Re: [NH] image load times and height/width specified in HTML

  • Greg Chapman
    Message 1 of 9 , Feb 20, 2007
      Hi Mike,

      On 20 Feb 07 14:02 Mike Breiding - Morgantown WV <mike@...>
      said:
      > Does the specified size of an image reflect it's load time?

      No.

      All that matters is the size of the file.

      The slowest part of process from clicking a link to view a page and
      its eventual display on your machine is the transmission of the
      request and delivery of the page and associated files. The larger the
      files to be received the longer it takes. The processing time to
      re-size an image once it has been received is negligible.

      To test this just point your browser at a large image file, perhaps a
      photograph from a digital camera uploaded to your web space. Modern
      browsers normally re-size the image so it fits the browser window.
      Once its arrived use the appropriate method to view it full size and
      toggle back again... It's instantaneous, isn't it?

      Obviously, with a file as small as 50k the delays may not be
      noticable, especially on a broadband connection, but re-sizing by the
      browser takes only microseconds, its the transmission that takes tens
      of seconds.

      Greg

    • Jeff Scism
      Message 2 of 9 , Feb 20, 2007
        Go with EzThumbs, it does a wonderful job of creating thumbnails and is
        free from the fine folks at Fookes Software...

        Mike Breiding - Morgantown WV wrote: Thanks, Jeff.

        > Changing the width/height dimensions was just a quick and dirty/lazy way
        > for me to get smaller images.
        > I suspected smaller files would be the only way to accomplish faster
        >
        > -Mike

      • Don - HtmlFixIt.com
        Message 3 of 9 , Feb 20, 2007
          Jeff Scism wrote:
          > Go with EzThumbs, it does a wonderful job of creating thumbnails and is
          > free from the fine folks at Fookes Software...

          totally agree - EZ Thumbnails is a great little program

          people are correct -- resizing does take time for the processor, but
          such an insignificant amount that it isn't of any concern -- it can also
          affect quality, but again insignificantly in most cases

          the only advantage of giving them the whole 50K file when they could be
          using a much smaller file sized thumbnail is that it is then essentially
          preloaded ... but if you are doing that for five images and they aren't
          necessarily going to look at all of them ... you are wasting bandwidth
          which means time for them and expense for you or your isp and that
          eventually drives the cost up. Wasted bandwidth is a bad thing -- even
          if the rest of the world doesn't understand that.
        • sisterscape
          Message 4 of 9 , Feb 20, 2007
            --- "Don - HtmlFixIt.com" <don@...> wrote:

            > Jeff Scism wrote:
            >
            > totally agree - EZ Thumbnails is a great little program

            I also put a vote in for EZ Thumbnails. Absolutely LOVE it.

            Yahoo! Music Unlimited
            Access over 1 million songs.
            http://music.yahoo.com/unlimited
          • Mike Breiding - Morgantown WV
            Message 5 of 9 , Feb 20, 2007
              At 12:13 PM 2/20/2007 , you wrote:
              >--- "Don - HtmlFixIt.com" <don@...> wrote:
              >
              > > Jeff Scism wrote:>
              > > totally agree - EZ Thumbnails is a great little program.
              >
              >I also put a vote in for EZ Thumbnails. Absolutely LOVE it.

              Thanks to everyone for their input.

              I use <http://www.faststone.org/FSViewerDetail.htm>FastStone Image Viewer
              to generate thumbnails and resize my pics.
              I have found it to be more robust and flexible than most thumbnail generators.
              And, it does, much, much more - all for the low, low price of freeware.

              -Mike

              Check it out:
              www.EpicRoadTrips.us

              ~~~