Re: [NH] Re: Using CSS to space lists & paragraphs

  • bruce.somers@web.de
    Message 1 of 44 , Mar 5, 2007
      sisterscape wrote
      > I'm not seeing it here either. Could you please check some of my sites at http://www.eartherdesigns.com to see if it crops up on your screen?
      > If not, then it might be a CSS problem - perhaps your p has incomplete attributes and the browser in filling in the blanks.

      All right - here is a test. Maybe we are onto something.

      Look at http://www.maireadnesbitt.com/_bruce/10240768ff.html if you will.

      The longer paragraph is shown twice on this page.

      In the first of those two, there is no space in the code between the end of the paragraph and the closing tag, </font> , and extra space is displayed above the last line in the display.

      In the second of those two, there is a space in the code between the end of the paragraph and the closing tag, <./font> , and the line-spacing is uniform.

      Code for the first of the 2 paragraphs:
      <.font class=b2><.br><.br>Celtic Woman's new DVD and CD, entitled <.b>'A New Journey'<./b>, was shot in Slane Castle, Co. Meath, on the 23rd and 24th of August 2006, with soloists Máiréad Nesbitt, Méav Ní Mhaolchatha, Lisa Kelly, Chloë Agnew, Orla Fallon and Hayley Westenra. It was released in N. America on the 31st of January 2007. A tour to promote 'A New Journey' started in Tampa, Florida on the 14th of Febuary and will continue all over N. America until late June.<./font>

      Code for the second of the 2 paragraphs.
      <.font class=b2><.br><.br>Celtic Woman's new DVD and CD, entitled <.b>'A New Journey'<./b>, was shot in Slane Castle, Co. Meath, on the 23rd and 24th of August 2006, with soloists Máiréad Nesbitt, Méav Ní Mhaolchatha, Lisa Kelly, Chloë Agnew, Orla Fallon and Hayley Westenra. It was released in N. America on the 31st of January 2007. A tour to promote 'A New Journey' started in Tampa, Florida on the 14th of Febuary and will continue all over N. America until late June. <./font>

      <.font class=b2> refers to

      font.b2{
      color:#000000;
      background:transparent;
      font-size:12px;

      I observe the descrepancy with
      Firefox 2.0.0.2
      MS Internet Explorer 6.0
      Netscape 9.01
      Netscape 9.0.3.3
      Mozilla 1.7.8

      Both versions are rendered correctly with
      Opera 9.01

      Are we onto aomething?

      The texts appear uniform to me on http://www.eartherdesigns.com .

      Bruce

      I have added a period to all opening characters (less-than sign) for HTML-tags (in this mail only. of course), to prevent mail systems from interpreting the HTML.

      Should I cross my fingers, too?
    • Scott Fordin
      Message 44 of 44 , Mar 9, 2007
        absalom_nemini wrote:
        > I have to admit to being appalled. From LaTeX I had expected the
        > following snippet to give visible results:
        >
        > <P>
        > And he said:<BR>
        > <CITE>There is a word here needing to be <EM>emphasized</EM>
        > regardless of context.</CITE><BR>
        > <B>A sentiment to which I <STRONG>strongly</STRONG> agree.</B>
        > </P>

        For better or worse, HTML has become more of a de facto formatting
        language rather than a structure-oriented markup language. The DTD
        is lax enough that you can get away with all sorts of illogical
        structuring schemes -- for example, the hierarchy of heading tags
        (h1, h2, h3, etc.) is not enforced. On the one hand, it's made it
        easy for millions of pages to be written by non-coding types,
        giving us all sorts of wonderful stuff that probably wouldn't
        occur to the aforementioned coding types. On the other hand, it's
        created all sorts of issues around browser compatibility, made it
        very difficult to programmatically port or integrate markup in
        other pages or web-based applications, and has engendered page
        design horror shows analogous to the multifont, carny colored
        nightmares we saw in the early days of Apple and Mac page layout
        programs... the digital equivalents of purple shag carpeting and
        cheesy faux-wood basement paneling!

        As a telling example, note that converting SGML->HTML is generally
        a straightforward process, whereas all bets are off when converting
        HTML->SGML. In some ways, we're starting to see the code hit the
        fan with the rise of XML, XHTML, PHP coding models, which are
        usually more strict (depending on your DTD), and are now learning
        how it's often really painful to suck existing HTML pages in to
        new content structures.

        This said, one reason I generally prefer structural markup to
        physical markup is that it makes it potentially easier to
        repurpose content for things I haven't even anticipated yet --
        and I'm just vain enough to hope that some of my old pages might
        find their ways into these new content models!

        Scott
        (Coding sermonette #3746.12)