.css file not parsing (now).

  • Christine
    Message 1 of 20 , Mar 27, 2007
      Life is never dull.

      Just before everyone helped me correct my .css file and get things in
      better woring order, my web host was sold. I spent weeks not getting
      mail, and not knowing mine was going no where. The frustrating thing
      was not their total lack of responsiveness, but that somehow, (I'm
      quoting one of their few communications) my "site was corrupted
      during the move from the NT servers to the Linux servers." Huh?

      Anyway, they weren't kidding. I think much of it was the upper/lower
      case situation, but thank goodness I'm decently consistant. I did
      discover through my own research, that where I can and have used this
      SSI format: <!--#include file="../SSI/Lotus.txt" --> for years,
      evidently the path format is rejected by my new host's servers.
      Although they couldn't tell me this, I discovered I had to change the
      world "file" to "virtual" as in: <!--#include
      virtual="../SSI/Lotus.txt" -->.

      My point in all this, is that for years I've had my meta tags in an
      SSI file. Including my favicon.ico and .css file. No biggie, and
      the ssi file has not changed. However, I'm finding that the these
      lines aren't being actioned. I can take them out of the meta tags
      and type them directly into my documents, but they're still not being
      used.

      So, since I'm definately on my own here, because even my new host --
      which is also Linux -- doesn't help with coding. But they do answer
      email, which is totally cool.

      Does anyone have any idea what would prevent my .css file from
      parsing, or the favicon.ico from working? When I view source code
      online, the data from the meta tag is there. Here's my .css line
      format. My site is http://www.YogaDancer.com, but know that I'm
      fussing with it still trying to get it to work.

      Thanks, as always, for your help,
      Christine

      <LINK REL="stylesheet" TYPE="text/css"
      HREF="../Scripts/YogaDancer.css">
      <LINK REL="SHORTCUT ICON" HREF="../images/favicon.ico">
      Message 2 of 20 , Mar 27, 2007
        Christine wrote:
        >Does anyone have any idea what would prevent my .css file from
        >parsing, or the favicon.ico from working? When I view source code
        >online, the data from the meta tag is there. Here's my .css line
        >format. My site is http://www.YogaDancer.com, but know that I'm
        >fussing with it still trying to get it to work.
        >
        >Thanks, as always, for your help,
        >Christine
        >
        ><LINK REL="stylesheet" TYPE="text/css"
        >HREF="../Scripts/YogaDancer.css">

        Well, that double dot in the beginning of the path means one directory up.
        You have it like that in your index.html too and you can't go up from
        http://www.YogaDancer.com . http://www.yogadancer.com/Scripts/ exists but
        it's empty.

        ><LINK REL="SHORTCUT ICON" HREF="../images/favicon.ico">

        You don't have the double dots in index.html here, so that part is OK. I
        found the file. It's Favicon.ico with an uppercase F.

        If you are staying on Linux, life gets easier if you use lowercase file and
        directory names or invent a scheme that you always stick to.

        Lotta
      • Christine
        Message 3 of 20 , Mar 27, 2007
          Oh, crap.
          I missed the Favicon capital F. I've been experimenting so much, I
          didn't change it back. It's in the meta ssi file as an upper case,
          too.
          As far as the dots? NT must be forgiving, because that's how my
          pages were when I moved them to this new host. Now, I've
          experimented with full path names, dots, no dots, putting the SSI
          into the same directory, and putting the SSI contents back
          into .shtml file itself.

          No go.
          But thanks for catching the lower case f.
          I don't have any intention of staying any where my pages won't parse
          or they can't help me. Granted, I'm not the best typist or eye in
          the world, but the fact remains, they DID work.

          I have a legal tech support background, so I type upper case. It'll
          be a really tough habit at 48 to break so if I don't have to, I'm not
          going to.

          I'll keep trying!
          Christine

          Message 4 of 20 , Mar 27, 2007
            >As far as the dots? NT must be forgiving, because that's how my
            >pages were when I moved them to this new host. Now, I've
            >experimented with full path names, dots, no dots, putting the SSI
            >into the same directory, and putting the SSI contents back
            >into .shtml file itself.

            I was talking about the CSS link, nit SSI...
            <LINK REL="stylesheet" TYPE="text/css"
            HREF="../Scripts/YogaDancer.css">
            It's wrong in the index page (and maybe others, didn't look) because a
            browser can't go one directory up from the document root. It's already at
            the top.

