Re: [NH] Re: Using CSS to space lists & paragraphs

  • Marcelo de Castro Bastos
    Message 1 of 44 , Mar 5, 2007
      On the last exciting episode, aired on 5/3/2007 10:16,
      bruce.somers@... invited the wrath of the gods by saying:

      > A colleague of mine insists on using "BGPROPERTIES".. He LOVES MS Internet Explorer. He will not see that as a error, no matter what the Validator says!

      Sorry, but nonstandard is nonstandard. If you wish your code to work
      correctly in more than one browser, you should use standard HTML.

      > I can't make anything of this one:
      > Error Line 60 column 30: invalid comment declaration: found name start character outside comment but inside comment declaration.

      > What is the "name start character" here? Is that meant to be "name-start character"?
      >
      > Or this one:
      > Error Line 60 column 31: character data is not allowed here.

      > r and w are allowed, but an o is not? I must be misinterpreting something.
      >
      > Can that be due to the characters '--', embedded in the comment? All should be treated as simple text right up to the -->!

      Yes, that's exactly it. Double hyphens inside comments should be
      avoided, because it can confuse some software.

      > <.font> element has been deprecated for a while now. However, the way you are using it, just to link to a style, you could replace them with <.span> tags with hardly any change to the rest of the code.
      >
      > "hardly any change"? I prefer no interdependencies.

      Meaning...?
      When I say "hardly any changes" is because you will probably need to
      change a few details on the CSS. For instance, instead of having an
      entry called "font.b2", you would need a "span.b2" or a ".b2" entry.

      > Then, you are not using paragraphs, not really. You are using <.br> tags to simulate paragraphs. Unless you turn to using real paragraphs
      > (<.p></p> element), I don't see any need to be closing and opening the <.font> element in between pseudo-paragraphs.
      >
      > Can you influence the spacing when you use paragraph-tags? Or are you stuck with a rather small, fixed separation?

      Of course you can. With a lot more control, too. That's what margins
      and padding are for. CSS is your friend.

      Marcelo

      -=-=-
      Skating away on the thin ice of a new day.
      * TagZilla 0.066 on Seamonkey 1.1
    • Scott Fordin
      Message 44 of 44 , Mar 9, 2007
        absalom_nemini wrote:
        > I have to admit to being appalled. From LaTeX I had expected the
        > following snippet to give visible results:
        >
        > <P>
        > And he said:<BR>
        > <CITE>There is a word here needing to be <EM>emphasized</EM>
        > regardless of context.</CITE><BR>
        > <B>A sentiment to which I <STRONG>strongly</STRONG> agree.</B>
        > </P>

        For better or worse, HTML has become more of a de facto formatting
        language rather than a structure-oriented markup language. The DTD
        is lax enough that you can get away with all sorts of illogical
        structuring schemes -- for example, the hierarchy of heading tags
        (h1, h2, h3, etc.) is not enforced. On the one hand, it's made it
        easy for millions of pages to be written by non-coding types,
        giving us all sorts of wonderful stuff that probably wouldn't
        occur to the aforementioned coding types. On the other hand, it's
        created all sorts of issues around browser compatibility, made it
        very difficult to programmatically port or integrate markup in
        other pages or web-based applications, and has engendered page
        design horror shows analogous to the multifont, carny colored
        nightmares we saw in the early days of Apple and Mac page layout
        programs... the digital equivalents of purple shag carpeting and
        cheesy faux-wood basement paneling!

        As a telling example, note that converting SGML->HTML is generally
        a straightforward process, whereas all bets are off when converting
        HTML->SGML. In some ways, we're starting to see the code hit the
        fan with the rise of XML, XHTML, PHP coding models, which are
        usually more strict (depending on your DTD), and are now learning
        how it's often really painful to suck existing HTML pages in to
        new content structures.

        This said, one reason I generally prefer structural markup to
        physical markup is that it makes it potentially easier to
        repurpose content for things I haven't even anticipated yet --
        and I'm just vain enough to hope that some of my old pages might
        find their ways into these new content models!

        Scott
        (Coding sermonette #3746.12)