Stuck URLs

  • Caitlin
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 26, 2000
      Hello! I just posted this on the basic notetab list, and Jody referred
      me to this one.

      I am having problems with links in a page not accepting a change.
      There are no problems with the script, the page does not need to be
      reloaded or refreshed, but for some reason, it needs to be renamed in
      order to work. I explain this in more detail below, and if you want to
      see for yourself, go to
      http://www.whitewatervoyages.com/planning/planning.html and look at
      the script, comparing it to what happens when you click on "Directions
      to your rendezvous point."

      I had a page called
      http://www.whitewatervoyages.com/directions/directions.html. It had a
      link to
      http://www.whitewatervoyages.com/caitlin/cherryrendezvous.html. I
      changed that page's name (and folder) to
      http://www.whitewatervoyages.com/directions/cherryrendezvous.html.
      After replacing the link in directions.html (I put the whole link in
      the script, reading
      http://www.whitewatervoyages.com/directions/cherryrendezvous.html
      instead of something like cherryrendezvous.html; actually I tried
      both and neither worked), refreshing and reloading several times on
      the server, directions.html would still only accept the old link,
      sending the browser to
      www.whitewatervoyages.com/caitlin/cherryrendezvous.html, even though
      it no longer existed and was written up in the html text to go to
      directions/cherryrendezvous.html and the appropriate page had been
      moved to the appropriate folder.

      When I renamed directions.html to directionsindex.html, the link to
      cherryrendezvous.html worked. In other words, technically in the
      script of the page, everything was correct to support the new link,
      but for some reason directions.html had to be renamed and recognized
      as an entirely new page to accept the link. It was no problem to
      change directions.html to directionsindex.html, but a link to
      directions.html also existed in a page called planning/planning.html,
      and this time, planning.html would not change the link directions.html
      to directionsindex.html. I suspect that this is the exact same problem
      since I went through the same comprehensive procedures as above, but
      there is no way I can change the name of planning.html as I would have
      to rework the entire site which is huge!

      In summary, there are no errors in the html script. The server does
      not need to be refreshed or reloaded. For some reason, the page has
      to be renamed in order to accept the changed link. I don't understand
      why!

      Thank you!
      Caitlin