            Regarding the SSI, it's odd that it worked on the old server because
            INCLUDE FILE can't go upwards, only downwards, in the directory structure.
            I've never heard that it works differently on IIS. INCLUDE VIRTUAL can, and
            it also accepts a path relative the document root, which is often the
            smartest solution since you can use the same path no matter where the page
            in which you use it is.

            But if you've tried everything and it doesn't work, could the problem be
            the same as with the CSS file, that the include files simply aren't there?

            Message 5 of 20 , Mar 27, 2007
              Christine wrote:
              > I type upper case. It'll be a really tough habit at
              > 48 to break so if I don't have to, I'm not going to.

              That depends on what you're doing. As you're using HTML 4 in the current
              document you can capatialize any way you want all over the place, all of
              the tags are case insensitive. Should you move to XHTML they all MUST be
              lowercase. For all your file and path names you can also capitalize or
              not in any way that suits you, BUT contrary to Windows all Unix servers
              are case sensitive. So you do have to write all those names exactly the
              same way everywhere. All lowercase is the easiest rule to ensure this,
              but any other rule that suits you will do as well.

              Axel
            • Christine
              Message 6 of 20 , Mar 29, 2007
                Lotto,
                The includes were there, but not when you looked. As I mentioned,
                I've been moving it around trying to get it to work.

                And yes, the includes file did work, because I didn't know any
                better. It worked for about 6 years, as a matter of fact.

                I don't know.
                What I've been doing, is going in and reentering all the image
                files. Yes, using the same clip I've always used, but once I reenter
                them, they're linking.

                This is making me nuts.

                Christine

                -- In ntb-html@yahoogroups.com, loro <loro-spam01-@...> wrote:

                > I was talking about the CSS link, nit SSI...
                > <LINK REL="stylesheet" TYPE="text/css"
                > HREF="../Scripts/YogaDancer.css">
                > It's wrong in the index page (and maybe others, didn't look)
                because a
                > browser can't go one directory up from the document root. It's
                already at
                > the top.
                >
                > Regarding the SSI, it's odd that it worked on the old server
                because
                > INCLUDE FILE can't go upwards, only downwards, in the directory
                structure.
                > I've never heard that it works differently on IIS. INCLUDE VIRTUAL
                can, and
                > it also accepts a path relative the document root, which is often
                the
                > smartest solution since you can use the same path no matter where
                the page
                > in which you use it is.
                >
                > But if you've tried everything and it doesn't work, could the
                problem be
                > the same as with the CSS file, that the include files simply aren't
                there?

                > Lotta

              • Christine
                Message 7 of 20 , Mar 29, 2007
                  I guess I'm safe.
                  I'm not going to learn xhtml when now I'm being directed towards
                  php. I still haven't figured out the "box" thing for .css.

                  And Axel, lower case typing isn't easier when you learned to type
                  Sentence. Typing is by habit and in cases of those who LEARNED to
                  type via a structured method, typing is an ingrained skill. If I'd
                  learned to type everything in lower/upper case 35 years at? It might
                  be easier. Since I didn't ...

                  Christine

                  Message 8 of 20 , Mar 29, 2007
                    Christine wrote:
                    > And Axel, lower case typing isn't easier

                    Didn't say it was. *Remembering* whether something was capaitalized or
                    not is easier when everthing is the same case. You need to be absolutely
                    and faultlessly consistent here. I usually don't type files and paths
                    but paste them. Typing would often be quicker but it is more error
                    prone.

                    Axel
                  • Corl DeLuna
                    Message 9 of 20 , Mar 29, 2007
                      Hi Christine,

                      Case is only an issue with XHTML, but not an issue with HTML. And HTML 4.01
                      and XHTML 1.0 tags are almost the same, only the DOCTYPE, some closing
                      slashes /> and case differ. With HTML you can write UPPER or lower case it
                      doesn't matter. They validate either way. But, more importantly -- you
                      decide which case works best for you.

                      I have no experience with PHP, but I do have a lot with SQL (Structured
                      Query Language), which is a language that provides an interface to database
                      systems. I think that SQL is used in PHP, not postiive. But, talk about case
                      sensivity, a SQL call must be perfect or you'll get no results at all.

