that?

                    Notetab does nothing. The icon is chosen by the operation system solely
                    based on the file's extension. But whenever you look at the contents of
                    any folder, icons are not what you want to see. As I said, right click
                    into the folder background and "view -> details".

                    Axel
                  • frank
                    Message 9 of 13 , Apr 15, 2007
                      hello all,

                      I would remind any who are including FTP into their process to choose
                      one that can be operated from a command, and that can have many
                      different profiles [presets].

                      with NoteTab you can build a clip that will FTP your file to whatever
                      directory your preset specifies. when you finish working on your
                      source code you can just click the clip and it will FTP. no need to
                      even open the FTP client. it just happens in the background. and while
                      that is working you can continue working in NoteTab on another file.
                      saves me alotta time.

                      regards,

                      tf
                      http://www.thefrank.com
                      http://www.icosagame.com
                    • xmarti3
                      Message 10 of 13 , Apr 15, 2007
                        Thankyou Axel, I found how to see the file ext. In win 2000, you go to
                        Tools and then Folder options. I can have it appear in the address
                        bar. Found the answer in my handy dandy windows 2000 'teach yourself'
                        book.
                        Laura

                        > xmarti3 wrote:
                        > > NoteTab Light, it automatically saves the files using
                        > > browser ID type icons..maybe there is another way to set that?
                        >
                        > Notetab does nothing. The icon is chosen by the operation system solely
                        > based on the file's extension. But whenever you look at the contents of
                        > any folder, icons are not what you want to see. As I said, right click
                        > into the folder background and "view -> details".
                        >
                        > Axel

                      • xmarti3
                        Message 11 of 13 , Apr 15, 2007
                          Is that a feature in NoteTab standard edition or do I gotta go pro to
                          get that feature?
                          Laura

                          --- In ntb-html@yahoogroups.com, "frank" <tf@...> wrote:

                          > hello all,
                          >
                          > I would remind any who are including FTP into their process to choose
                          > one that can be operated from a command, and that can have many
                          > different profiles [presets].
                          >
                          > with NoteTab you can build a clip that will FTP your file to whatever
                          > directory your preset specifies. when you finish working on your
                          > source code you can just click the clip and it will FTP. no need to
                          > even open the FTP client. it just happens in the background. and while
                          > that is working you can continue working in NoteTab on another file.
                          > saves me alotta time.
                          >
                          > regards,
                          >
                          > tf
                          > http://www.thefrank.com
                          > http://www.icosagame.com

                        • frank
                          Message 12 of 13 , Apr 16, 2007
                            Hi Laura

                            I use NTP [Pro] and cannot comment regarding NTS [Standard] features.
                            There are however many group members who are familiar with NTS and
                            should be able to answer your question accurately.

                            regards,

                            tf
                            http://www.thefrank.com
                            http://www.icosagame.com
                            Message 13 of 13 , Apr 16, 2007
                              frank wrote:
                              > I use NTP [Pro]

                              NTP is so bloody cheap, that when getting i could not see the point of
                              buying anything less - especially since tho pro functions are the ones
                              really worth having.