Re: [NH] Reset CSS So All Modern Browsers Display The Same

    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 28, 2007
      Corl DeLuna wrote:
      > http://developer.yahoo.com/yui/reset/

      That page and its associated
      http://developer.yahoo.com/yui/articles/gbs/gbs.html
      are very interesting. I fully endorse everything said in there.

      The funny (or sad, depending on your take) point about it is that they
      themselves ignore everything they claim to aspire to.
      1) The gbs page does not display at all in a strict browser.
      2) Some things are illegible in pure HTML, because ALL linebreaks exist
      in CSS only. Look at the reset example:
      > body,div,dl,dt,dd,ul,ol,li,h1,h2,h3,h4,h5,h6,pre,form,fieldset,input,textarea,p,blockquote,th,td { margin:0; padding:0; } table { border-collapse:collapse; border-spacing:0; } fieldset,img { border:0; } address,caption,cite,code,dfn,em,strong,th,var { font-style:normal; font-weight:normal; } ol,ul list-style:none; } caption,th { text-align:left; } h1,h2,h3,h4,h5,h6 { font-size:100%; font-weight:normal; } q:before,q:after { content:''; } abbr,acronym { border:0; }
      3) CSS does not enhance but reduce experience
      a) The font becomes too small to be read comfortably.
      b) Line legths become ridiculously long and very hard to read. (There
      are good reasons for web design to stay below the 65 character per line
      rule developed for printed matter and aim for about 45.)(I too am an
      offender on my pages, just to a lesser degree.)
      c) On less than 1024 of resolution and without giving the page the full
      screen every single one of those lines has to be scrolled horizontally.

      I wanted to mention my favourite choice of hypocrite here for
      comparison, but I won't so as not to offend anyone. Please substitute
      your own.

      Axel

      P.S: Just to make it totally clear: That gbs.html page is full of good
      advice and I endorse nearly every word of it.