Validators

  • Corl DeLuna
    Message 1 of 7 , Jan 17, 2007
      Hi,

      I see CSE HTML Validator Lite promoted is this group all the time, but not
      Igor Podlubny's Off-line HTML Validator clipbook for NoteTab
      http://www.tuke.sk/podlubny/ov.html

      Both are free, but the clip is made to be used within NT. Is there a reason
      that I should use the CSE program over the clip?

      Thanks,
      Corl

    • John Mitchell
      Message 2 of 7 , Jan 17, 2007
        I'd also be interested in users opinions about CSE HTML Validator 8.x
        vs. 7.x. There is a discounted upgrade offer in play at the moment so
        I'm considering whether there is enough of a difference to make it worth
        spending an extra $23 or so.

        Regards, John M

        Message 3 of 7 , Jan 17, 2007
          Corl DeLuna wrote:

          > I see CSE HTML Validator Lite promoted is this group all the time, but not
          > Igor Podlubny's Off-line HTML Validator clipbook for NoteTab
          > http://www.tuke.sk/podlubny/ov.html
          >
          > Both are free, but the clip is made to be used within NT. Is there a
          reason
          > that I should use the CSE program over the clip?

          As you've probably seen, the clip requires another external validator engine
          so it's a matter of taste as to which program you wish to use. CSE 7 can't
          validate using nsgmls. Version 8 can, but it only works with Windows 2000,
          XP or above. If you have CSE installed then Notetab will use it when you
          select the menu item, "Tools">"Validate HTML". CSE also includes editing
          features and versions 7 and 8 can be used with this handy Firefox extension.
          https://addons.mozilla.org/firefox/887/

          John M wrote:
          > I'd also be interested in users opinions about CSE HTML Validator 8.x
          > vs. 7.x. There is a discounted upgrade offer in play at the moment so
          > I'm considering whether there is enough of a difference to make it worth
          > spending an extra $23 or so.

          Hard to say. Have you taken a look at the new features?
          http://www.htmlvalidator.com/htmlval/history.html
          Message 4 of 7 , Jan 17, 2007
            Corl DeLuna wrote:
            >I see CSE HTML Validator Lite promoted is this group all the time, but not
            >Igor Podlubny's Off-line HTML Validator clipbook for NoteTab
            >http://www.tuke.sk/podlubny/ov.html
            >
            >Both are free, but the clip is made to be used within NT. Is there a reason
            >that I should use the CSE program over the clip?

            Not if you want a validator which CSE is not. It just likes to call itself
            that. It's really a "lint".

            The line in the footer is just advertising. If you want to support Notetab
            and the lists, rather buy another copy of Notetab from Jody and give it to
            someone you like. :-)

            Lotta
          • John Zeman
            Message 5 of 7 , Jan 18, 2007
              --- In ntb-html@yahoogroups.com, "John Mitchell" <notetab@...> wrote:

              > I'd also be interested in users opinions about CSE HTML Validator 8.x
              > vs. 7.x. There is a discounted upgrade offer in play at the moment so
              > I'm considering whether there is enough of a difference to make it worth
              > spending an extra $23 or so.
              >
              > Regards, John M

              John I've been a registered user of CSE HTML Validator Pro since 2001
              and have purchased every major upgrade to it since then including V8.
              While I wouldn't be without the program I have to admit V8 is likely
              the last upgrade I'll make. I didn't see much added to V8 over V7
              (although V7 was well worth the upgrade price IMO) and it's appearing
              to me the product is reaching the end of its life cycle. At the very
              least I plan to skip the next major upgrade or two.

              There's only so much any validator can do and IMHO CSE does its job
              very well. I just don't see where there's much left that can be added
              to the program to make it worth the price of a major upgrade once a
              year or so.

              John
            • Corl DeLuna
              Message 6 of 7 , Jan 18, 2007
                Hi Lotta,

                I hadn't recognized that as an advertisement because it's only a link to a
                download on 5wink's private account, and it's because well... 2.5 versions
                out of date, the latest free version of CSE is 8.01. Its placement in Fookes
                footer makes it appear as a recommendation.

                Igor Podlubny's clip gives me the same results as
                <http://validator.w3.org/> http://validator.w3.org/ but it keeps my work
                private. It's good to know I'm not missing out by not using CSE.

                Thanks,
                Corl

                _____

              • carydriscoll@sbcglobal.net
                Message 7 of 7 , Jan 18, 2007
                  It appears to be the same link Jody put here:

                  I hadn't recognized that as an advertisement...