Re: Jody is in hospital

  • sam_henry11
    Message 1 of 8 , Feb 22, 2007
      Thanks for posting this information. Wow.. This is terrible news. I
      am especially sorry to hear he is in physical pain as well.

      Jody is going to be missed terribly-- He has been a total Notetab'er
      for as long as I have been using it, which is about 6 years now....

      My heart goes out to Jody and his family during this time of
      struggle. I am happy to send money for flowers or something for his
      family-- I feel it is the least I can do after all of the help Jody
      has given me over the years.

      Sincerely,
      Sam

      --- In ntb-html@yahoogroups.com, Eric Fookes <egroups@...> wrote:

      > Hi everyone,
      >
      > I have received permission from Jody's wife to give you information
      > about his health situation.
      >
      > Jody was rushed to hospital at the beginning of the month and has
      been
      > diagnosed with last stage cancer. he has been moved to the hospice
      a few
      > days ago. According to his wife, Doreen, Jody won't be returning
      home.
      > If you would like to send Jody something or visit him, his address
      is as
      > follows:
      >
      > Joseph Adair Rm. #302
      > West FL Hospital
      > 8383 N. Davis Hwy.
      > Pensacola, FL 32514
      >
      > If you want to make a donation to help out Jody and his family, you
      can
      > do so to Doreen's PayPal account: w8n4him@...
      >
      > Here's an extract of the latest news I have received from Doreen:
      >
      > ************
      > Jody is still pretty alert, and even walks to the bathroom. Most of
      his
      > memory is coming back. He complains of pain every time he is awake.
      The
      > Dr. says that they have to gradually increase the pain meds.
      >
      > Jody was confused why he was in the hospital, and that no one
      seemed to
      > be trying to cure him of his pain. He kept talking about going
      home, so
      > I had to tell him why he was there. This way he could tell me if
      there
      > is anything special that he needs done, such as funeral services. I
      > brought him his laptop, but he couldn't remember his password to
      log on.
      > If he has a really good day soon, he will probably use the laptop.
      Maybe
      > you will receive a message from him!
      > ************
      >
      > --
      > Regards,
      >
      > Eric Fookes
      > http://www.fookes.com/

    • Eric Fookes
      Message 2 of 8 , Feb 23, 2007
        Hi everyone,

        Here's the latest news from Jody's wife:

        I stayed with Jody all day yesterday, and all he did was sleep. I just
        called the hospice this morning and they said he slept all night, too.
        If he continues sleeping, it will signal that he is much closer to
        passing on.
        Yesterday, he woke up just long enough to have one bite of food, but
        spit it out after a minute. He is drinking very little liquids now, too.
        Hospice will not interfere with force feeding him(such as a tube), since
        he is terminal. He sleeps well, so I believe he is at least out of pain.
        He is ready to meet the Lord, and will be happy when that day comes.

        Eric Fookes
        http://www.fookes.com/
      • Eric Fookes
        Message 3 of 8 , Feb 28, 2007
          Hi everyone,

          I am sad to announce that Jody passed away last night at around 2 am
          (Florida time). Jody was a very good friend and he will be greatly
          missed. I am happy though that he's no longer suffering and I believe he
          is now with the Lord.

          The very first message I received from Jody was on May 10, 1997. Since
          then there has been a flood of emails between us that never stopped
          until end of January 2007 when he was rushed to hospital.

          Looking through my email archives I found that Jody started the first
          NoteTab mailing list in October 1997. He started handling some NoteTab
          sales (checks, money orders) in spring 1998 and officially became a
          member of the Fookes Software team. Then around November 1998, Jody
          started handling NoteTab customer support and has done so faithfully for
          all Fookes Software titles until last month.

          I only met Jody once in person. That was in July 2000 when I invited him
          to join me at the Shareware Industry Conference in Tampa. NoteTab Light
          was announced the winner of the 2000 "Shareware Industry Awards" in the
          Best Application category during that event. It was thrilling to
          celebrate the award together. Unfortunately, I haven't had the
          opportunity to return to the USA since then.

          Fookes Software won't be quite the same anymore without Jody.

          Eric Fookes
          http://www.fookes.com/
        • Scott Fordin
          Message 4 of 8 , Feb 28, 2007
            While Eric is the heart and brain behind the Fookes line,
            Jody was the soul of the Notetab community. So many times,
            when people ask me about one of the most useful software
            tools around, Notetab Pro, I invariably talk about the
            Notetab community. Besides the technical excellence of the
            software, it is the community that truly sets Notetab apart
            -- making it not just a tool, but a place where supportive,
            inquisitive minds have been meeting for years. Jody was the
            soul that kept this community on track, focused, sympathetic,
            respectful, responsive, helpful, and remarkably active.

            As much as many of us were helped by Jody over the years and
            will very much miss his kind spirit, our pain at his loss has
            to pale against the pain you must be feeling, Eric, at the
            loss of your friend and colleague, and the pain Jody's family
            must be feeling right now. I am so sorry for your and their
            loss. Peace be with you and with Jody's family.

            Scott
          • Eric Fookes
            Message 5 of 8 , Mar 1, 2007
              Hi everyone,

              Thanks for all the kind messages concerning Jody. His wife, Doreen, just
              sent the following details about the funeral:

              **********************
              Jody's funeral will be held next Wednesday, March 7 at 12 noon at Lewis
              Funeral Home in Milton on Hwy. 90. The burial will be at Barrancas
              Cemetery in Pensacola at 2 pm. On Tuesday, March 6, the funeral home
              will be open for visitors from 6-8 pm.
              **********************

              Sadly, I will not be able to attend the event due to visa issues.
              Perhaps one of you lives nearby and would like to attend the funeral?

              Eric Fookes
              http://www.fookes.com/
            • Eric Fookes
              Message 6 of 8 , Mar 2, 2007
                Hi everyone,

                Here is the home address of Jody's wife if you want to send a card or
                something else:

                Mrs. Doreen Adair
                10535 Pinewood Lane
                Milton, FL 32583
                USA

                Eric Fookes
                http://www.fookes.com/
              • Eric Fookes
                Message 7 of 8 , Mar 6, 2007
                  Hi everyone,

                  Here is the email address of Jody's wife if you want to write her a
                  message: Doreen Adair <w8n4him@...>

                  Spelling it out the address is w8n4him at earthlink dot net.

                  And here is a copy of Jody's obituary:
                  http://www.fookes.com/Jody_obituary.php

                  Eric Fookes
                  http://www.fookes.com/