character encoding question

  • Bruce Meyers
    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 8, 2007
      One of my books says that I should declare the character encoding
      in my web pages using a meta statement and set it for iso-8859-1
      and another book says I should set it for utf-8. I know the form of
      the meta statement I should use to do this, I just dont' know which one
      to pick

      A little searching got me some information about each one of these but
      was no help in deciding if one was better than the other. I do not do
      anything fancy or require special characters.

      Can anyone advise me as to which of these two I should use? Thanks.

      Bruce Meyers
    • Corl DeLuna
      Message 2 of 3 , Jan 8, 2007
        Hi Bruce,

        While iso-8859-1 is no longer the encoding recommendation du jour, it's
        saftely rooted in the past, and should have the greatest browser support,
        which is why I use it. utf-8 is the future of character encoding, but I'm
        unclear how much browser support it has being a relatively new
        recommendation.

        Interesting article
        http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ISO_8859-1

        Hope this helps,
        Corl

        _____

        Message 3 of 3 , Jan 8, 2007
          Bruce Meyers wrote:
          >One of my books says that I should declare the character encoding
          >in my web pages using a meta statement and set it for iso-8859-1
          >and another book says I should set it for utf-8. I know the form of
          >the meta statement I should use to do this, I just dont' know which one
          >to pick

          It doesn't matter really if you only write English, or Swedish for that
          matter. It boils down to that you need to use a character set that contains
          the characters you are using.

          A side note, if you declare UTF-8 and write your stuff in Notetab, you are
          in practice limited to Ascii characters because those are the only ones
          that are encoded the same in iso-8859-1 and Unicode. If you want to write
          for example Swedish words with åäö you'd have to use entities for the
          extended characters. You don't have to do that if you stick to iso-8859-1
          (or use an editor that can save as UTF-8).

          Side note 2, it's more important that the correct charset is sent as a
          header by the server. The meta is more of a fallback.

          And now I feel that headache coming on again as it always does when I have
          to think about character issues, so I'd better bow out. ;-o)