Re: [NH] Crediting a Photograph

  • Greg Chapman
    Message 1 of 18 , Mar 26 9:12 AM
      Hi Lotta,

      On 26 Mar 07 15:15 loro <loro-spam01-@...> said:
      > Add 'margin-right: auto; margin-left: auto' for the div (that
      > already has a width).
      > <http://css-discuss.incutio.com/?page=CenteringBlockElement>

      Mmm! My page works in Firefox but not IE7. I see from the link on
      that page that it's all to do with that dreaded "quirks mode"
      behaviour. My test page has a tidy.exe inserted DOCTYPE of:

      I think I'll give up and go back to good old tables!

      At least I understand them! :-)

      Greg

      All New Yahoo! Mail � Tired of Vi@gr@! come-ons? Let our SpamGuard protect you. http://uk.docs.yahoo.com/nowyoucan.html
      Message 2 of 18 , Mar 26 9:53 AM
        Axel Berger wrote:
        >loro wrote:
        > > Add 'margin-right: auto; margin-left: auto' for the div
        > > (that already has a width).
        > > <http://css-discuss.incutio.com/?page=CenteringBlockElement>
        >
        >Yes, that is the correct way. Unfortunately it seems not to be reliably
        >supportet by many browsers.

        Not many. Old. The only one of significance is IE version 5.x and older.
        IE6 needs to be in Standards Mode IIRC. The workaround for old IE is simple
        enough. Use 'text-align: center on a containing element.

        body { text-align: center }
        #box { text-align: left;
        width: 500px; height: 100px;
        color: black; background: red;
        margin: auto }

        Message 3 of 18 , Mar 26 3:42 PM
          loro wrote:
          > Not many. Old.

          Don't know, I had that problem with the newest Firefox 1.5. Maybe it was
          because I did not use width but just a max-width and wanted centering
          when that was exceeded, but it didn't happen.

          OTOH I think it is the old ones we ought to support. If we conform to
          standards (that of course is a must, always) and early adopters install
          new junk that does not, tough.
          But if someone uses software she's content with and we use new gimmiks
          without any real need for them that break it and force her to upgrade,
          then that's the height of arrogance on our side. Even well known old
          bugs should be taken into account if possible within reasonable effort.
          Sure there may be reasons. Playing MP3s just can't be done on an IBM XT,
          so no upgrade no music and that can't be helped.

          But I just encountered the opposide. My old phone switchboard used a few
          menues to enter data and wrote them into the switchboard through a
          serial connection. All that under DOS and on my XT compatible DOS 5.0
          handheld. My new switchboard uses a few menues to enter data and writes
          them into the switchboard through a serial connection. But the software,
          if anything less useable than the old but with more colours, runs in
          interpreted Java and my notebook with 780 times the computing power of
          an XT can't keep up with the serial timing. Those nutters expect me to
          get a new computer just to stand out in the landing and log some calls.

          We web designers are often the same. We do not normally offer anything
          that an old browser wasn't designed to cope with, we only do it in a
          more garish way.

          (And yes, I may well be a purist leaning towards the puritan.)

          Message 4 of 18 , Mar 26 8:18 PM
            Axel Berger wrote:
            >Don't know, I had that problem with the newest Firefox 1.5. Maybe it was
            >because I did not use width but just a max-width and wanted centering
            >when that was exceeded, but it didn't happen.

            It works with max-width. But the box is always expanded to the max-width.

            >OTOH I think it is the old ones we ought to support.

            If you mean really old ones like Netscape 4 and the like, don't you think
            they are best supported by giving them unstyled pages? If you want
            everything to *look* exactly the same in every existing browser, then it's
            questionable if there is any point at all in using CSS.

            Message 5 of 18 , Mar 27 5:10 AM
              loro wrote:
              > don't you think they are best supported by giving them unstyled pages?

              Yes, of course I do. They need not look the same, but they have to be
              legible and useable. All too many new pages are a totally incoherent
              jumble with CSS turned off. And if some things just can't be done, then
              leave notes (display:hidden) "With style sheets you would ..." and "With
              Javascript on you could ..."
              The same for IE. If max-width and min-width don't work I need not go to
              enormous lengths to mock them up. But if the results without them become
              unacceptable I should think about an alternative. Perhaps, depending on
              content, a fixed width is the lesser evil.

              > It works with max-width. But the box is always expanded to the max-width.

              Don't know what I did wrong there, but for me it did not centre. The
              max-width as such worked fine.

              Message 6 of 18 , Mar 27 11:03 AM
                Axel Berger wrote:
                > Don't know what I did wrong there,

                I still do not, but now it works all of a sudden, so the mistake must
                have been mine. This is from my current central stylesheet:

                HTML { margin-left:1em; margin-right:1em}
                BODY { margin-left:auto; margin-right:auto; max-width:700px}

                I have found that while all browsers show unstyled pages alright they
                sometimes let the letters touch the left window border on styled ones,
                which is both ugly and makes text hard to read. That's what the margins
                in HTML are there to fix.

                Thanks for making me look at it again.

                Axel
              • bruce.somers@web.de
                Message 7 of 18 , Apr 2, 2007
                  loro-spam01-@... wrote

                  > If you want everything to *look* exactly the same in every
                  > existing browser, then it's questionable if there is any
                  > point at all in using CSS.

                  I would have expected CSS to AID one in "making everything look exactly the same in every existing browser."

                  That it does not, makes it nearly useless, or at the least terribly irritating.

                  Bruce
                • Corl DeLuna
                  Message 8 of 18 , Apr 2, 2007
                    Hi Bruce,

                    Yes, CSS can be terribly irritating, but not useless. Browse a few examples
                    of CSS in action to see what I mean: http://www.cssplay.co.uk/ and
                    http://www.csszengarden.com/ and consider
                    http://developer.yahoo.com/yui/reset/ to take most of the CSS blues away.

                    Best,
                    Corl

                    Message 9 of 18 , Apr 2, 2007
                      bruce.somers@... wrote:
                      >I would have expected CSS to AID one in "making everything look exactly
                      >the same in every existing browser."

                      That's a tall order if CSS isn't supported or disabled. Just joking you! ;-)
                      I was objecting the use of HTML to make things look pretty in old browsers
                      that can't handle the CSS. Likewise I see nothing wrong in adding some
                      fancy CSS fluff that maybe can't be seen in IE. It hurts no one. After all,
                      CSS is supposed to be optional.