Re: [NH] character encoding question

    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 8, 2007
      Bruce Meyers wrote:
      >One of my books says that I should declare the character encoding
      >in my web pages using a meta statement and set it for iso-8859-1
      >and another book says I should set it for utf-8. I know the form of
      >the meta statement I should use to do this, I just dont' know which one
      >to pick

      It doesn't matter really if you only write English, or Swedish for that
      matter. It boils down to that you need to use a character set that contains
      the characters you are using.

      A side note, if you declare UTF-8 and write your stuff in Notetab, you are
      in practice limited to Ascii characters because those are the only ones
      that are encoded the same in iso-8859-1 and Unicode. If you want to write
      for example Swedish words with åäö you'd have to use entities for the
      extended characters. You don't have to do that if you stick to iso-8859-1
      (or use an editor that can save as UTF-8).

      Side note 2, it's more important that the correct charset is sent as a
      header by the server. The meta is more of a fallback.

      And now I feel that headache coming on again as it always does when I have
      to think about character issues, so I'd better bow out. ;-o)