Re: [NH] link menue

  • Don - HtmlFixIt.com
    Message 1 of 9 , Mar 9, 2007
      > Any ideas? How do you solve these things short of a content management
      > server?

      Yes I would use a content management system. I happen to like WordPress
      a lot!
      But you should check out includes (do php) or server side includes
      (shtml) if you don't want to do a content management system.
      Message 2 of 9 , Mar 9, 2007
        Axel Berger wrote:
        >In the latter case the menue needs to be part of every singele page. And
        >if I change it, I need to change every single one of them. In LaTeX I'd
        >use the \input statement for the menue-DIV but there seems to be nothing
        >like it in HTML (JS is not an option.)
        >
        >Any ideas? How do you solve these things short of a content management
        >server?

        You could use SSI (Server Side Includes) or PHP includes or whatever you
        have available to you on the server. The basic concept is that a "special
        tag" gets replaced with the content of a file you've specified before the
        server sends the page to the browser. So, keep the HTML for the menu in its
        own file, use the "special tag" wherever you want it to appear.

        Lotta
      • GilaMountainDulcimers.com
        Message 3 of 9 , Mar 9, 2007
          Axel,
          If you have a very obvious Home Page link on every page, in the same spot in every page that helps people -- if they get lost they can always go home and start over. I am in the middle of taking the tables out of a larger website and so I have some of the pages done and loaded and some of them are the old page -- but I am changing my menu through out eventually on all pages. I used a simple CSS menu on the left on that website and it has a LOT of links to other pages. I don't put it on every page, just the main pages.

          An example is my festivals pages. I have a link that says "Dulcimer Festivals" which takes you to a page that has a list of the months of the year, then on each month's page I have a Home page link and an e-mail page link because they can jump around all the different months and then go home. I have a list of Dulcimer clubs nationwide and I have done the same thing using the States of the union with a Home page link and an e-mail link on each page, but I am thinking about putting another link to the main clubs page on each page also.

          At the bottom of every page I put links to most of the main pages of the website. That is also good (or so I have heard) for the search engines. I read somewhere that if you have webrings or banner ads on your website, you should put a navigation menu for your website first and then those other things under it since the spiders will get into a webring and end up on several dozen other pages and won't get back to the rest of your website. So that is also why I put a bunch on main links on the bottom of my code.

          You can go take a look around -- I am not done yet. All I have done so far is the index page, the festivals and the clubs and a tribute page to a musician friend of mine that died last year. There are two style sheets, the old pages calling up the old one and the new pages calling up the new one until I get it all together. http://www.GilaMountaindulcimers.com

          Then I have another website that is way large and close to 200 pages (the Amazing Health Products site) that has a simple menu on the left and a more extensive one on the right. I put a site map link on every page and a "Products from A to Z" link on every page. If you do a view source and go find what I have named my CSS, then you can type it into your browser window with a / before it after the URL and my style sheet will come up for you to look around at. Cary knows I am really new to all this style sheet stuff so there might be a lot of code on there that isn't necessary, but it works! All my pages are still in the "tweeking" mode.

          Hugs,
          Kerry Coates in New Mexico
          Visit all my websites!
          http://www.GilaMountainDulcimers.com
          http://www.Amazing-Health-Products.com
          http://www.GamblingStrategyCards.com
          http://www.CharroCoats.com
          http://www.PaulCoatesGuitar.com

          Message 4 of 9 , Mar 9, 2007
            So how does that work? Give me an example of a "special tag" and how does it get called up???

            Hugs,
            Kerry Coates in New Mexico
            Visit all my websites!

            Message 5 of 9 , Mar 9, 2007
              GilaMountainDulcimers.com wrote:

              >So how does that work? Give me an example of a "special tag" and how does
              >it get called up???

              <!--#include virtual="/path/to/menu.inc" -->

              Note the space before "-->". "menu.inc" would contain the HTML for your
              menu. Normally files with the .shtml extension are parsed for SSI, but you
              can make the server parse .html files for SSI too. You can include not only
              files but server and browser variables (and then some). To try it, create a
              basic HTML page named something.shtm with for example the below in body and
              upload it to your server.

              Today is: <!--#echo var="DATE_GMT" --><br>
              Your IP number is: <!--#echo var="REMOTE_ADDR" --><br>
              This server runs: <!--#echo var="SERVER_SOFTWARE" -->

              If it works you should se something else when you go there with a browser.
              Google will find a lot of tutorials.
              http://google.com/search?q=SSI+tutorial

              Message 6 of 9 , Mar 9, 2007
                wow. Thanks, Lotta! I will have to play with that one. Thanks for all the information!!

                Hugs,
                Kerry Coates in New Mexico
                Visit all my websites!

                Message 7 of 9 , Mar 10, 2007
                  "GilaMountainDulcimers.com" wrote:
                  > You can go take a look around
                  > http://www.GilaMountaindulcimers.com

                  If you don't mind me saying so, that homepage looks terrible with CSS
                  off. My priorities are:

                  1) The page must be fully satisfactory in naked HTML alone.
                  2) It must also be as good as it can be with images switched off.
                  No invisible navigation is a matter of course, but I also do not
                  like huge empty white spaces.
                  3) CSS is an optional extra. (So if you have a DIV with assorted
                  links and a DIV for content always place the second first in your
                  source, not the other way round as most people do.)
                  4) JS is an optional extra. Always assume the kind of people I want
                  to attract to have it off as a matter of course.

                  By the way your small images with links underneath force me to scroll
                  horizontally. You may want to take a look at
                  http://home.arcor.de/axelberger/Bilder/Is-05/D17/index.html
                  I still have an unsolved problem with captions longer than the width of
                  the image, but it should work for you as is.

                  N.B: Thanks for your suggestions, Don and Lotta, but only one of the
                  servers I have to work with does PHP and the others nothing, no server
                  side includes any of them. So it will be frames then. They are also the
                  easiest to switch on and off (defaulting to off) according to the
                  reader's request.

                  Axel
                • Corl DeLuna
                  Message 8 of 9 , Mar 10, 2007
                    Hi Axel,

                    If you are looking for a non-JS menu I'd look at some of the amazing
                    css-only menus over at http://www.cssplay.co.uk/menus/index.html and as long
                    as you use a consistent menu it would be easy to change them site wide with
                    a Search Disk Find and Replace. I love Stu's stuff. You might see some
                    solutions there for displaying your photographs as well.

                    For frames done right I recommend
                    http://www4.tripnet.se/~slarti/f_frmde2_uk.htm Before someone chimes in
                    with"Frames are Evil," I say frames haven't been done correctly, and this
                    guy shows the fundamentals of how to make what I call strong framesets that
                    overcome most every problem associated with frames, except a legal one. Last
                    I checked SBC Communications was enforcing its patents on what it claims is
                    any use of frame-like user interfaces in Web sites.
                    http://www.theregister.co.uk/content/6/28985.html I plan on making a profit
                    from my websites, so this is the only thing that stops me from using
                    framesets.

                    There are many other tweaks and thoughts I have compiled on building strong
                    framesets should you elect to go this route.

                    Best,
                    Corl

                    _____