Re: [NH] Re: Using CSS to space lists & paragraphs

  • bruce.somers@web.de
    Message 1 of 44 , Mar 5, 2007
      Thanks Marcello -

      > Can that be due to the characters '--', embedded in the comment?
      > All should be treated as simple text right up to the -->!

      Yes, that's exactly it. Double hyphens inside comments should be
      avoided, because it can confuse some software.

      Including the W3-Validator? That is quite sobering.

      It also chokes on,
      Error Line 363 column 53: end tag for element "FONT" which is not open.
      document.write("<font class=gr1>"+todaysDate+"</font>");

      which I find surprising, not to say disappointing.

      > But you are right in that it's a good idea to begin weeding out those elements and acquiring new coding habits; XHTML 2 breaks a lot of stuff, but also has a lot of good points, and as soon as it becomes feasible to do so, I'll start coding in it. If I do some forward looking now, when the time comes the adjustments will be not be that hard to do.

      When you have gotten that far, there will be a new version that renders it all out-of-date. "Backward compatibility" is considered a dirty word in the PC world!

      Mike Breding wrote:

      I suggest joining http://www.css-discuss.org/ for help with this and any issues concerning CSS.
      -Mike

      Thanks for that link. It will take a while to decide what is there. It's pretty voluminous.

      Bruce

      And now, I will return you to your regularly scheduled program.
      My problem is solved for the moment.
    • Scott Fordin
      Message 44 of 44 , Mar 9, 2007
        absalom_nemini wrote:
        > I have to admit to being appalled. From LaTeX I had expected the
        > following snippet to give visible results:
        >
        > <P>
        > And he said:<BR>
        > <CITE>There is a word here needing to be <EM>emphasized</EM>
        > regardless of context.</CITE><BR>
        > <B>A sentiment to which I <STRONG>strongly</STRONG> agree.</B>
        > </P>

        For better or worse, HTML has become more of a de facto formatting
        language rather than a structure-oriented markup language. The DTD
        is lax enough that you can get away with all sorts of illogical
        structuring schemes -- for example, the hierarchy of heading tags
        (h1, h2, h3, etc.) is not enforced. On the one hand, it's made it
        easy for millions of pages to be written by non-coding types,
        giving us all sorts of wonderful stuff that probably wouldn't
        occur to the aforementioned coding types. On the other hand, it's
        created all sorts of issues around browser compatibility, made it
        very difficult to programmatically port or integrate markup in
        other pages or web-based applications, and has engendered page
        design horror shows analogous to the multifont, carny colored
        nightmares we saw in the early days of Apple and Mac page layout
        programs... the digital equivalents of purple shag carpeting and
        cheesy faux-wood basement paneling!

        As a telling example, note that converting SGML->HTML is generally
        a straightforward process, whereas all bets are off when converting
        HTML->SGML. In some ways, we're starting to see the code hit the
        fan with the rise of XML, XHTML, PHP coding models, which are
        usually more strict (depending on your DTD), and are now learning
        how it's often really painful to suck existing HTML pages in to
        new content structures.

        This said, one reason I generally prefer structural markup to
        physical markup is that it makes it potentially easier to
        repurpose content for things I haven't even anticipated yet --
        and I'm just vain enough to hope that some of my old pages might
        find their ways into these new content models!

        Scott
        (Coding sermonette #3746.12)