advice on good design wanted

    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 30, 2007
      My daughter wants a site in the classic three columns and header design.
      Now I am in a bit of a quandry how to do it. I am I firm believer in
      HTML for structure and content and CSS for design and insist on writing
      HTML that's fully useable on its own. Most of that is easy: Content DIV
      for the middle column first, side columns after. But this makes terribly
      long pages and it really would be desirable to place the two slim side
      columns side by side. For two images that's easy, but it can't be done
      for DIVs with HTML (or can it?).
      Do you suppose it might be acceptable to use a table with the top row
      colspan 2 for the content and two cells in the second row and declare
      that às "this is not a table" in CSS? Using tables for layout totally
      goes against the grain but it would aid useability. Does anyone know
      which is better for blind and keyboard-only users?

      Axel
    • Corl DeLuna
      Message 2 of 2 , Mar 30, 2007
        Hi Alex,

        You might want to look at this article
        http://www.netmechanic.com/news/vol4/accessibility_no17.htm It's a few years
        old but that might be perfect since as you've said, "write your code as
        backwards compatible as possible."

        I use CSS for layout, not out of principle, but because that was the thing
        to do when I started to learn this maddening craft. I've been using the <a
        href="#navigation">Skip to navigation links or content</a> technique for a
        long time and just style as display: none.

        I'm learning tables now for data presentation and found part 1 a real eye
        opener http://www.netmechanic.com/news/vol4/accessibility_no16.htm

        http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&as_qdr=all&q=web+accessibility+tables
        brought up this and many other interesting articles on the subject.

        As a side note here is insightful article
        http://www.andybudd.com/archives/2004/05/an_objective_look_at_table_based_vs
        _css_based_design/index.php

        Best,
        Corl