                      I've been here before, and wasted a lot of time. It seems counter intuitive,
                      and I know many brighter people will disagree, but for me a non-programmer,
                      it is a lot faster, and a lot less work to create a large (2,000+) website
                      by "hand" with a tool like NoteTab using its HTML clips, and custom
                      templates, than it ever was to try to cajole a database to spit it out for
                      me. Plus, I really get to focus a lot more on the content, than the
                      mechanics.

                      Namaste,
                      Corl

                      ________________________________

                      Message 10 of 20 , Mar 29, 2007
                        Christine wrote:
                        > Lotto,
                        > The includes were there, but not when you looked. As
                        > I mentioned, I've been moving it around trying to get
                        > it to work.
                        >
                        > And yes, the includes file did work, because I didn't know any
                        > better. It worked for about 6 years, as a matter of fact.
                        >
                        > I don't know.
                        > What I've been doing, is going in and reentering all the
                        image files. Yes, using the same clip I've always used,
                        but once I reenter them, they're linking.

                        > This is making me nuts.
                        >
                        > Christine

                        Christine,

                        I hate to add to your woes but, I, for one, have received 3 identical
                        emails from you dated and time stamped - 3/29/2007, 1:57pm. Either you
                        or yahoo has some kind of repeating loop running.

                        ºvº SL-3-230
                        2007.03.29 - 16.30.14

                        What do Eskimos get from sitting on the ice too long?"
                        "Polaroids

                        ¤ hrs ø hsavage@...
                      • Greg Chapman
                        Message 11 of 20 , Mar 29, 2007
                          Hi hs,

                          On 29 Mar 07 22:36 hsavage <hsavage@...> said:
                          > I hate to add to your woes but, I, for one, have received 3
                          > identical emails from you dated and time stamped
                          > - 3/29/2007, 1:57pm. Either you
                          > or yahoo has some kind of repeating loop running.

                          I fancy it is Yahoo. Yesterday, on another list, someone made exactly
                          the same complaint about someone posting duplicates/triplicates, but
                          I, and others, were only getting one.

                          Greg
                        • Cary Driscoll
                          Message 12 of 20 , Mar 29, 2007
                            Yahoo is placing this message at the top of group home pages:

                            "We are aware that some groups are experiencing a duplicate post problem and
                            are working on a fix. Please refer to the Yahoo! Groups Team Blog for the
                            latest information on this issue."

                            I hate to add to your woes but, I, for one, have received 3 identical
                            emails from you dated and time stamped - 3/29/2007, 1:57pm. Either you
                            or yahoo has some kind of repeating loop running.
                          • Julie
                            Message 13 of 20 , Mar 29, 2007
                              Yahoo had the hiccups yesterday... I think they've fixed it though?

                              Julie

                              At 04:36 PM 3/29/2007, hsavage wrote:

                              >I hate to add to your woes but, I, for one, have received 3 identical
                              >emails from you dated and time stamped - 3/29/2007, 1:57pm. Either you
                              >or yahoo has some kind of repeating loop running.

                            • GilaMountainDulcimers.com
                              Message 14 of 20 , Mar 29, 2007
                                This is also happening on two other Yahoo groups I am a member of. Give it a day or so and it will cease.

                                Hugs,
                                Kerry Coates in New Mexico
                                Visit all my websites!
                                http://www.GilaMountainDulcimers.com
                                http://www.Amazing-Health-Products.com
                                http://www.GamblingStrategyCards.com
                                http://www.CharroCoats.com
                                http://www.PaulCoatesGuitar.com

                                Message 15 of 20 , Mar 29, 2007
                                  I agree with you Corl. I don't even want to mess with something more
                                  (supposedly) sophistacated. I had a fantastic person as a boss once --
                                  yes, once -- who was Chinese. He had the best accent and the driest
                                  sense of humor. When I started learning html, he told me to learn to
                                  code by hand so I could always find my errors. Now, I still don't
                                  always see them, but it's a lot easier with clips!

                                  I was always impressed that he could read binary code into English.

                                  Christine
                                • Christine
                                  Message 16 of 20 , Mar 29, 2007
                                    I'm posting to the list, so t'aint me.

                                    --- In ntb-html@yahoogroups.com, hsavage <hsavage@...> wrote:

                                    > Christine,
                                    >
                                    > I hate to add to your woes but, I, for one, have received 3
                                    identical
                                    > emails from you dated and time stamped - 3/29/2007, 1:57pm. Either
                                    you
                                    > or yahoo has some kind of repeating loop running.
                                    >
                                    > ºvº SL-3-230
                                    > 2007.03.29 - 16.30.14
                                    >
                                    > What do Eskimos get from sitting on the ice too long?"
                                    > "Polaroids
                                    >
                                    > ¤ hrs ø hsavage@...

                                  • Christine
                                    Message 17 of 20 , Mar 29, 2007
                                      I don't paste them, I clip them.
                                      And, if I'm writing in general, it's sentence case. Of course,
                                      spelling can be an issue in my case.

                                      You did say lower case was the easiest, which is with what I took
                                      exception.

                                      Christine

                                      > Christine wrote:
                                      > > And Axel, lower case typing isn't easier
                                      >
                                      > Didn't say it was. *Remembering* whether something was capaitalized or
                                      > not is easier when everthing is the same case. You need to be
                                      absolutely
                                      > and faultlessly consistent here. I usually don't type files and paths
                                      > but paste them. Typing would often be quicker but it is more error
                                      > prone.
                                      >
                                      > Axel

                                    • sisterscape
                                      Message 18 of 20 , Mar 29, 2007
                                        php is not a replacemnt for HTML (or xhtml). It works with html to
                                        create interactive pages and work with a database etc. There really
                                        isn't much difference between HTML and xhtml so I don't know why you're
                                        dragging your feet. NoteTab case change the case with the click of a
                                        mouse.

                                        sisterscape

                                        --- Christine <christine@...> wrote:

                                        > I guess I'm safe.
                                        > I'm not going to learn xhtml when now I'm being directed towards
                                        > php. I still haven't figured out the "box" thing for .css.
                                        >
                                        > And Axel, lower case typing isn't easier when you learned to type
                                        > Sentence. Typing is by habit and in cases of those who LEARNED to
                                        > type via a structured method, typing is an ingrained skill. If I'd
                                        > learned to type everything in lower/upper case 35 years at? It might
                                        >
                                        > be easier. Since I didn't ...
                                        >
                                        > Christine
                                        >
                                        > --- In ntb-html@yahoogroups.com, Axel Berger <Axel-Berger@...> wrote:
                                        > >
                                        > > Christine wrote:
                                        > > > I type upper case. It'll be a really tough habit at
                                        > > > 48 to break so if I don't have to, I'm not going to.
                                        > >
                                        > > That depends on what you're doing. As you're using HTML 4 in the
                                        > current
                                        > > document you can capatialize any way you want all over the place,
                                        > all of
                                        > > the tags are case insensitive. Should you move to XHTML they all
                                        > MUST be
                                        > > lowercase. For all your file and path names you can also capitalize
                                        >
                                        > or
                                        > > not in any way that suits you, BUT contrary to Windows all Unix
                                        > servers
                                        > > are case sensitive. So you do have to write all those names exactly
                                        >
                                        > the
                                        > > same way everywhere. All lowercase is the easiest rule to ensure
                                        > this,
                                        > > but any other rule that suits you will do as well.
                                        > >
                                        > > Axel
                                        > >

                                        > Fookes Software Home: http://www.fookes.com

                                        Get your own web address.
                                        Message 19 of 20 , Mar 30, 2007
                                          sisterscape wrote:
                                          > There really isn't much difference between HTML and xhtml so
                                          > I don't know why you're dragging your feet.

                                          I'm not Christine, but I too stick to HTML. From the only programming
                                          language I was formally taught in one thing has stuck: Even if you use
                                          the newest compiler always write your code as backwards compatible as
                                          possible and only use new language elements if there is a real need,
                                          use, or advantage. There are few things so annoying as a simple program
                                          you know full well could run on your machine but won't, because the
                                          programmer has willfully used some unneeded switch or option.
                                          As of today I see no advantage of XHTML whatever. When the time comes
                                          that I want to do something that only XHTML can do or even that it can
                                          do better, then I'll change but not before.

                                          Axel
                                        • Christine
                                          Message 20 of 20 , Mar 30, 2007
                                            I think I love you.